- Job Title
- Job ID
- HOUSTON, TX 77024-4257
- Other Location
The International Facility Management Association (IFMA) is the world's largest and most widely recognized international association for facility management professionals, supporting 24,000 members in more than 100 countries. This diverse membership participates in focused component groups equipped to address their unique situations by region (136 chapters), industry (16 councils) and areas of interest (6 communities). Together they manage more than 78 billion square feet of property and annually purchase more than US $526 billion in products and services. Formed in 1980, IFMA certifies professionals in facility management, conducts research, provides educational programs, content and resources, and produces World Workplace, the world's largest series of facility management conferences and expositions.
Chief Executive Officer (CEO)
The International Facility Management Association (IFMA) seeks an experienced and forward-thinking executive with the talent, character, vision and proven business acumen to lead the association to the next level of engagement and influence, building on our history of advancing the professional discipline of facility management (FM) worldwide; to work collaboratively with IFMA’s global board of directors to position the association for strategic growth; to model and drive an exceptional organizational culture; and to serve as the voice and champion of the FM industry.
To be the global standard and resource for facility management.
Advance the professional discipline of facility management worldwide.
We believe people come first. We are committed to enable, empower and equip facility management professionals. We will provide training and knowledge sharing to support safe, sustainable and resilient workplaces focused on achieving the organizational goals. We are committed to advancing the industry by conducting all of our activities in accordance with our core values as stewards of the built environment.
- Stakeholder perspective: Provide exceptional value and credibility by leveraging credentials, knowledge sharing and experience by providing geographically relevant offerings.
- Internal perspective: Deliver exceptional value to stakeholders by optimizing governance, systems and alignment.
- Learning and growth perspective: Magnify the importance of facility management worldwide by fostering a culture of innovation, passion and meaning among stakeholders.
- Financial perspective: Exercise fiduciary responsibility and accountability through diversified revenue, distributed risk, cash and investment management, and prudent decision making.
- As a not-for-profit member centric organization, the President/Chief Executive Officer (CEO) is accountable to the Executive Committee of IFMA’s Global Board of Directors. IFMA exists to guide and develop facility management professionals by providing exceptional services, products, resources and opportunities. In support of its members, IFMA promotes the facility management profession through education, credentialing, government relations, leadership opportunities, publishing, recognizing excellence, research and standards development. The overall roles and responsibilities of the President/CEO include directing, managing and conducting the business of the association, subject to its Articles of Incorporation, the Constitution, Bylaws and the policy decisions of the Board of Directors.
- With the understanding that the very nature of the profession it represents is undergoing rapid change, the President/CEO will generate new ideas and approaches, present them to appropriate stakeholders, and develop approved programs in support of the association’s strategic direction. The role implements the vision, mission and strategy of the association through establishing, and effectively and efficiently directing, the operational objectives and goals.
In keeping with the policies and directives of the Board of Directors, the President/CEO:
External Relationships and Affairs
- Maintains effective public relations; strongly and positively represents and promotes the association and the profession globally.
- Maintains an effective interface and appropriate relationships, as the “face” of IFMA, with other associations, industry, government and the media to enhance the image of the association and the attainment of its objectives.
- Works positively with all levels of association stakeholders as well as all other organizations, where the association may derive benefit.
- Coordinates international outreach and policies for the association.
- Inspires vision and a sense of core purpose in others in support of the association, seeing possibilities beyond today.
- Direct reports include: Chief Operating Officer (COO); Executive Director, External Affairs; Director, Research; Controller; Executive Administrative Services Officer; Executive Director, IFMA Foundation.
- Oversees the activities of the executive team.
- Presents proposed annual budget for review and approval by the Board of Directors.
- Understands the fundamental aspects of financial planning, budgeting, fundraising, research and investments to enhance the association’s position.
- Responsible for the financial performance to budget and reporting on a monthly basis.
- Understands all technical, operational and ethical issues facing the organization and ensures the legal and regulatory integrity of the association.
- Works with and fully supports the COO to oversee the organizational structure for the association.
- Develops a strategic plan in concert with the Board of Directors.
- Responsible for gaining board approval of annual KPI’s and achieving the goals in accordance with the strategic plan.
- Provides guidance to the Board of Directors and component leadership on policy matters, historical perspective, and association management best practices and governance.
- Establishes open communication and cooperation between the board and staff to develop high levels of respect and trust between parties.
Year One Critical Success Factors:
- Performs an annual review of the strategic plan.
- Builds positive professional relationships with key industry stakeholders including the IFMA Fellows, component and committee leadership, and external strategic industry partners.
- Accomplishes agreed upon goals and actions documented in the annual balanced scorecard.
- Meets financial targets and objectives outlined in the annual budget.
Professional Experience / Qualifications:
- The ideal candidate will be a creative and an innovative leader, with a minimum of 10 years executive leadership experience within either a national or global nonprofit association or a business with relevant professional/industry experience.
- Demonstrated track record of success and proven management and financial business acumen within an organization of similar or larger scale and complexity.
- Integrity and honesty in all actions and words, to serve as a role model for all association staff members and constituents.
- As a global association, the IFMA President/CEO must have the required knowledge base to drive its international growth.
- Establish environmental and modeling behaviors where creativity, ethics, productivity, joyfulness, motivation, and personal and professional development can flourish for staff, association leaders and members.
- Can quickly separate the mission-critical from other requests and understands the importance of mission-critical activities.
- Presents effectively and has the ability to engage various audiences.
- Relates well to people and makes a pleasant first impression.
- Negotiates skillfully to achieve a fair outcome for IFMA and other key stakeholders.
- Demonstrates a level of high integrity and adheres to IFMA’s core values.
- The successful candidate will hold a bachelor’s degree in business or other pertinent degrees. A Certified Association Executive (CAE) designation or a master’s degree will be considered a plus.
- A compensation package will be discussed during the interview process.
- Intermediate level of facility management knowledge.
- Master of Business Administration (MBA) and/or Certified Association Executive (CAE).
We value our employees’ time and efforts and we work to maintain the best possible environment, where people can learn and grow with the company. We also strive to provide a collaborative, creative atmosphere so that each person feels encouraged to contribute to our processes, decisions, planning and culture. Our commitment to your success is enhanced by a competitive salary and an extensive benefits package that includes the following:
- Flexible work schedule
- 401K plan
- Medical, dental and vision benefits
- Vacation, Sick and Floating Holidays
- Future growth opportunities and much more!