Option 2: Create a New Profile
Chief Technology Officer
- Job Title
- Chief Technology Officer
- Position ID
- The Woodlands, TX 77380
- Other Location
Job Description Summary
MP2 was acquired in September 2017 and is an important part of the Shell strategy of thriving in the energy transition by providing more and cleaner energy solutions that go beyond traditional renewables. The Shell Energy Purpose is to guide our customers to a better energy future and our ambition is to serve millions of customers in the Americas with full Energy solution offers for their home, their business and on the go.
The MP2 CIO / CTO role is accountable for the technology solutions for our customers and staff employed and contracted by MP2. MP2 is undergoing a significant transformation program to ensure that it’s People, Processes and Platforms are capable of supporting the strategic ambition of scaling the business. This role is an integrated part of the MP2 Executive Leadership team. Finally, this role is accountable for ensuring that the platform capabilities can be used in other markets where MP2 seeks to expand its retail business.
The role of the CIO /CTO is to develop MP2’s technology strategy and implement that plan on time, on budget, and delivering on agreed upon results. They also identify short and long term technology needs of the business as well as lead & energize multi-faceted technical groups to transform existing IT, Systems & People Processes whilst creating a collaborative customer centric culture. As such Lead the organization to transform our business processes, design & deliver technical customer facing solutions, which optimize the digital journey and introduce new digital business models supported by excellent data methodology, systems & processes. Role model and harness organizational culture and behaviors, to increase productivity and performance, whilst growing organizational capability.
Job Duties and Responsibilities:
The CIO / CTO will report to the MP2 CEO and will be responsible for all aspects of technology strategy, development, operations, governance and procurement and will lead a team of ~30 in-house IT staff & external 3rd party providers. This role will shape the MP2 Technology Group to best support the business activities. The Technology Group expectations are:
- Enterprise Architecture: develop/shape the overall infrastructure design to ensure all products and platforms remain architecturally aligned and supported with appropriate roadmaps and budgets that support the business strategy.
- Core Platforms: The core platform consists of SaaS, PaaS and in-house built applications to support the full retail prospect to cash and customer support workflows. Will support these applications with clear product management and alignment with global retail teams and technology direction.
- Data and Insights: development of data governance design and management to support operational reporting for the entire business. Leveraging Shell New Energies data platform, data products and applications that allow the business to use data to work smarter.
- Technical Operations: providing desktop, network, and systems comprised of in house and cloud computing assets. Supporting up to 200 staff.
- Information Security and Data Privacy: provide governance and risk management capability that support internal audit and formal external audits (i.e. SOX compliance for Financial Statement audits). Provide expertise for all Data Privacy matters and Cyber security aspects, working closely with the Shell’s Cyber Security Operations, Data Privacy and Information Risk Management teams.
- Contract and Procurement: coordinate all contract and procurement services for MP2 with MP2 General Counsel. The team are accountable for all contract negotiations working in partnership with the relevant business / contract owners. In this capacity the team work closely with the Shell’s IT Procurement team to ensure that we maximise contract value by leveraging Shell’s Master Service Agreement where applicable.
As such, this role will require candidates with sufficient technical, operational and commercial breadth to deliver a strategic technical vision alongside a robust, secure and cost-effective delivery platform and operational model.
- Shape & lead the Transformation agenda and help to increase our delivery velocity.
- To lead the integration of MP2 into the Shell IT Network and adherence to the 53 IT Controls.
- To help scale and replicate our technology systems and capabilities to support our current MP2 business and future markets.
- Establish the company’s technical vision, aligned with the Shell global retail vision, and lead all aspects of technological development.
- Ensure that MP2 has an IT Strategy and detailed road maps that align to the firm's strategy, and wider Shell retail standards to the extent possible.
- Works in a consultative fashion with other executive directorates ensuring that technology or lack of it does not hinder the development of the business.Ensure alignment with Shell/New Energies global retail IT leadership.
- Provide executive leadership to all departmental directors and heads in a fashion that supports the company’s culture, mission and values.
- Create an environment and culture that attracts top talent and promotes teamwork internally and externally, whilst breaking down silos enabling greater collaboration.
- Analyze emerging industry and market trends in the field of software engineering and world-class online systems and determine potential impact upon the enterprise.
- Review and manage capital development investments and operational costs in close collaboration with the CFO.
- Introduce, incorporate and champion new and innovative technologies and capabilities that can reduce cost or increase value of product delivery
- Provide oversight on ensuring security and compliance risks are mitigated, tracked and addressed in a timely manner.
- Role model leadership behaviors, internally and externally, whilst demonstrating a one team approach.
- Monitor KPIs and IT budgets to assess technology performance
- Bachelor’s degree required, a focus in Computer Science, Engineering, or Information Systems preferred.MBA or other advanced degree a plus
- A strong software engineering leader with an architecturally-minded approach; ideally with commercial product delivery experience
- Experience of system integration, microservices architectures and use of cloud infrastructures.
- Ability to join technology to markets through product development
- Exposure to data functions and automation in engineering
- Understanding of various business systems within the energy space:Pricing, Risk, Customer Operations, Billing, Contracting
- Experience of leading a technology function within a consumer market will be a distinct advantage
- Experience in both B2B and B2C within a pure play technology or software company
- Retail Energy experience preferred
- Proven record of delivering projects on time and within budget
- Must be an expert coach, who supports the growth of capabilities across the organization, whilst harnessing a collaborative culture.
- Must be able to provide leadership to the Business Technology Group leadership team so that they are able to create an integrated technology roadmap.
- Experience of building, leading, and scaling engineering and development teams. Ideally with exposure to various structures including in-house, near-shore, and outsourcing.
- Must be a strong people manager with experience of developing individuals and maintaining best practice in engineering. Have the modernity and leadership style to create a product and engineering environment that attracts and retains the best talent
- Able to operate at a commercial level within the Executive and represent the firm to the Board and with corporate stakeholders
- Can articulate technology vision and delivery strategy in a language that enables discussion with technical and non-technical audiences. Excellent communicator and issue resolver.
Benefits of Working with MP2 Energy:
- Competitive Compensation
- Health Care - Medical/Dental/Vision/Prescription Drug Coverage
- 401(k) with Company Matching Contributions
- Flexible Spending Accounts (FSA)
- Health Savings Accounts (HSA)
- Disability Programs (STD & LTD)
- Employee Basic Term Life Insurance
- Vacation & Company Holidays
- Tuition Reimbursement
*Job descriptions are not intended as, nor should be construed to be, exhaustive lists of all responsibilities, skills, efforts, or working conditions associated with a job. They are intended to be accurate reflections of those principal job duties and responsibilities essential for making fair pay decisions about the job.
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, sex, color, religion, national origin, protected veteran status, or on the basis of disability.