Patient Access Manager
- Job Title
- Patient Access Manager
- Job ID
- Richmond, VA 23219
- Other Location
The Patient Access Manager is responsible for integrating the Administrative and Revenue Cycle Department's services with the company’s primary functions and developing/implementing policies and procedures that guide and support services in the patient registration department and related functions. This person will oversee facility operations of Patient Access functions (e.g. pre-registration, benefit verification, pre-authorization, service pre-payment, etc.) to ensure daily operations are maintained according to guidelines in all interactions with the patient and ensure staff are adhering to the patient experience expectations.
- Review Administrative Staff performance to ensure timeliness, accuracy, compliance, and standards and implement process improvements to lower costs and improve services to facility
- Responsible for identifying and implementing strategies to improve processes, promote operational efficiency, enhance the patient experience, and meet regulatory compliance guidelines.
- Conducts performance evaluations that are timely and provides educational opportunities.
- Directs hiring and training for leadership and oversees the hiring and training of patient access staff. Manages the budget.
- Provides vision, leadership, and operational oversight for on-site Patient Access staff within a specific market.
- Will provide direction to all registration and front desk teams across all entry points. This includes establishing positive, collaborative relationships with operational leaders at these specific sites or markets.
- Organizes functions through establishing clear accountabilities, delegation of duties, and appropriate departmentalization without creating silos.
- Develops and maintains an effective, visible and well-respected team by selecting, evaluating, coaching, and managing the performance of qualified professionals.
- Negotiates and recruits with other department managers the need for cross-training and support in their areas as necessary.
- Promotes team-building relationships in all areas of responsibility.
- Works in a collaborative manner with all managers/team leaders to ensure a successful and compliant revenue cycle process.
- Accountable for a comprehensive and effective communication strategy within the practices and/or market that promotes Employee Engagement, which includes enhanced employee productivity and morale.
- Communication style should promote a common understanding of the practice/market, vision, strategy, and accountabilities.
- Promotes a culture of two-way communications and creates opportunities for staff participation.
- Determines appropriate staffing levels, monitors compensation, and strengthens the recruiting and retention process.
- Responsible for developing and monitoring strategic initiatives that drive patient access to eyecare and maximize patient acquisition and retention for eycare products
- Lead development of customer experience strategy and translate strategy into industry-leading support programs for patients – ie: benefit investigation, co-pay assistance, patient assistance program, field based educational programs including self-service digital as well as hub support offerings
- Lead process to evaluate and establish patient hub services and vendor partners
- Design, establish and manage an overall monitoring and controls mechanism for support being provided to patients
- Ensure all relevant SOPs and work instructions are developed and maintained
- Monitor market insights to establish continuous improvement processes- consistently assess and adjust support being provided to patients
- Recruit, train, manage and develop staff as required
- The Manager of Patient Access is responsible for the coordination and oversight of the customer experience delivered at all points of entry into our health centers including scheduling, insurance verification, authorizations, and all front desk activities
- Responsible for the supervision of the Scheduling Coordinator and all front desk staff
- This position will work to further the patient experience by assisting in customer service and other trainings of health center staff
- Coordinates public feedback responses for clinical services and insures feedback is documented and results shared with clinical services senior management
- Thorough understanding of, or ability to quickly learn, the office equipment, recordkeeping systems, electronic medical records (EMR) systems, and related protocols used in the organization
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Professional and tactful interpersonal skills with the ability to interact with a variety of personalities
- Strong leadership and supervisory skills
- Excellent organizational skills and attention to detail
- Excellent customer service skills
- Excellent time management skills with proven ability to meet deadlines
- Extremely proficient with Microsoft Office Suite or related software
- Methodical, linear thinker, and solution-oriented
Education and Experience:
- Bachelor’s Degree in Business or related field preferred, or Equivalent work experience may Minimum 5 years healthcare management experience with three of these years in the related area for the position
- Five years of experience in administration including a minimum of three years in a supervisory capacity, required
- Experience in Healthcare, Optometry or Ophthalmology preferred
- Experience with a multiline phone system
- Prolonged periods sitting at a desk and working on a computer
- Must be able to lift up to 15 pounds at times
- Travel required- up to 40%