Director, Legal Affairs - Emerging Markets (Germany)
- Job Title
- Director, Legal Affairs - Emerging Markets (Germany)
Director, Legal Affairs - Emerging Markets
Entrepreneurial pharmaceutical company near Frankfurt,Germany seeks a Director, Legal Affairs - Emerging Markets to join its Corporate Legal Department. Compensation is 130,000 - 140,000 euro plus bonus.
The Director, Legal Affairs - Emerging Markets reports to the Executive Vice President of Legal (General Counsel) and will cover the legal aspects of the value chain of a pharmaceutical company from development through manufacturing to marketing of products. Projects include M&A transactions and integration predominantly in the emerging markets, in particular, in the Middle East and North Africa (MENA), Asia and other countries outside Europe and the Commonwealth of Independent States (CIS), Northern America and Japan (“Regional Scope”). Emphasis is made not only on in-depth knowledge of legal issues of pharmaceutical companies but also on the capability of being an effective member of the Emerging Markets Executive Committee.
Key Roles and Responsibilities
- Development of the respective short-, medium- and long-term legal strategies of the business operations in the Regional Scope
- Coordination of the cooperation between the lawyers and legal departments of the affiliates within the Regional Scope such as the Serbian legal department
- Providing pragmatic and timely legal advice to pharmaceutical companies in all legal issues of the operative business with special focus on agreements covering the value chain. This includes agreements on development, cooperation, licensing, supply chain (manufacturing, supply and distribution), clinical trials, IP, regulatory matters, pharmaceutical law and general commercial law.
- Drafting, reviewing and negotiating a wide variety of English language commercial contracts, including Development Agreements, Licensing-out Agreements, In-License Agreements, Cooperation Agreements, R&D Collaboration Agreements, Distribution Agreements, Supply Agreements, Toll Manufacturing Agreements, Confidentiality, Consultancy Agreements, Agreement for Services, Clinical Trial Agreements and Heads of Terms/Letters of Intent
- Review of promotional material and handling parallel import issues
- Engaging in international M&A projects (share and asset acquisitions), including drafting all sale and purchase documentation, participating in legal due diligence investigations, dealing with antitrust clearance and other necessary approvals as well as post-closing integration activities (together with the respective global legal function)
- Monitoring, evaluation and implementation of important court rulings or legislation for pharmaceuticals in the Regional Scope
- Addressing questions of competition law and public procurement law
- Antitrust (competition) law assessments
- Handling legal disputes, audits and investigations of authorities and settlements and managing external counsel
- Contract management and controlling; archiving and securing proper retention periods of documents
- Developing pharmaceuticals precedent (template) agreements and policies
- Conducting internal know-how presentations relating to legal topics
- After internal agreement lobby work in associations
- Member of, and participation in, the Emerging Markets pharmaceutical Executive Committee with input beyond legal topics which includes the contribution to the evaluation of strategic plans, business operations and decisions, governance concerns, approving audit reports, understanding the organizations’ financial affairs and assuming the development of policies.
- University degree in law (either German or foreign qualified lawyer) with above-average grades, (and for German lawyers completed second German Bar Exam with above-average grades)
- At least seven years of PQE in the pharmaceutical or life sciences industry
- Experience drafting and negotiating commercial contracts within the life sciences industry
- Experience in M&A projects (asset deals and share deals) and licensing
- Fluent command of English and preferably one or two other languages in the Regional Scope
- Entrepreneurial thinking and action
- Hands-on approach and agility, with personality driving result oriented actions
- Ability to work effectively with minimal supervision
- Commitment, communication skills and ability to work in a cross-cultural team
- Ability to optimize organizations and lead a team
- Knowledgeable in working with PC