Accounts Payable Specialist/Staff Accountant
- Job Title
- Accounts Payable Specialist/Staff Accountant
- Job ID
- Port Jefferson, NY
- Other Location
For over 30 years, OccuNomix has been a privately held company in the public safety industry with a specialty in safety apparel and workwear. We are a leading designer and manufacturer of personal protective equipment (PPE) and help keep workers safe and comfortable in the workplace.
Every day, the OccuNomix team exhibits our core values of teamwork, customer focus, high performance, integrity, and ownership mentality. We are growing and seeking dynamic and talented individuals to help shape our future. If you are interested in making a difference in people’s lives and working in an energetic and fast-paced environment, OccuNomix is the place for you.
Accounts Payable Specialist / Staff Accountant
You have integrity and hold yourself to the highest ethical standards. You have a reputation for excellence and your attention to detail is impeccable. For you, no task is too small or too big, you can do it all. If this sounds like you, we would like to talk to you.
As the Accounts Payable Specialist/Staff Accountant, you will be responsible for all the activities and operations in the accounts payable function for the organization such as analyzing invoices and expense reports for accuracy and eligibility for payment, ensuring timely payments of vendor invoices and expense vouchers per negotiated terms and internal procedures, and maintaining accurate financial records and control reports. We’ll expect you to possess a great attention to detail and be able to interact professionally with external vendors and various internal departments. You will also contribute to the development of processes and procedures for tighter cash control. Strong communication skills, an amiable personality, and be comfortable in a fast-paced environment are essential to your success.
- Ensure that all payments are sent on time and are made in accordance with company policy
- Prepare and post payments to vendors (weekly check runs, initiate wires and ACH payments) and post to the correct general ledger accounts
- Efficiently address all vendor inquiries via email and phone including investigating and resolving discrepancies
- Manage AP monthly general ledger close process to ensure proper cut-off for accurate financial statement reporting
- Monitor all vendor payment agreements to find discounts that can be used to reduce invoice amounts
- Keep track of credits owed to the company and ensure all credits are properly applied to vendor payments
- Ensure IRS Form 1099 is prepared for all appropriate vendors at year-end
- Review new contracts from legal and procurement for correct accounting treatment and potential accruals
- Prepare and reconcile monthly corporate card reports in expense management system
- Review employee expense reports and ensure they comply with the company's travel and entertainment policy
- Answer all expense reimbursement and travel related questions from employees
- Prepare and gain approval for monthly sales commission calculations and issue timely payment
- Perform bank reconciliations and assist with banking reports
- Develop, maintain and analyze budgets, preparing periodic reports that compare budgeted costs to actual costs, forecast and plan for future business needs
- Assist department staff in maintaining and reporting daily cash positions
- Preparing journal entries, analyses and account reconciliations
- Assist in the monthly close processes, propose and implement process improvements to increase efficiency and accuracy of department
- Assist with audits, tax reporting and accounting related/ad-hoc projects as necessary
- Exhibit outstanding work ethic, a self-starter that takes initiative
- Proficient in Microsoft Office with an expert working knowledge of MS Excel
- Knowledge of finance, accounting, and Generally Accepted Accounting Principles (GAAP)
- Strong communication and interpersonal skills, both written and oral; capable of interacting with all levels of the organization and representing the company in a professional manner
- Strong analytical, quantitative and critical thinking
- Strong organizational skills and attention to detail while exhibiting uncompromising ability to meet deadlines
- Ability to adapt rapidly to changing priorities – flexibility, teamwork, collaborative work style and a positive attitude
- Team oriented while also able to work well independently
- Bachelor’s degree in Accounting or Finance from an accredited institution preferred
- 3-5 years of accounting experience in a manufacturing organization with previous experience as an Accountant or Junior Accountant
- Proficiency with accounting software and experience with a software system implementation a plus, knowledge of Oracle, Sage or Macola accounting software desired
We value our employees’ time and efforts. Our commitment to your success is enhanced by our competitive compensation and an extensive benefits package including paid time off, medical, dental and vision benefits and future growth opportunities within the company. Plus, we work to maintain the best possible environment for our employees, where people can learn and grow with the company. We strive to provide a collaborative, creative environment where each person feels encouraged to contribute to our processes, decisions, planning and culture.
To respond to this opportunity, please go to:
We are an equal opportunity employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.