Data Scientist III - Veteran's Health Administration
- Job Title
- Data Scientist III - Veteran's Health Administration
- Job ID
- Washington, DC
- Other Location
Data Scientist III
Washington, DC - Hybrid
@Orchard LLC is supporting a not-for-profit corporation that partners with public and private sectors to create high-quality, safe, and efficient delivery of health care and human services programs. Our client is a national leader in fighting fraud, waste, and abuse for large organizations across the country and has multiple lines of business including population health, utilization review, managed care organization quality review, and quality assurance for programs serving individuals with developmental disabilities. In addition, they operate a foundation providing grant opportunities to those with programs for under-served communities.
We have an immediate opening for a Data Scientist III position to work with the Veterans Health Administration (VHA). This is a mid-level professional position that applies innovative and big-data driven problem solving skills to predict the future based on past patterns. This position designs experiments to solve sophisticated problems with code, builds predictive models and machine learning algorithms and identifies the questions that need to be asked and answered with data based on business problems, with the goal of helping the organization make better decisions. The Data Scientist III possesses specialized experience in statistics and machine learning algorithms in addition to a strong business acumen and advanced coding and data visualization skills.
As a Data Scientist III, your responsibilities will include:
- Work directly with client stakeholders to understand and define analysis objectives and then translate these into actionable results.
- Develop a deep understanding of all the data relevant to the problem to be addressed. Utilize data wrangling capabilities to handle diverse and complex data at any scale to make analytics process more efficient and accurate.
- Establish deterministic and probabilistic linkages between structured and unstructured data sources and develop ways to extract and summarize the sought information in the data using a wide variety of statistical, data mining and machine learning techniques.
- Use machine learning and data mining techniques to understand the patterns in large volumes of data, identify relationships, correlate disparate datasets, detect data anomalies, and classify data sets.
- Design and build algorithms and predictive models using techniques such as linear and logistic regression, support vector machines, ensemble models (random forest and/or gradient boosted trees), neural networks, and clustering techniques.
- Converts designs and specifications into computer code. Compiles code into programs and corrects errors. Analyzes code to find causes of errors and revises programs.
- Create prototypes of productizable ways to perform the analysis at scale, provide documentation and help educate your colleagues.
- Validate and optimize model performance upon deployment and tracking over time as necessary.
- Present complex analysis results tailored to different audiences (e.g. technical, manager, executive) in a highly consumable and actionable form including the use of data visualizations.
- Work closely with client, product, and engineering teams to turn data into critical information and knowledge that can be used to make sound organizational and analytical decisions. Collaborate with these groups to incorporate Data Science capabilities into the organization’s products and services.
- Create opportunities to educate, train, convene, and support clients in how to best leverage data science.
- Assist leadership with strategies for scaling successful projects across the organization.
- Mentor lower level Data Scientists in all technical aspects of their work.
- Conduct causality experiments by applying A/B experiments or epidemiological approach to identify the root issues of an observed result.
- U.S. Citizenship or Permanent Resident status is required.
- Master’s degree in quantitative field such as applied mathematics, statistics, biostatistics, physics, computer science, or operations research required.
- Minimum of 4 years work experience in a machine learning-focused role, including data extraction and cleaning, exploratory analysis, predictive modeling, monitoring of algorithms, coding and data visualization or a demonstrated equivalent combination of education and work experience in a relevant role.
- Demonstrated understanding and ability to apply data analysis and machine learning across multiple domain areas.
- Demonstrated ability to create and analyze computer code in applicable programs.
- Demonstrated expertise with the latest statistical programming stack. Experience with programming languages such as Python, R, SAS, Matlab, SQL, Pig, Hive, and Scala strongly preferred.
- Proven experience developing creative solutions to challenging analytical problems.
If you match the requirements for this opportunity and believe you have the experience and talent to succeed in the role, we need to hear from you!
Established in 2010, @Orchard LLC, also known as, Talent Orchard has an exceptional reputation, providing staffing solutions to time-sensitive, talent scarcity issues to deliver better talent management ROI. Our specialty lies in the critical area of program talent acquisition and resource management, not in one narrow skillset, but across many areas of technical and functional delivery. To learn more about our other exciting opportunities, visit our Jobs Page at www.atOrchard.com.