Option 1: Create a New Profile
- Job Title
- Research Analyst
- Job ID
- HOUSTON, TX 77010
- Other Location
ABOUT THE PARTNERSHIP
The Partnership is an organization for community-minded business leaders who want to be involved in Houston's positive growth and influence our economic trajectory. Through the dedicated efforts of our members, the Partnership addresses Houston's unique challenges, and champions the growth and success of our region.
Since 1840, the Greater Houston Partnership has strived to make the region the best place to live, work and build a business. We serve over 1,100 member companies in the 11-county Houston region
The Research Analyst reports to the Sr. Vice President, Research and Chief Economist and is responsible for supporting the Partnership’s mission primarily by gathering and analyzing economic, demographic and social data; conducting various research studies; incorporating analysis into Partnership publications, press releases, web pages and speeches; and responding to requests for information.
Primary Duties and Responsibilities
The following responsibilities are essential to job performance:
- Monitoring local, regional, national and international economic, demographic and policy trends.
- Supporting the work of Public Policy in developing positions to be advocated by the Partnership
- Supporting the work of Economic Development in attracting jobs and investment to the region.
- Supporting the work of Member Engagement in acquiring new members and retaining existing members
- Devising and evaluating methods and procedures for collecting data, such as surveys, opinion polls, or questionnaires, or arranging to obtain data from existing sources.
- Maintaining extensive spreadsheets and libraries of economic and demographic data.
- Applying mathematical models and statistical techniques to social, demographic and economic data.
- Studying industry trends and drivers key to the local economy
- Providing analysis and interpretation of Houston-specific and general industry trends
- Preparing reports of findings, illustrating data graphically, and translating complex findings into written text.
- Developing new methods, processes and publications for disseminating economic findings
- Conducting fiscal and economic impact studies for corporate relocations and major special events
- Conducting analysis of local, state and national policy issues
- Developing subject matter expertise in area’s relevant to the Partnership’s policy agenda
- Establishing strong relationships with peer-level economists, demographers and policy analysts at the national, state and local levels.
- Participating on an as-needed basis in meetings of public policy, member engagement and economic development committees
- Representing the organization at various community and business meetings.
- Updating fact sheets for posting to the web, preparing proposals and answering generic information queries.
- Coordinating and participating in the collection of data for the C2ER Cost of Living Index, Houston Facts, Houston Economic Highlights. and the Partnership’s company database.
- Preparing reports, proposals for relocation prospects, including developing city-to-city comparisons of key economic and demographic indicators—population, workforce, infrastructure, business costs, etc.
- Briefing staff and clients on the region’s economy.
- Developing background papers for Partnership executives to use when dealing with the media, members, governmental officials, investors, etc.
- Creating maps using a Geographic Information System
- Fact checking publications, speeches, press releases and web pages in area of expertise.
- Reviewing and editing web content in area of expertise.
- Providing administrative project support to the team and maintaining administrative duties including ordering supplies, processing invoices and subscriptions, meeting preparation, etc.
- Other duties as assigned.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
The following knowledge, skills and abilities are desirable for job success:
- Experience in market analysis, proposal writing, database management and information development required. Digital analytics a plus.
- Familiarity of local business issues (workforce trends, environmental quality, real estate development, regional mobility, transportation infrastructure, etc.) required.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills required.
- Demonstrated aptitude for statistical and detail-oriented work
- Demonstrated ability and maturity to manage projects and work with people at all levels, both internally and externally.
- A professional appearance.
- Demonstrated ability to work well under pressure and deadlines, with minimal supervision.
- Flexibility to work some overtime, as necessary.
Behavioral Competencies- Attributes, Behaviors, and Characteristics (ABC's)
The following behavior competencies include a myriad of defining qualifications, skills, and competencies required for job success:
Executes with excellence- Consistently delivers on promises to the highest standards; Appreciates and demands quality; Goes the extra mile.
Accountable- Willing to be judged; takes ownership; Makes decisions; overcomes obstacles; Takes initiative and finishes a job at a high-level of excellence.
Planning & Organization- Integrates changes smoothly, plans for additional resources, prioritizes and plans work activities, sets goals and objectives, uses time efficiently, works in an organized manner.
Judgement Displays willingness to make decisions; Exhibits sound and accurate judgment; Includes appropriate people in decision making process; Makes timely decisions; Supports and explains reasoning for decisions
College degree required, with a preference for degrees in Real Estate, Business, Marketing or Economics.
Minimum of five (5) years professional experience, with increasing responsibilities, in real estate, marketing, business research, business journalism or similar environment preferred
- Good vision and hearing acuity (with adaptive aids if necessary).
- Manual dexterity and skillful use of computer keyboard.
- Physical exertion includes bending, pushing, standing, and walking. Must be able to move or lift approximately 25 pounds on occasion.
Mental and Aptitude Requirements
- Job requires the ability to hear, see, and talk; analytical, conceptual, problem-solving, planning and decision-making skills.
Adhere to all office safety policies and procedures.
The Greater Houston Partnership is an Equal Opportunity Employer. Applicants and employees are treated without regard to such factors as race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability, veteran status, or any other reason prohibited by law.