Ophthalmic Technician and Scribe
- Job Title
- Ophthalmic Technician and Scribe
- Job ID
- Mechanicsville, VA 23111
- Other Location
Our team is growing and we are seeking a highly-motivated, service-minded, professional, to join our team located in Midlothian, VA. An ideal candidate will be a hardworking team player. The opportunity to learn and grow with us is substantial – we want candidates who are passionate about what they do.
This individual is responsible for performing an extensive number of data collection functions, as delegated by the physician, to allow for proper diagnosis of the patient’s condition; demonstrating comprehension of the ophthalmic technician skills, as out lined by the Joint Commission on Allied Health Personnel in Ophthalmology (JCAHPO). Provides accurate documentation and summarization of the ocular examination and recommendations while maintaining patient flow and communications.
1. Acquaints all new patients with the office procedures to which they will be exposed. Informs patients of the purpose of all tests personally performed and how they will be affected during the tests.
2. Obtains patient history to include chief complaint, history of present illness, past history (ocular and general), family history (ocular and general), and history of allergies and medications.
3. Performs accurate and consistent documentation and measurement tasks to include:
· Visual acuity
· Manual lensometry
· Confrontational visual fields
· Evaluation of motility
· Pupillary function tests
· Dilation of pupils
· Visual field testing
· Optic nerve scanning (i.e. OCT, HRT, GDx)
· Corneal topography
· Other tasks specific to the physician’s needs as a result of new technologies
4.Performs duties consistent with ophthalmic scribe:
- Correctly summarizes and documents what the physician verbalizes during an examination, including but not limited to: proper charting of the examination, documenting additions to the chief complaint, assessment and recommendations for treatment (including justification of decisions reached when appropriate)
- Knows required components of examination for appropriate CPT coding to ensure all elements are accurately completed
- When applicable, prepares accurate eyeglass or contact lens prescriptions and/or medication prescriptions for the physician’s signature prior to the completion of the examination
- Alerts physician to patient-related forms that need completion
- Knows the correct ICD-10 diagnosis codes and applies appropriate billing CPT codes
5.Completes workflows as directed to meet all Compliance and Quality requirements
6.Performs accurate and consistent documentation and routine ophthalmic tests and measurements
7.Assists physician with office procedures while maintaining practice standards of sterile technique and infection control
ESSENTIAL SKILLS AND ABILITIES:
1. Strong communication and interpersonal skills
2. Problem-solving and analytical skills
3. Empathetic personality with attention to patient’s needs
4. Strong organizational skills with attention to detail; ability to prioritize tasks
5. Ability to work as a team member and uphold organizational standards and values
6. Mechanical ability and manual dexterity for operating complicated equipment
7. Demonstrated computer literacy
8. Ability to perform comprehensive work-ups on 3.5 patients per hour
1. Excellent judgment, dependability, and diligence
2. Demonstrated high ethical standards and integrity
3. Demonstrated attention to detail
4. Demonstrated accuracy and thoroughness; monitors own work to ensure quality
5. Customer and patient service orientation: prompt response to patient needs and ability to manage difficult or emotional customer situations with tact, empathy and diplomacy
6. Professionalism: displays positive outlook and pleasant manner, does not instigate or participate in office gossip or negativity, keeps commitments, dresses appropriately and is well groomed
7. Ability to work cooperatively in group situations; offers assistance and support to coworkers, actively resolves conflicts, inspires trust of others, and treats patients and coworkers with respect
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE
Minimum of high school education or GED. Prefer three to five years experience as an Ophthalmic Technician. Completion of medical terminology and/or ophthalmic terminology courses is encouraged. Scribe certification and/or certified ophthalmic assistant/technician is strongly preferred.
The physical demands and work environment characteristics described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Physical demands: While performing the duties of this job, employee is required to stand for the majority of the work shift. Must be able to adjust position quickly, walk frequently; sit occasionally; use hands to handle, or feel objects, tools, or controls frequently; reach with hands and arms; talk and hear and communicate with speech clarity including softly spoken words frequently; balance, stoop, kneel, and bend occasionally. Employee must lift and/or move 50 pounds occasionally and assist with patient transfers.
Specific vision abilities required by the job include ability to type and write legibly in a dimly-lit setting, close vision, distant vision, color vision, peripheral vision, depth perception.
Work environment: Setting typical of an ophthalmology medical practice with office-type features and limited surgical equipment. While performing the duties of this job, the employee may be exposed to biohazard risks. This is a full-time job with typical hours of Monday through Thursday 8-5:30 and Fridays 8-2. The office is closed on Saturdays and Sundays.
Benefits: Full-time employees are eligible for employer-contributed healthcare, life, and personal accident insurance. Dental insurance and additional insurance is available. Two weeks Paid Time Off starting and nine company paid holidays. Continuing education programs are available for all that are interested.