Everything School Specialty offers is designed for one purpose – to help students succeed. We believe every student can flourish in an environment where they feel safe and inspired to explore and grow.
People Passion Purpose
We’re determined to positively impact the future, one child at a time. We need to talk if you share our passion:
Transforming more than classrooms.®
IT and Program Management Internship
At School Specialty we have a passion for learning and everything we offer is designed for one purpose, creating safe and inspiring learning environments for all.
School Specialty is offering paid internships in various areas of IT and Program Management. Imagine an opportunity where classroom studies are applied to practical experiences: where participants have a special opportunity to contribute to a company, learning and working with the best in the business. Our Internship Program is an opportunity for students to obtain real life work experience in the discipline of their degree. This program sets the student apart from others and upon graduation they will have relevant job experience on their resume.
The exciting Internship Program runs for 13 weeks from mid-May to mid-August. You will intern in one of our IT or Program Management functional areas based upon your skills, experiences and coursework and will work on challenging, real world assignments. You will be supervised by an IT Manager with a dotted line to an IT Intern Oversite Manager, and will work closely with and learn from a peer group comprised of former interns who were hired fulltime. You will also have the opportunity to participate in many leadership development, networking, and community building activities. This will be a position of no more than 40 hours per week.
Interns that complete the Internship Program are eligible for extended employment from mid-August through mid-May of the following year. Interns that complete the Internship Program are eligible to apply for fulltime positions.
Calendar for upcoming 2022 Internship Program:
- May 16, 2022 - Internship program begins
- May 16-20, 2022 - Orientation program onsite in Greenville, WI
- June 24, 2022 - Mid-term evaluations completed by IT Manager
- August 5, 2022 - Final evaluations completed by IT Manager
- August 8-12, 2022 - Intern presentations on their accomplishments. Recognition luncheon.
- August 10, 2022 - Interns complete experience survey
- August 12, 2022 - Internship program ends
Multiple opportunities are available:
- Currently pursuing a Bachelor’s degree in Information Technology or related degree with interest to one or more functional areas listed below
- Have completed Sophomore year by beginning of program start date
- Solid record of academic achievement
- Self-motivation and sense of ownership and accountability
- Ability to work in a team environment as well as independently and professionally
- Demonstrated leadership skills through student organizations, athletics, volunteerism, or similar activities
- Strong written and verbal communication skills
- Detail-oriented with excellent time management and organizational skills
- Flexibility and ability to thrive in a rapidly changing, highly complex environment
- Ability to start on the program start date and work the full 13 weeks
- Must be a US citizen, a lawful, permanent resident, or have authorization to work in the United States
- Project Management
- Business Analysis
- Quality Assurance
- Software Development
- Desktop Services
- Program Management
IT Project Manager Intern
This position is responsible for assisting the PMO (Project Management Office) team with project planning and PMO administration. Summary of essential job functions:
- Manage small scope, short duration projects, including resource assignment, project plans and budget monitoring.
- Assist the Senior PMs with monitoring time accounting, setting up projects in Microsoft Project Online, updating resource assignments, following up with team action items, and updating status reports.
IT Business Analyst Intern
This position is responsible for assisting the Application Services and Business Analysis team with analyzing issues, defining, and documenting requirements, and developing and testing solutions to support business processes for applications. Summary of essential job functions:
- Coordinate with business owners, Information Technology professionals, and software providers on a project basis to deploy new business process improvement projects. This includes gathering functional requirements, creating functional design specifications, unit, and functional testing, coordinating user acceptance testing, and creating support team documentation.
- Troubleshoot functional application issues. Develop and implement solutions in coordination with applications development, business users, third-party support, and other resources.
- Work with business functional teams on configuration changes and design for performance improvement.
IT Quality Assurance Analyst Intern
This position is responsible for assisting the QA team with testing application development solutions. Summary of essential job functions:
- Build test cases and execute functional test scripts to support user story requirements for application development projects.
- Log defects and track resolution activities.
IT Software Development Intern
This position is responsible for assisting the application development team with building applications, testing application code, and documenting final solutions. This position will be responsible for learning software solution delivery and applying those steps to development work for new functionality, enhancement, and support of existing applications. Summary of essential job functions:
- Work with mentors to learn the development and deployment model using a variety of development and operations tools, such as the Atlassian development suite.
IT Desktop Services Intern
This position is responsible for providing day-to-day support of desktop and voice technology on site in the Greenville, WI facility. Summary of essential job functions:
- Configure computer hardware using standard approved images
- Performs hardware and software installations and upgrades and routine preventative maintenance.
- Applies basic troubleshooting skills to resolve routine incidents and service requests.
IT Infrastructure / Server Intern
This position is responsible for troubleshooting and support work in infrastructure services. Summary of essential job functions:
Program Management Intern
- Assist with analyzing and troubleshooting multiple platforms that the technology infrastructure oversees and supports.
- Assist with change control, incident response, documentation, and testing changes to servers and software platforms. This includes anticipating, mitigating, identifying, responding to, and resolving issues with the systems and software.
This position if responsible for assisting the program management team to manage the intake and delivery of technology solutions. Interns will be placed in Information Technology areas that focus on the following business areas based upon interests, skills, experience & coursework:
Summary of essential job functions:
- Customer Service
- Marketing and Ecommerce
- Supply Chain
- Corporate Functions – HR, Legal and Finance
- Data Analytics
- Work closely with their respective program manager to gather high level requirements and build business cases for proposed technology solutions.
- Manage the project funnel and identify trends in service desk tickets for potential enhancements.
- The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed by people assigned to this classification. They are not to be construed as an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, duties, and skills required of personnel so classified. All personnel may be required to perform duties outside of their normal responsibilities from time to time, as needed.
- School Specialty, LLC. is a Drug Free Workplace. All applicants are subject to a drug screen and background check as a condition of employment.
- We are an Equal Opportunity Employer and do not discriminate against any employee or applicant for employment because of race, color, sex, age, national origin, religion, sexual orientation, gender identity and/or expression.
- EEO/AA including Vets and Disabled status as a veteran, and basis of disability or any other federal, state or local protected class.
- If you need a reasonable accommodation for any part of the employment process, please contact us by email at Opportunities@SchoolSpecialty.com and let us know the nature of your request and your contact information.
Option 1: Create a New Profile