IP Paralegal Team Lead (Hybrid/Germany).334
- Job Title
- IP Paralegal Team Lead (Hybrid/Germany).334
A progressive, cutting-edge biotechnology company seeks an IP Paralegal Team Lead to join its growing team in Mainz, Germany. The base salary is $130,000 euros with a comprehensive and innovative benefits package.
The successful IP Paralegal will report to the Vice President, Head of Intellectual Property, with primary responsibility for monitoring and supporting all prosecution related to the company's worldwide IP portfolios. The IP Paralegal will be accountable for providing leadership of the patent and trademark global paralegal team supporting the training and development of a high performing cohesive team while delivering high-quality patent paralegal support to patent and trademark attorneys.
- Accountable for ensuring the quality of the support to attorneys throughout the process of IP prosecution, including management of deadlines, accuracy of formal documents/forms and timely maintenance of information in the database used to manage IP rights.
- Manage and develop the administration/paralegal staff at various locations (e.g., Cambridge (US), Mainz (Germany) and UK).
- Serve as point of escalation for paralegal team to IP Leads
- Identify issues and help develop internal processes including quality control procedures and checklists.
- Work closely with the attorneys and paralegals to implement new or updated policies, ensure decisions are appropriately disseminated and followed through to implementation while monitoring and maintaining adherence and compliance thereafter.
- Regularly seek feedback from stakeholders on the level of support provided by the team, acting on any opportunities and gaps identified.
- Work closely with IP leads and develop relationships with key stakeholders, particularly the patent and trademark attorneys.
- Identify and address opportunities to enhance/increase the support provided by the IP paralegals enabling the attorneys to focus on substantive legal work.
- Support IP Attorneys with their daily IP prosecution to ensure timely filing via network of trusted law firms.
- Docket internal and statutory deadlines related to prosecution, maintenance, and conflicts/litigation of the company's worldwide IP portfolio.
- Monitor group mailboxes for reporting emails and instructions.
- Coordination of portfolio activity filing recommendations, collation of instructions and creation of new inventions and patent records.
- Correspond with outside counsel to ensure that all formalities are timely addressed and identify improved ways of working.
- Prepare all formalities including collection of signatures for assignments, declarations, powers of attorney with additional notarization and legalization.
- Coordinate signatures with internal and external inventors and collaborators.
- Responsible for the oversight of annuity payments process including responding to data queries, confirming patent expiration dates, and reviewing annuities for accuracy.
- Prepare patent status reports upon request.
- Support diligence and transactional efforts including integrating portfolios from acquisitions.
- A minimum of 15 years plus experience in worldwide patent and trademark prosecution and at least 5 years prior experience as a team lead with demonstrated ability.
- Working knowledge of an IP Management docketing system, preferably Anaqua IP Management
- Experience working within a IP prosecution support function (paralegal or formalities) as a IP prosecution paralegal, IP administrator, patent and trademark formalities or comparable position with experience working in a law firm or in-house legal environment.
- Proactive and intuitive candidate, employee focused and a thoughtful people leader.
- Exceptionally strong communicator (written and verbal) with employees of all levels, supportive interpersonal team player and ability to contribute positively to the company's culture.
- Demonstrates experience in the implementation and enforcement of key processes and procedures.
- Able to demonstrate a strategic and collaborative approach to drive team growth
- Exceptional organizational skills.
- Maintains and shares current knowledge and understanding of patent and trademark prosecution terminology and filing procedures.
- Utilizes innovative thinking and sound decision-making.
- Brilliant mind for spotting weaknesses in processes/procedures and designing optimal solutions to improve and accelerate.
- Demonstrates agility, flexibility and a collaborative approach to resolving issues.
- Able to manage multiple priorities under deadline driven pressures and prioritize team responsibilities.
- Demonstrated capacity to work and deliver on tight timelines whilst maintaining a focus on quality.
- Demonstrated attention to detail, with strong capability for problem solving, analysis, judgement, and reasoning.
- Demonstrated ability to learn new IP management software, technology, processes, and procedures.
- Proficiency with Microsoft Office and Adobe Acrobat essential.
- A successful candidate will be highly motivated, dynamic, actively foster cooperation and support within the paralegal and the broader team, demonstrate a positive attitude, be a strong team player, and a collaborative leader.
Frink-Hamlett Legal Solutions is an equal employment opportunity employer and all applicants will receive considerations for employment without discrimination based on race, color, creed, national origin, sex, age, disability, marital status, sexual orientation or citizenship status.