Research, Innovation, and Development (RID) Manager
- Job Title
- Research, Innovation, and Development (RID) Manager
- Job ID
- CARROLLTON, TX 75006
- Other Location
Swiss American CDMO LLC is a topical drug, skincare, wound care, and medical device developing and manufacturing company founded to provide cutting-edge topical skincare technologies to selected markets. Our business strategy consists of development, manufacturing, and superior customer service to contract manufacturing customers worldwide. A strong team approach to serve our customers is the basis of our mantra – “Partnering to deliver service through quality, integrity, and commitment.” Are you passionate about Service Excellence, Results, Integrity, and Leadership? These are the core attributes we are looking for at Swiss-American CDMO, LLC.
Research, Innovation, and Development (RID) Manager
The RID Manager will be a key strategic role to bringing new products (personal care, OTC drug, medical devices, and drug/device combination products) to the marketplace. This position will be a major contributor to the Contract Development and Manufacturing Organization (CDMO) business and the key person to direct new technologies, innovation, and formulation development of all products through the development cycle systems for various markets.
The position includes: [a] managing the laboratory and its staff of scientists and corresponding projects; [b] maintaining an advanced knowledge of product/technology formulation in the field of skincare and the medical device category and its accompanying markets; [c] tapping into that knowledge of the markets to identify innovation opportunities yielding new technologies in the space. Separately, this position will be a critical one to contribute to company-wide growth and future brand strategies. This position requires extremely strong skincare formulation knowledge and skilled experience in experimentation on the bench with conventional and/or nonconventional/creative approaches with new formula bases, raw ingredients, and application of testing, processing, and imaging techniques that will lead to product development with unique claims and benefits.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities include the following. Other duties may be assigned.
- Responsible for RID product development projects, processes, the laboratory, and the productivity of staff so that (as a team) performance and product/project requirements can exceed expectations;
- Responsible for the development of new products or modifications of existing ones with different degrees of complexity;
- Manages the team, priorities, and work of teams, ensuring appropriate resourcing in place to align with CDMO business needs, product timelines, and calendar;
- Ensures the timely completion of product/project development activities and committed deadlines;
- Having a handle on multiple projects of the lab (sometimes 20+/week) and knowing precisely the status of each is critical;
- Responsible for the hands-on managing, training, and supervision of a diverse team of formulation scientists in an assigned laboratory and for managing the RID laboratory’s productivity to ensure compliance to customer deadlines. NOTE: this may include the direction and management of the activities of 0 - 10 direct reports;
- Performs special technology projects, as assigned. Utilizes creativity to provide innovative products and concepts that will provide future growth for the company;
- While managing the team is expected, this Manager may be called on to innovate themselves, produce working prototypes, and lead scale-up of lab batches to pilot and production sizes;
- Must be able to incorporate the necessary safety, clinical, and regulatory aspects into their projects
- Determine, design, and perform experiments to evaluate new and/or alternate raw materials and packaging through bench trials;
- Keeps RID management and cross-functional colleagues informed of project progress and serves as an organizational resource for all levels of the organization.;
- Have knowledge of and use the command of innovative ingredients and technologies in-market; trends of future market; and how they are ideally implemented in product development, this role will be the point of RID expertise for all commercialized product inquiries made from the skin or health care professional;
- Knowledgeable of the importance of processing, operating, and design factors that affect skincare, sun care, OTC, and medical device formulations;
- Directs the development of all products with excellent organizational skills and can without fail to keep the business need in mind, from interpreting project direction to project challenges. ;
- Uses mastery and data to seek out non-obvious project and technology connections, anticipating technical issues and resolving problems;
- Coordinates and communicates responsibilities with external organizations (e.g. customers, raw material suppliers, consultants, independent testing laboratories, etc.) to execute project responsibilities;
- Builds organizational talent and capability through coaching and mentoring of scientists and lab technicians and works towards building a strong productive team;
- Develops specifications for new and/or reformulated products, ensuring product quality and must have working knowledge of (so as to comply with) FDA regulations and Good Documentation and cGMP practices.
- Graduate degree in Chemistry, Chemical Engineering, Biochemistry, Biochemical Engineering, or closely related scientific/technical degree with 10-15 years of application in R&D formulation at cosmetics/personal care, OTC drug, innovation, or medical device industries; Strong background in Innovation preferred. Master’s Degree Preferred;
- Bachelor's degree in Chemistry, Engineering, or another technical degree with 15-20 years of experience in cosmetics/personal care, OTC drug, or medical device development with a strong background working with diverse formulations and true innovations will also be accepted;
- Advanced knowledge of product innovation and development processes including experience in scale-up activities in a manufacturing environment;
- Strong analytical, problem-solving, and project management skills.
- Excellent communication, interpersonal, and computer skills.
- Must be able to work independently with strong organizational and presentation skills.
- Must be able to collaborate cross-functionally and foster constructive productivity in, and across, teams.
- Knowledge of Microsoft Office and other basic computer skills. Able to effectively handle software applications that are needed in today’s work environment including, but not limited to, MS Office Suite; be trainable on a variety of databases, repositories, and management systems; etc.
This job has supervisory responsibilities.
We value our employees’ time and efforts. Our commitment to your success is enhanced by our competitive annual salary, an extensive benefits package including paid time off, medical, dental and vision benefits, 401K plan with company match and future growth opportunities within the company. Plus, we work to maintain the best possible environment for our employees, where people can learn and grow with the company. We strive to provide a collaborative, creative environment where each person feels encouraged to contribute to our processes, decisions, planning, and culture.
We are an equal opportunity employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.