Application Support Engineer III
- Job Title
- Application Support Engineer III
- Job Order ID
- Begin Date
- Direct Hire
- Jacksonville, FL 32204
- Other Location
Under the direction of the Applications Manager, the Applications Support Engineer III (ASE3) will be responsible for production support of all JTA Websites, Mobile Applications, business line server platforms, Scheduling & Dispatch software applications, assorted Bus Operation supporting software, and other software applications as assigned. Responsible for planning, deployment and implementation of the enterprise wide software systems and will act as a mentor to team members. This person will also analyze requirements specified by the end user community and business partners, and translate them into high-level designs and project activity. This person will be involved with managing and meeting SLAs and various metrics.
Essential Job Functions
- Manages application software licensing counts and renewals
- Manages application software upgrades
- Oversees new application implementations
- Oversees completion of tickets and/or project tasks with team as assigned by manager
- Works with management to identify and specify complex business requirements and processes for diverse infrastructure platforms, computing environments, software, hardware, technologies and tools.
- Participates in the development of custom software applications (typically thru 3rd party vendors)
- Collaborates with IT managers to ensure appropriate HW & OS prerequisites are in place to ensure proper operation of Application Software
- Collaborates with IT managers on matters of system and application architecture
- Recommends and implements cloud solutions as alternatives to on-premise solutions to realize cost-savings and improve organizational efficiency
- Collaborates with IT managers to ensure that the organizational goals are met
- Assists in defining departmental roadmap initiatives
- Creates project architectures in alignment with JTA established IT infrastructure.
- Supports the team during the development, testing and deployment phases.
- Mentors and supports other IT staff in implementation of applications as needed.
- Ensures all solutions are designed to perform efficiently, are scalable and re-usable. Designs and oversees application monitoring via key metrics.
- Interacts with the customer for deployment of software version updates and, where appropriate, code promotion and production support.
- Maintain and support application and interface software components to current version and patch levels.
- Consults with customers regarding their process for scheduled maintenance windows for these updates and minimizes risk to system operations.
- Analyzes and corrects code errors that generate faults as reported through monitoring tools.
- Oversees clear documentation of all aspects of the environment.
- Participates in the preparation and execution of corporate business continuity requirements.
- Works with team on application systems issue resolution.
- Performs mandatory storm/disaster job related functions that are essential to the Continuity of Operations Plan (COOP) and/or the EOC.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
- Possess JTA’s 12 Leadership Characteristics: Good Communicator, Change Agent, Critical Thinker, High Energy, Accountable, Engaged, Team Player, Inspirational, Customer Focused, Courageous, Innovative and Strategic Thinker.
- Working user knowledge of Remote Desktop Solutions (Citrix Xenapp 6, Terminal Services).
- Working knowledge of Windows Operating System (Server 2012, Server 2008, Windows 10, Windows 7, and Windows XP). Knowledge of Linux Operting System recommended.
- Working knowledge of the software installation, physical design, and backup requirements regarding one or more DBMS.
- Proven ability to design performant SQL queries.
- Familiarity with end-user PC issues and diagnosis of system problems.
- Ability to work well independently as well as part of a team with a minimum of technical supervision and supplemental engineering support while responding efficiently to multiple project priorities and deadlines.
- Ability to effectively communicate, in writing and verbally, with team members, as well as management and employees at all levels within the organization.
- Ability to maintain a high level of confidentiality,
- Strong research, creative solution making and problem solving ability.
- Ability to work evenings, weekends, and on-call as needed.
- Ability to work collaboratively to enhance JTA’s reputation for excellence through best practices, reviews, accountability for performance and continuous improvement.
- Organizational, analytic and strategic-thinking skills with demonstrated ability to create, implement and monitor complex design and implementation plans and translate those plans into goals and concrete methods and strategies.
- Must possess good time-management skills and be able to multi-task.
- A career track record that shows stability with an organization and the capacity to develop and nurture relationships that culminates into overall success.
- Ability to train, supervise and evaluate the performance of staff.
- Proficient in Microsoft Office Suite.
- Excellent customer service skills.
- Ability to work independently as well as part of a management team.
- Ability to deal effectively with employees at all levels within the organization
- Required Skills
Minimum Education & Experience
• Associates degree is minimum required education for this role
o Preference given to Information Technology, Computer Science, Management Information Systems degrees or other related field.
o Preference given to advanced degrees beyond an Associates
o Preference will be given to industry certifications (eg MCSA, MCSE, AWS Solutions Architect, etc)
• Minimum of 5 years working in a Application Support Engineer, DevOps or equivalent role
• 5 years Software Production Support experience
• 3 years Software Application Design and Development experience
• 5 years SQL & multiple DBMS experience (SQL Server, PostgreSQL, Oracle, etc.)
• Microsoft Certified Expert in DevOps, Solutions or Data Engineer paths (or older MCSA or equivalent)
• AWS Certified Solutions Architect - Associate
• ITIL Certification
• MySQL or PostgreSQL Database Administration Certifications
• Oracle Certified Professional Java Programmer, Spring Professional, OpenJS Developer certification (or any other similar language certifications)
• Professional Scrum Master Certification
• Project Management Professional Certification
• Cloud Application Design and Development experience
• IT Work Management software (e.g. Jira) experience
• Web Application Design and Development experience
• Experience as a Production Support Lead or Manager
• Experience as a Software Application Design and Development Lead or Manager
- Pay Range
- $85,000.00 Annually to $132,000.00 Annually