- Job Title
- Environmental Scientist
- Job ID
- Chicago, IL 60606
- Other Location
Remote with fieldwork in Chicago, IL, and North West Indiana
@Orchard LLC has been retained by a well-established solutions provider within the defense, intelligence, and critical infrastructure sector to identify & recruit a skilled Environmental Scientist/Geologist to support urban environmental projects in Chicago, IL & North West Indiana. This will be a 6-months project to support field activities with an opportunity for full-time employment after the period of performance for the right fit.
In this role, under minimal supervision, you will perform a variety of routine and nonroutine tasks in support of the professional staff within the assigned unit. Work assignments may be in the office and/or at field sites. A willingness to travel is expected. Our client's extensive experience in this field, combined with your experience will propel your career and leadership opportunities forward. We need our Geologist/Scientist to be versatile, enthusiastic to work in highly flexible, team-oriented environments that have exceptional communication, analytical and organizational skill.
- Conduct field investigations activities and maintain documentation in record logs.
- Independently performs environmental media sampling including but not limited to soil, surface water, groundwater, sediment; soil boring and monitoring well installation; monitoring well development; low-flow groundwater sampling; soil gas sampling; monitoring well slug testing; soil and rock borehole logging; excavation oversight; support operations, maintenance and monitoring of remediation systems (e.g., fluid monitoring and sampling, oil mobility and recoverability evaluation), contractor oversight at retail and commercial bulk petroleum facilities.
- Assist in data compilation and interpretation pertinent to remediation system operations and performance.
- Must be able to use environmental sampling equipment and monitoring devices.
- Schedule and coordinate subcontractor activities (as needed)
- Responsible for the application of and conformance with company and client health and safety programs while performing or overseeing tasks
- Assist in the preparation of project planning and task documentation including safety assessments, the scope of work document, field task summary documents, file management
- Develops materials and assists in completing reports on finished fieldwork and other environmental reports (Phase I, Phase II, Site Investigations, Corrective Action Plans, Completion/Closure Reports). Ideal knowledge of States regulations: Michigan, Illinois, Indiana (or combination of any).
- Perform operation and maintenance of various types of remediation systems (pump and treat/air sparge/recovery/etc).
Operates trucks, pumps, vacuum equipment, oil booms, generators, and other machinery/equipment.
Assignments are undertaken independently on a regular basis.
- Capable of working independently at project sites to complete a scope of work and communicating status back to project personnel
- Take direction from senior managers on different projects.
- 4-year degree in Geology or related field (Environmental Science) and 4-5 years of experience performing the tasks outlined in Specific Responsibilities.
- Other project duties as assigned by senior staff.
- Completion of a 40-hour OSHA training course (with an annual 8-hour update) is required for industrial or hazardous wastewater operations.
- Valid Class 5 driver’s license.
- Ability to work at high elevations; lift and carry 30+ pounds; pull, stand, and work in confined spaces; crouch for long periods of time, and work under inclement cold weather conditions.
- Knowledge of methods and precautions in storing and handling chemicals.
- Ability to work with others in a professional team environment, as well as independently when required.
If you are excited by this opportunity and believe you have the experience and talent to be a success in the role, we need to hear from you!
Established in 2010, @Orchard LLC, also known as, Talent Orchard has an exceptional reputation, providing staffing solutions to time-sensitive, talent scarcity issues to deliver better talent management ROI. Our specialty lies in the critical area of program talent acquisition and resource management, not in one narrow skillset, but across many areas of technical and functional delivery. To learn more about our other exciting opportunities, visit our Jobs Page at www.atOrchard.com.