A LEADING PROVIDER OF
TECHNICAL WORKFORCE SOLUTIONS
SBA 8(a) | Woman-owned Small Business
Senior Software Design Engineer
- Job Title
- Senior Software Design Engineer
- Job ID
- Herndon, VA 20171
- Other Location
Senior Software Design Engineer
Active Top Secret Clearance Required (SCI Eligible)
@Orchard LLC has been retained by one of the most important technology companies you’ve never heard of. They are responsible for the underlying networks supporting many of the innovations that wow us (driverless cars), and those we now take for granted (the ability to mobile-stream your favorite show), as well as critical infrastructure that keeps us safe and serves critical missions. For more than 25 years, our client has been the global leader in networking strategy, and their technology has been part of the critical infrastructure running within the most advanced companies and government institutions in the world.
Our client is seeking an experienced Software Engineer in support of the critical infrastructure behind mission-critical and highly sensitive government systems. This position is a high-visibility technical role, providing insight and support for automating operations across customer-specific networks leveraging the Blue Planet orchestration suite. Blue Planet is based on a modern software architecture that leverages open-source technologies, model-driven templates, and container-based micro-services. Blue Planet facilitates the evolution toward more efficient, modernized network operations and software-defined programmability to accelerate the delivery of on-demand services and enable a path to increased network autonomy.
The Software Engineer will be required to design and implement SDN/NFV solutions to enable flexible, programmable, dynamic, and adaptable networks employing a wide range of platforms to include proprietary customer systems. This is a full-time salaried position with our client, requiring strong knowledge and personal experience with network design, automation, and security who can provide guidance as the customer migrates to a Software-Defined Networking architecture.
As a Software Engineer in this role you will;
- Conduct design and information gathering workshops with the customer to understand the existing network design and operational requirements.
- Integrate various open-source technologies and third-party solutions into the customer’s networks through Blue Planet MDSO and NFVO.
- Support approaches to integrate new virtualization and automation solutions that address the customer’s immediate and future needs.
- Create, review, validate, and publish the required customer reports.
- Contribute to customer support knowledge-base.
- Provide on-call support evenings and weekends for critical events as required.
- Deliver both formal and informal customer training.
- Work closely with solution teams and internal developers to support to deliver complete solutions to the customer.
- Develop new software micro-services, libraries, and features that form the platform supporting service orchestration.
- Extend and create SDKs used by developers to author resource adapters, service templates, and life-cycle plans in support of customer operational requirements.
- Participate with peers to resolve critical client multi-technology network issues and provide creative recommendations to highly complex network issues.
- Participate in all phases of the development cycle for customer-specific solutions – plan, design, implement, review, test, deploy, document, and training.
Your career to date will include:
- Writing and troubleshooting programs in multiple languages (JSON, C, C++, etc.)
- Scripting in multiple languages (Python, Perl, etc.)
- Excellent customer service interaction skills especially in stressful situations.
- Working with multiple software technologies: Microservices, AWS, Docker, Kafka, Kubernetes, Cassandra, Java 11, ReactJS, Spring Boot/Cloud/Data, Redis, Postgres
- Leveraging multiple software tools: Maven, Node, Git, Sonar, Eclipse, IntelliJ, Atlassian Jira (Bitbucket, Confluence, Bamboo, Crucible).
- Understanding of networking functionality to include L2/L3 switching and routing.
- Familiarity with Software-Defined Networking and Network Function Virtualization.
Education & Experience Level:
- BS/MS degree in Computer Science/Electrical Engineering or equivalent
- 5 - 10 years in software development role (2+ years specific to networking)
Established in 2010, @Orchard LLC, also known as, Talent Orchard has an exceptional reputation, providing staffing solutions to time-sensitive, talent scarcity issues to deliver better talent management ROI. Our specialty lies in the critical area of program talent acquisition and resource management, not in one narrow skillset, but across many areas of technical and functional delivery. To learn more about our other exciting opportunities, visit our Jobs Page at www.atOrchard.com.