A Mid-Atlantic based Ophthalmology and Optometry management services company.
- Job Title
- Registered Nurse
- Job ID
- Williamsburg, VA 23185
- Other Location
Job Summary: This individual is accountable for the assessment, planning, implementation, and coordination of patient care from admission to discharge. Responsible for acting as the supervisor of the patient, while in the pre-operative and recovery room areas, including direct supervision of the medical assistants, acting as a patient advocate, and ensuring that quality care is administered. Provides safe, quality patient care.
Education and Experience:
- Licensed Registered Nurses in the state of Virginia.
- Operating room experience with at least one-year expertise in a surgical specialty or related field.
- Supervision and management experience preferred.
- Current CPR certification.
Essential Skills and Abilities:
- Capacity for making quick, intelligent decisions, and initiating appropriate actions.
- Strong written and verbal communication skills.
- Stable, mature, and dependable.
- Excellent communication skills.
- Empathetic personality with concern for patients’ needs.
- Identifies patient, assesses, and provides additional intra-operative patient teaching:
- Evaluates patient’s LOC and baseline vital signs.
- Evaluates ambulatory status.
- Assess dilation of op eye (if applicable).
- Assess effectiveness of orbital block when utilized.
- Assists patients to OR bed, attaching restraining straps and headrest.
- Assists anesthetist, as follows:
- Applies pulse oximeter.
- Applies blood pressure pulse and cardiac monitors.
- Applies oxygen.
- Applies stereo headphones.
- Prepares eyes for surgery.
- Assists technician in draping patient.
- Sets-up phacoemulsification and other equipment as necessary.
- Gathers necessary supplies to assist the surgeon, anesthetist, and OR technician.
- Checks with the physician on type and power of lens to be used in lens implant surgery.
- Assists in moving patient to recovery room area.
- Completes written operative record.
- Assists in preparing room for subsequent cases.
- Assists in providing in-service training for all staff members, in the following areas:
- Fire safety drills.
- Infection control.
- Medical education.
- Assists in cleaning of pre-/post-op room, supplies, and equipment.
- Assists in ordering supplies and equipment.
- Participates in an ongoing quality assurance program.
- Assists director of nursing in improving teaching program for staff members.
- Reviews all policies and procedures on a yearly basis.
- Attends continuing education courses relevant to field specialty.
- Provides a safe environment for treating surgical patients from cross infection.