Option 1: Create a New Profile
Manager, Strategic Initiatives
- Job Title
- Manager, Strategic Initiatives
- Job ID
- Houston, TX 77010
- Other Location
The Center For Houston's Future is looking for the next professional to help advance its efforts in strategic initiatives, specifically expanding research and strategic planning practices.
Visit Center For Houston's Future to learn more https://www.centerforhoustonsfuture.org/.
Job Description Summary:
Oversee one of the Center’s core areas of focus, its strategic initiatives which look at global trends and their implications on the Houston region. The individual selected will be responsible for leading high visibility community initiatives in areas such as health care and immigration and assisting on climate and energy and related initiatives. In addition, the individual will lead the expansion of CHF research and strategic planning practices, capacity and visibility to help ensure that those efforts are impactful, relevant and lead to high priority, organized community action. This job is a great opportunity to have an impact on major policy issues facing the Houston region and by extension, given Houston’s role as a global energy and health care leader, on the nation and the world.
The following responsibilities are essential to job performance:
- Oversee and participate in the strategic planning processes of the organization and related activities through effective meeting facilitation, responsive dialogue, timely and effective written documentation and conducting events.
- Assess need, plan, direct, carry out and write various research studies. Identify, develop and present policy analysis regarding issues under examination.
- Create and analyze economic models and scenarios.
- Engage in extensive community outreach efforts including presentations throughout the community.
- Identify and build relationships with key civic/business leaders and groups to support the Center’s Strategic Initiative programs.
- Recruit and supervise Center fellows, interviewees, interns, focus group participants and volunteers.
- Supervise any programmatic and administrative staff as they are added, including work allocation, training, problem resolution and training.
- As requested, represent the organization at various community and/or business meetings; promote existing and new planning and research initiatives.
- Plan, coordinate, and carry out a range of strategic, operations, and administrative project and tasks, as assigned.
- Assist in developing a communications strategy on planning initiatives and promoting Center as resource for research, policy development, and long-range planning.
- Website and database work as need.
- General Center duties as needed.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES
The following knowledge, skills and abilities are desirable for job success:
- B.A. in related field. Master’s preferred.
- 5-10 years of overall public or private sector experience managing and executing strategic planning efforts
- 5 years or more of local experience with multiple contacts throughout the region desired beneficial, but not required.
- Strategy consulting or strategic planning experience preferred
- Business, Non-Profit experience strongly preferred
- Effective executive-level communication skills with senior leadership & external audiences
- Ability to facilitate internal meetings Knowledge of the principles of strategic planning and ability to analyze, research, and distill information into policy options, focusing on strategic outcomes.
- Ability to work effectively with a wide range of constituencies in a diverse community.
- Strong research and writing skills.
- Ability to master large quantities of diverse information and to condense complicated technical subject matter into effective writing and communications to facilitate policy development.
- Strong skills in statistical analysis. Proficiency with statistical packages such as Stata or R. Proficiency in Python preferred. Computer skills include power point, excel, internet research, and manipulation of photographs.
- Ability to assess, develop and implement appropriate research initiatives.
- Strong interviewing and interview analysis skills.
- Skill in organization resources and establishing priorities.
- Ability to develop, plan, and implement short-and long-range goals.
- Program management and administrative skills.
- Demonstrated preference for detail work and history of exercising mature judgment and tact.
· Good vision and hearing acuity (with adaptive aids if necessary).
· Manual dexterity and skillful use of computer keyboard.
· Physical exertion includes bending, pushing, standing, and walking. Must be able to move or lift approximately 25 pounds on occasion.
MENTAL AND APTITUDE REQUIREMENTS:
· Job requires the ability to hear, see, and talk; analytical, conceptual, problem-solving, planning and decision-making skills.
SAFETY REQUIREMENTS: No special requirements.
Note: The statements herein are intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed by employees assigned to this classification. They should not be construed as an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, duties, and skills required of personnel so classified.
What we offer
We value our employees’ time and efforts. Our commitment to your success is enhanced by our competitive compensation commensurate with experience. We also offer an extensive benefits package including paid garage parking, paid time off, medical, dental and vision benefits, and future growth opportunities within the company. Plus, we work to maintain the best possible environment for our employees where people can learn and grow with the company. We strive to provide a collaborative, creative environment where each person feels encouraged to contribute to our processes, decisions, planning and culture.
The Center is committed to providing equal opportunity for all applicants without regard to race, color, gender, religion, national or ethnic origin, marital status, familial status, sexual orientation, disability, political affiliation, veteran’s status, or any other legally protected status.