- Job Title
- FPGA Engineer
- Job ID
- Linthicum Heights, MD 21090
- Other Location
Linthicum Heights, Maryland@Orchard is supporting a fascinating information security company with patented and truly ground-breaking technology located in Linthicum, MD Inc. Their mission is to make the connected world more safe and more secure for individuals, businesses, and governments. Our client has advanced the bounds of information theory, secured independent validation and patents, and built systems and networks that are revolutionizing secure communications. Our client values unrelenting curiosity and pushing the bounds of human knowledge through science. We thrive on solving complex problems by finding creative solutions. The team is set to triple in size in 2023 while remaining a close-knit group of technology innovators and scientists, to preserve that culture of innovation, this is a role that requires team members to work onsite with colleagues at least 4 days a week.
US Citizenship Required
As an FPGA Engineer, you will
- Participate in all phases of the FPGA design flow - from concept to IP core production.
- Develop high-level design requirements and block-level micro-architectures, partition design within FPGA constraints, and create specification documents.
- Develop RTL designs using HDL, with emphasis on DSP and digital communication system blocks (physical layer, link layer, error correction, etc.).
- Optimize designs for area, speed, and power to meet system requirements and analyze architectural trade-offs.
- Develop test benches and test cases for block and system-level functional verification using MATLAB HDL Verifier, emphasizing bit-matching and self-checking.
- Work in collaboration with systems and DSP engineers to verify HDL DSP blocks/systems against fixed-point MATLAB models.
- Collaborate with software engineers in developing production software that interacts with your HDL designs.
- Participate in and contribute to code reviews.
- Debug high-speed designs in both simulation and hardware.
- Support external clients on integration efforts for in-house developed IP.
- Provide support to business development activities as an FPGA technical resource.
- Assist in the development of more robust testing and validation frameworks to increase code/design quality.
- Assist in mentoring associate FPGA engineers.
Your background will likely include
- U.S. Citizenship required
- 8+ years of professional FPGA development experience.
- The ability to read and write MATLAB scripts (Simulink experience is a plus).
- Demonstrated expertise in the development of HDL modules using Verilog/SystemVerilog or VHDL (SystemVerilog preferred).
- Expert knowledge of either Vivado or Quartus (Vivado preferred).
- Advanced knowledge and ability in third-party EDA tools such as Questa and Xcelium (Xcelium preferred).
- The ability to work in a Linux development environment.
- Skilled in timing closure and hardware debugging techniques. Experience developing HDL modules and systems of modules from initial specification through simulation, bitfile creation, and hardware testing.
- Proficiency in at least one of the following: Python, TCL, C, and C++.
- Able to at least read and write both VHDL and Verilog/SystemVerilog at a basic level.
- Proven ability to implement complex algorithms in hardware (RF, video, audio, cryptologic, etc.).
- Experience writing module and system-level self-checking test benches in HDL.
- Experience creating Linux shell scripts for task automation.
Other skills and experience you may have
- Experience creating Makefile-based build systems.
- Working knowledge of digital communications systems such as WiFi, Bluetooth, LTE, and 5G.
- Experience using MATLAB HDL Verifier and/or HDL Coder.
- Experience using Git for version control.
- Experience doing board bring-up and hardware validation.
- Experience developing firmware for the embedded processing side of SoC-based. FPGAs (Xilinx Zynq, Intel Agilex, etc.)
- Experience with ASIC design and/or validation.
- Experience using industry-standard verification tools (UVM, OVM, UVVM, OSVVM, etc.)
- Experience writing advanced TCL scripts. Experience with VPI/DPI for connecting Verilog/SystemVerilog test benches to golden models.
Established in 2010, @Orchard has an exceptional reputation, providing staffing solutions to time-sensitive, talent scarcity issues to deliver better talent management ROI. Our specialty lies in the critical area of program talent acquisition and resource management, not in one narrow skillset, but across many areas of technical and functional delivery. To learn more about our other exciting opportunities, visit our Jobs Page at www.atorchard.com.