Optical Network Engineer
- Job Title
- Optical Network Engineer
- Job ID
- Work Hybrid
- Hanover, MD 21076
- Other Location
Optical Network Engineer
Active Top Secret Clearance (Active TS/SCI Preferred)
Hanover, MD (Hybrid)@Orchard LLC has been retained by the Public Sector group of one of the most important technology companies you’ve never heard of. They are responsible for the underlying networks supporting many of the innovations that wow us (driverless cars), and those we now take for granted (the ability to mobile-stream your favorite show), as well as critical infrastructure that keeps us safe and serves critical missions. For more than 25 years, our client has been the global leader in networking strategy, and their technology has been part of the critical infrastructure running within the most advanced companies and government institutions in the world.
Our client is looking for an Optical Network Engineer to join an extremely talented team of engineers. You will be responsible for the generation, co-ordination, and execution of internal and carrier test plans with the objective of, ensuring interoperability and implementation of the firm’s product line and incorporation into the customer’s legacy network. You will also be responsible for becoming the local subject matter expert and related standards development and interpretation of customer requirements specifications in order to provide guidelines on customer’s modernization effort
As the Optical Network Engineer, you will
- Work closely with customers and other stakeholders; understand customers’ needs and how we can best support their network architecture.
- Strong understanding of SONET, DWDM, ROADM (and other (n)OADM configurations) architecture, and provisioning and implementation
- Understanding of Carrier Ethernet architecture and provisioning and implementation
- Develop test plans for customer network architecture, and interoperability, ensure the functionality and security of equipment and determine optimal equipment configurations suitable for customers’ and stakeholders’ requirements.
- Prepare implementation plans based on the results of testing and provide expert engineering support in the deployment of the proposed enhancements and modifications to include Layer-0, Layer-1, and Layer-2 processes and configurations.
- Ability to work in a lab environment. Read/follow network diagrams, cabling guides, and signal flow diagrams. To Include, manual manipulation and installation of varying Ciena products from SFP/XFPs (Pluggable) and occasionally to shelves (Up to 75lbs).
- Manipulate fiber optic patches (Clean, Run, Replace patches)
- Ability to prepare technical documentation, and present and coherently relay to customers the information within. To include network diagrams, Signal flow diagrams, detailed equipment specifications
- Ability to remotely assist customer troubleshooting, installation, and implementation with field deployment efforts as Tier III/Tier IV
- Provide weekly updates to varying internal and external contract stakeholders. To include PM’s/Engineers.
- Ability to learn new technology, and apply and share applicable knowledge with customers, stakeholders, and peers.
Your background will likely include:
- Knowledge and experience with Layer-0, Layer-1, Layer-2
- Familiarization with fiber optics to include ISP (patches and connectors) and OSP (fiber characterization and OTDR familiarity)
- BS degree in Telecommunications, Networking, or similar technical field of study (Experience in related field in lieu of Degree)
- Security+ or any equivalent DoD 8570 (IAT Level II or higher)
- The candidate will have a diverse Telecommunications background, hands-on solid technical experience, and organizational and interpersonal skills.
- Excellent communication and presentation skills.
- Team orientation, organized, and capable of independent work.
- Willingness to assist team members with other projects as required.
- Join customer pre-sales calls and share knowledge/expertise.
- Top Secret Clearance is required (TS/SCI Preferred)
- Possible travel time of up to 25%
If your experiences and interest align with this exciting opportunity, we need to hear from you. Apply today!
- Current or Prior experience knowledge with Ciena Product Family
- Project+ or Scrum Master Certification
Established in 2010, @Orchard LLC, also known as, Talent Orchard has an exceptional reputation, providing staffing solutions to time-sensitive, talent scarcity issues to deliver better talent management ROI. Our specialty lies in the critical area of program talent acquisition and resource management, not in one narrow skillset, but across many areas of technical and functional delivery. To learn more about our other exciting opportunities, visit our Jobs Page at www.atOrchard.com.