- Job Title
- Production Manager
- Job ID
The Production Manager is responsible for leading, developing, and enabling the production team and its employees to achieve the operational objectives set forth with the goal of establishing and maintaining a world-class operation.
The Production Manager provides leadership and direction to the plant in the following areas of responsibility: administration, production, processing, packaging, scheduling, sanitation, quality, purchasing, safety and environmental. Coordinate with Plant Operations Manager as the liaison between the Plant and other departments including Distribution, Divisional, and State and Federal Regulatory Personnel.
Duties and Responsibilities (including but not limited to):
- Responsible for performance of production, packaging, and receiving operations with a focus on safety, quality efficiency, cost, and positive employee environment.
- Develop, troubleshoot, and improve manufacturing processes and equipment with assistance from the Plant Operations Manager and support teams.
- Monitor and oversee the quality of the finished product.
- Manage and evaluate production resources to ensure high quality productivity with minimal down time.
- Plan, implement, and control the production schedule and make revisions and adjustments as necessary.
- Maintain the equipment and facility in a sanitary condition.
- Work with Maintenance and Engineering to coordinate and implement capital projects and maintenance activities.
- Provide leadership, direction, and guidance to production and supervisory personnel. Develop supervisors to support the plant.
- Ensure customer needs are met, including product performance, quality, cost, and timely shipment of orders.
- Monitor and control departmental costs in comparison with budgetary objectives.
- Promote and enforce safety programs and policies in order to reduce employee accidents and injuries. Schedule and coordinate safety trainings.
- Promote and enforce GMP’s, HACCP, quality, and sanitation standards, to ensure product quality and integrity. Schedule and coordinate quality trainings.
- Troubleshoot and lead problem solving initiatives through the facilitation of team meetings and on-the-floor leadership. Effectively change systems and update procedures through continuous improvement and exceptional communication. Engage employees in systematic, data-based improvement activities and succession planning.
- Complete paperwork, including production/quality records, Master Sanitation lists, schedules, accident reports and investigations to meet our BRC requirements.
- Ensure the consistent application of company policies and procedures. Apply employee progressive disciplinary action when warranted, using documentation procedures and forms.
- Direct the overall activities of the manufacturing facility to ensure customer orders are received, scheduled, and produced at the lowest possible cost to meet the customer’s requirements while maintaining established safety and quality standards.
- Analyze plant operations and key metrics to ensure that the facility maintains high quality and safety standards to establish a leadership position in the industry.
- Oversee expense management and control, including shrink, labor and overhead costs.
- Develop and nurture a culture of excellence, food safety, employee safety, a “can do” and LEAN approach.
- Ensure that Standard Operating Procedures are developed and maintained for all aspects of production.
- Engage in the standard responsibilities of a manager requiring planning, evaluating, organizing, integrating, and delegating.
- Provide management of employees directly or through supervisors to ensure effective selection, retention, development, disciplinary action and performance management.
- Work closely with Quality to keep production in a constant state of preparedness for third-party audits, including GFSI, Organic, Kosher, FDA, Health Department, etc.
- Lead and develop plant team to ensure they accomplish company objectives; do their best work; are treated well; and understand the value they create and their importance to the team.
- Perform other duties as required. This list of responsibilities and duties is not all inclusive and may change over time.
Required Skills/Qualifications (including but not limited to):
- Bachelor’s degree or commensurate experience
- A minimum of 5 years hands-on plant experience in a food manufacturing plant with a minimum of 2 years of supervisory experience.
- Experience with Good Manufacturing Practices and GFSI audits. Kosher and Organic a plus.
- Proficient in Microsoft Office Suite and computer-based applications.
- Excellent verbal/written communication skills.
- Background in adapting to changing organizational and operational needs; effective in leading others through growth in a fast-paced environment.
- Expertise in organization and prioritization, and attention to detail.
- Proven ability to select, lead, coach, influence, motivate, develop, engage, and retain a team of employees.
- Internal Drive – the desire for excellence
- Service Orientation – actively looking for ways to help people and function as a team player
- Accountability – the ability to follow through on an established obligation and a willingness to accept responsibility of the outcome
- Active Learning – understanding the implications of new information for current and future problem-solving and decision-making
- Planning and Organizing
- Superb attention to detail
- Decisive decision maker
- Initiative – the ability to originate new ideas or methods; to think and act without being urged
- Integrity – the ability to adhere to moral and ethical principles
- Professionalism – adherence to courtesy, honesty, and responsibility in one’s dealings with co-workers and customers
- Communication – the ability to listen to and understand information and ideas presented in writing, through spoken words and sentences, and the ability to communicate information and ideas in writing and speaking so others will understand
- Ability to develop personnel competencies and provide clear and concise understanding of objectives for the organization.
- Capability to prepare subordinate/s for transition to higher level positions in the organization.
- Ability to handle conflict and display excellent diplomacy skills in handling situations which can be disruptive to the organization’s business development.
- Effective leadership with excellent communication, interpersonal, and writing skills.
- Interpersonal - Being aware of others' reactions and understanding why they react as they do; being flexible; and, listening to others with full attention, taking time to understand the points being made, asking questions as appropriate, and not interrupting at inappropriate times.
- Problem Solving - Identifying problems and reviewing related information to develop and evaluate options and implement solutions.
- Time Management and Attendance - Managing one's own time and consistently reporting to work, meetings, or other scheduled events in a timely manner; and, notifying others appropriately of planned or unplanned absences and tardiness.