The job you're applying for is no longer available; please search our other great opportunities by clicking 'ALL JOBS' above!
Director of Public Relations
- Job Title
- Director of Public Relations
- Job ID
- ALEXANDRIA, VA 22314-3406
- Other Location
American Moving and Storage Association (AMSA) represents more than 4,000 members, including interstate moving and storage companies, local movers, international movers plus industry suppliers and state association members. AMSA’s chief goals include strong support for effective government regulations and policies that protect consumers while allowing members to provide quality service at compensatory prices, and ensuring that consumers understand the value of professional moving and storage services.
Director, Public Relations
As our Director of Public Relations, you will be the primary contact for the public, news media and Public Relations Officers from member companies and state associations. You will be charged with developing and producing print and electronic communications that position the association and the industry in a positive light, as well as serving as staff liaison to AMSA’s board Communications Advisory Committee, implementing the industry’s image campaign and conceiving and directing strategic communications activities related to advocacy, media relations, and ProMover, our professional mover certification program. You will also oversee development and production of AMSA’s print and online publications including Direction magazine, AMSA Today bi-weekly e-newsletter, quarterly e-newsletters and data publications, and AMSA’s Annual Report.
- Establish relationships with key industry media and stakeholders, and successfully place and broadcast AMSA news.
- Field media inquiries, serve as spokesperson for association and industry information, and work with President and CEO to determine when it is more appropriate to have her interviewed and/or quoted.
- Feed media contacts regular AMSA and industry news, and compose and distribute letters to the editor on key issues.
- Identify media opportunities and coordinate interviews with AMSA senior staff and reporters/producers.
Public Relations and Strategic Communications
- Oversee the development of a proactive media and public relations agenda aimed at educating consumers, regulators and the media on the benefits of hiring a professional mover, how to prepare for a successful move, how to avoid being scammed by rogue operators, and the importance of the ProMover program.
- Write speeches and develop talking points for CEO and senior staff.
- Develop scripts, write speeches, and oversee production of general sessions, awards events, and breakout sessions for annual education conference.
- Serve as staff liaison to Communications Advisory Committee and work with committee chair to set and carry out the committee’s vision.
- Develop and present content, in person and via webinars, to educate and support members’ public relations activities and adoption and use of ProMover messaging and collateral.
Print and Electronic Publications
- Work with outside publisher to oversee production of Direction magazine and utilize the publication as a promotional vehicle for association programs and services, industry news and other relevant information that is valuable to the membership.
- Develop, edit and/or oversee production of electronic newsletters and data publications, as well as association annual report.
- Bachelor’s degree in Communications, Journalism or related field.
- Minimum of 7-10 years related work experience.
- Proficient in Microsoft Office.
- Must be able to meet tight deadlines and handle multiple projects simultaneously.
- Excellent verbal, written communication and interpersonal skills.
- Ability to manage committees and build consensus.
We value our employees’ time and efforts. Our commitment to your success is enhanced by our competitive compensation and extensive benefits package. Plus, we work to maintain the best possible environment for our employees where people can learn and grow with the company. We strive to provide a collaborative, creative environment where each person feels encouraged to contribute to our processes, decisions, planning and culture.
To respond to this opportunity, please send resume and cover letter with salary requirements to: