Electrical Engineer - High Voltage Systems
- Job Title
- Electrical Engineer - High Voltage Systems
- Job ID
- Livermore, CA
- Other Location
Electrical Engineer – High Voltage Systems
@Orchard has an opportunity for an experienced Sustaining Electrical Engineer with a client located in Livermore, CA. Our client is the largest and most dependable manufacturer of Heavy-Duty Transit Buses in North America. Their customers are in all 50 states and include cities, counties, transit districts, universities, and major private fleet operators.
As the Electrical Engineer, you will be responsible for engineering design, problem resolution, and other engineering duties in support of the design and manufacturing of parts and sub-systems. You will have direct influence at the part level to optimize the piece parts and sub-systems. This position reports to the Engineering Supervisor but may also get direction/guidance from senior engineers.
- The mission of the Sustaining Engineering team is to develop new option content, cost & performance improvements to the current product, and drive resolution of technical Supply Chain, Production, and Field issues
- The emphasis is on providing robust, service-friendly, and cost-conscious electrical designs for vehicle low-voltage (12/24VDC) and high-voltage (600VDC, 240/480VAC) systems
- The team is tasked with efficiently rectifying the root causes of technical engineering problems and identifying & implementing permanent corrective actions
- Familiarity with vehicle and/or industrial control systems is required
- Evaluate customer product requirements and develop product designs to meet customer needs
- Interpret customer requirements, map requirements onto existing designs when possible, and/or develop new designs when needed
- Optimize design via analytical, numerical, and/or empirical assessments
- Ensure thermal and electrical model analyses are accurate as well as product requirements are met
- Produce and/or evaluate possible design solutions to improve cost, quality, delivery, and performance on specialized knowledge of engineering applications together with possible involvement of other functional engineers and/or customer/supplier personnel
- Direct CAD Designers to complete 3D models and drawings as necessary
- Release drawings accordingly to support production cost estimation and prototype quotes
- Use CAD modeling software to create components, assemblies, and engineering drawings for manufacturing
- Create and maintain Bill of Materials (BOM along with all project documentation
- Detailed electrical design including design for manufacture and assembly
- Analyze assignments and determine engineering specifications that must be fulfilled for problems as well as projects
- Support production ramp & ongoing/continuous product/process improvement
- Work with the test engineer(s) to create DVP&R, execute the defined test plan, and review the test results/reports
- Conduct field testing and provide preliminary evaluations
- Develop and maintain the technical specification for desired performance at the component level
- Support purchasing, fields service, and other internal customers as required
- Lead or support prototype order and procurement
- Apply industry practices and standards (NFPA, NEC, APTA, etc.) at the direction of the senior engineers
- Exhibit insight on electrical design sense to develop and meet design requirements with product designs that are manufacturable, serviceable, meet all performance objectives, and meet customer requirements
- Hands-on troubleshooting of vehicle systems
- Bachelor’s Degree in Engineering or equivalent discipline required
- Minimum 4 years of engineering experience
- Familiarity with manufacturing processes and environment
- Application of sound electrical design fundamentals
- Working knowledge in electrical power distribution including AC and DC systems
- In-depth knowledge of electrical load calculation and circuit protection
- Experienced with high voltage system design and necessary safety guidelines
- Experienced with low-voltage harness design
- Experienced in generating harnesses and electrical schematics using CAD software
- Familiarity with automotive components such as circuit breakers, relays, and wiring, etc.
- Familiarity with automotive industry standards such as SAE, NFPA, FMVSS, etc.
- Ability to diagnose and troubleshoot automotive electrical systems
If you match the requirements for this opportunity and believe you have the experience and talent to succeed in the role, we need to hear from you!
Established in 2010, @Orchard LLC, also known as, Talent Orchard has an exceptional reputation, providing staffing solutions to time-sensitive, talent scarcity issues to deliver better talent management ROI. Our specialty lies in the critical area of program talent acquisition and resource management, not in one narrow skillset, but across many areas of technical and functional delivery. To learn more about our other exciting opportunities, visit our Jobs Page at www.atOrchard.com.