Senior Electrical Engineer - High Voltage Systems
- Job Title
- Senior Electrical Engineer - High Voltage Systems
- Job ID
- Livermore, CA
- Other Location
Senior Electrical Engineer – High Voltage Systems
@Orchard has an opportunity for an experienced Sustaining Electrical Engineer with a client located in Livermore, CA. Our client is the largest and most dependable manufacturer of Heavy-Duty Transit Buses in North America. Their customers are in all 50 states and include cities, counties, transit districts, universities, and major private fleet operators.
As the Electrical Engineer, you will be responsible for engineering design, problem resolution, and other engineering duties in support of the design and manufacturing of parts and sub-systems. You will have direct influence at the part level to optimize the piece parts and sub-systems. This position reports to the Engineering Supervisor but may also get direction/guidance from senior engineers.
As the Senior Engineer in the New Product Engineering team, you will be responsible for the design, development, and integration of the High Voltage systems for all new vehicles. You will be the owner of the High Voltage systems specifications and drive them back to the suppliers to meet and exceed every aspect of requirements. You will have a direct influence on vehicle electrical systems from concept through to manufacturing launch to field support. You will be part of the team that develops the industry’s best-in-class zero-emission bus. This role will focus on High Voltage (HV) design requirements and component evaluation and selection for the application, including HV cable assemblies, HV connectors, and HV circuit protection devices. Assignments are broad in scope and highly complex that require outstanding creativity, superior initiative, good judgment, and leadership skills combined with the willingness to do hands-on engineering. You will report directly to the Electrical Engineering Manager in New Product Engineering.
- Develop and maintain the requirements and standards for the High Voltage designs. This includes staying up to date with the latest SAE charging standards as it pertains to heavy-duty electric vehicles
- Be the HV subject matter expert with cross-functional teams and suppliers
- Evaluate and select HV components for new vehicles that meet design specifications and work with cross-functional teams to drive new high-voltage designs through the design phase into production
- Perform design analysis on electrical loads, power distribution, & circuit protection
- Review, analyze, and approve EMC test results
- Lead DFMEA discussions in order to identify potential risks and implement design changes to mitigate potential failure modes based on results
- Lead design reviews with cross-functional teams to ensure they meet project requirements as well as regulatory & industry standards
- Support production launch activities and continuous products & process improvements
- Help support both on-site & off-site troubleshooting activities with our Production Support &/or the Customer Care teams when necessary
- Lead Root Cause Analysis (RCA) efforts and advise stakeholders on technical issues that could affect product design and delay deliverables
- Perform other duties, as required
- Bachelor’s Degree in Engineering
- Minimum 5 years of progressive engineering experience.
- Designing High Voltage (HV) systems which include appropriate cable sizing, connector selection, circuit protection, cable routing & retention, meeting creepage & clearance tolerances, as well as EMC shielding.
- Electrified vehicles and related HV componentry such as DC/DC converters, electric traction motors, Li-ion batteries, high-power DC chargers, etc.
- DC fast charging (DCFC), overhead (pantograph) charging, &/or inductive (wireless) charging.
- EMC emission and immunity test methods such as CISPR 25, ISO-11452-2, ISO 7637-4, & ISO 10605.
- Diagnosing and troubleshooting electrical systems using basic tools such as a function generator, multimeter, oscilloscope, hi-pot tester, megger ohm meter, etc.
- Manufacturing environment & processes
- Heavy-duty vehicles
- ECAD software such as Zuken E3, Mentor Graphics, &/or AutoCAD Electrical
- Standard methodologies such as 8D, five whys, & fishbone diagrams to help root-cause complex issues
- SAE electric vehicle charging standards such as J19772, J3105, J2954, etc.
- Industry standards such as FMVSSS, NHTSA, DOT, MFPA, SAE, NEC, etc.
Established in 2010, @Orchard LLC, also known as, Talent Orchard has an exceptional reputation, providing staffing solutions to time-sensitive, talent scarcity issues to deliver better talent management ROI. Our specialty lies in the critical area of program talent acquisition and resource management, not in one narrow skillset, but across many areas of technical and functional delivery. To learn more about our other exciting opportunities, visit our Jobs Page at www.atOrchard.com.