- Job Title
- Transportation Superintendent
- Job Order ID
- Begin Date
- Direct Hire
- Jacksonville, FL 32204
- Other Location
Idea Recruitment has partnered with a public transit service provider in Jacksonville, FL in their search for a Transportation Superintendents.
This is highly responsible management and leadership work related to the execution of a fixed route service delivery plan with a large number of union employees. Under the general direction of one of two General Superintendents, Fixed Route Transportation, the Transportation Superintendent is directly responsible for the day-to-day management of service delivery for fixed route operations, to include revenue service management, dispatch management and station management. This work includes supervision of operations supervisors, dispatchers, and bus operators as assigned. Work is rotational and will include shift and weekend work. Four superintendents cover the direct management work for service delivery, station management and dispatch and provide significant coverage through most hours of revenue service to include weekends. The work is rotational with regard to position – whether service delivery, dispatch or station management and will change on a periodic and planned basis. Transportation superintendents are very proficient in all of the rotational areas and must collaborate very effectively with their transportation superintendent colleagues and the general superintendents. Each transportation superintendent is responsible for and participates in the development of effective processes and procedures that allow for the seamless transition between roles during rotation and the seamless presentation of management approaches and attitudes to the subordinate staff under their purview. High energy, motivation, leadership and ability to form trusting, collaborative and professional relationships with colleagues and teammates is critical for the role. Each of the transportation superintendents will be held accountable for the production and delivery of efficient, safe and excellent service to customers.
- Responsible for collectively, in concert with other transportation superintendents, developing and administering a highly effective, repeatable, documented, service delivery program with detailed policies and procedures for all transportation positions and roles to include the transportation superintendent roles related to dispatch, station management and revenue service delivery.
- Responsible for the successful execution of the service delivery program and for delivering excellent service to the JTA fixed route customers by way of performance in areas, including but not limited to, excellence in on-time performance, safety, customer service, courteousness, professionalism, uniform standard compliance and attendance.
- Responsible for leading with integrity and by example and for acting as a change agent within Operations to create a culture of service excellence, respect and professionalism.
- Responsible for fully participating in and contributing to the team of interlinked and interdependent transportation superintendents responsible for service delivery on a daily basis.
- Responsible for the successful pullout and daily operations of bus routes, while providing leadership and guidance to operations supervisors, dispatchers and bus operators to ensure a uniform and professional approach in the delivery of JTA transit services and in the efficient dispatch of revenue vehicles and operators, as well as effective station management.
- Works collaboratively and respectfully with colleagues, teammates, union leadership and employees to create an atmosphere of professionalism and mutual respect where all are valued.
- Manages and leads employees and holds all accountable with an approach that is fair, honest and developmental when appropriate.
- Works with the General Superintendent to set goals and outlines specific objectives.
- Communicates and works with Service Planning staff to ensure that all identified service scheduling and route problems and recommendations are communicated and followed up on in a timely manner.
- Communicates and works with Maintenance staff to ensure that all identified equipment issues and trends are communicated and followed up on in a timely manner.
- Motivates and develops transportation employees in leadership roles; e.g., dispatchers, supervisors. Sets high standards for performance and holds leaders accountable.
- Responds to accidents, passenger disturbances and other events and resolves passenger and bus operator problems as appropriate.
- Processes passenger complaints and takes corrective action as appropriate. Maintains communication with General Superintendent regarding all operational issues.
- Takes ownerships of assignments for areas of responsibility assigned. Raises issues, acts as an ambassador for compliance with and continuous improvement of the service delivery program and its policies and procedures.
- Identifies and reports bus operator rule violations and provides corrective coaching, counseling and disciplinary actions as appropriate in a respectful, transparent and honest manner.
- Coordinates with Control Center personnel and operations supervisors to resolve questions about service delays or route detours and changes.
- Maintains knowledge of all routes, detours and adjusts schedules as needed.
- Acts as a community liaison and ambassador throughout the service area.
- Addresses all bus stop and shelter issues and refers to appropriate staff for resolution. Follows through and verifies that work has been completed – owns it until it is completed.
- Assists with special event organization and execution (e.g., stadium shuttles, special service requests, promotional outreach, new service adjustments, public hearings etc.).
- Coordinates required special projects within the department, assigning tasks and overseeing transit supervisors as needed.
- Acts as the liaison between operations supervisors and other team members.
- Conducts regular team meetings and provides feedback regarding performance.
- Maintains performance and attendance information for each team member and ensures excellent record keeping for all pertinent records.
- Performs related work as assigned.
- Performs mandatory storm/disaster job related functions that are essential to the Continuity of Operations Plan (COOP) and/or the EOC.
- Understands the importance of order in the day-to-day service delivery work and looks for opportunities to systemize for repeatability and excellence in work practices.
- Communicates in an appropriate manner in business dealings to include detailed report writing and holds others under their purview responsible for thorough and accurate reporting and excellent work products.
- Demonstrates a positive and professional attitude especially in the conduct of business with passengers, community stakeholders and subordinate staff.
- Required Skills
Bachelor’s Degree in Management, Business Administration, Transportation, or closely related field and three years of management experience in a customer service operations environment.
Degree requirements can be met through any combination of related college level coursework and additional years of appropriate professional experience.
Prior transit related experience is preferred.
- Optional Skills
• Responsible for completing all mandatory training classes.
• Responsible for ensuring all direct reports have taken all mandatory training.
• Responsible for reviewing and complying with all JTA policies, procedures and directives.
• Conforms with all safety rules and wearing/using all appropriate safety equipment.
• Strong working knowledge of Federal Transit Administration drug regulations in both substance abuse and alcohol recognition for reasonable suspicion.
- Pay Range
- $40,000.00 Annually to $62,500.00 Annually