Option 1: Create a New Profile
Sr. Director, Global Life Sciences
- Job Title
- Sr. Director, Global Life Sciences
- Job ID
- HOUSTON, TX 77002
- Other Location
Who We Are
The Partnership is a place for community-minded business leaders who want to be involved in Houston’s positive growth and influence the direction in which Houston is going. Through the dedicated efforts of our members, the Partnership addresses Houston’s unique challenges, and champions the growth and success of our region.
Since 1840, the Greater Houston Partnership has strived to make the region the best place to live, work and build a business. We serve over 1,100 member companies in the 11-county Houston region including Austin, Brazoria, Chambers, Fort Bend, Galveston, Harris, Liberty, Montgomery, San Jacinto, Walker and Waller counties.
Join us as we work together to make Houston greater.
Who We Are Looking For Today
The Partnership is looking for a results-driven, collaborative, events and meeting professional.
What You Will Do
Reporting to the Senior Vice President, Economic Development. The primary role and responsibility of the Sr. Director, Global Life Sciences, is to act as a subject matter expert in economic development for the purpose of marketing/promoting the Greater Houston region as a business location for start-ups, expanding, and relocating businesses for the purpose of fostering job creation and regional economic growth. The Sr. Director supports our mission to make Houston one of the world’s best places to live, work, and build a business.
The Sr. Director for Economic Development will lead, plan, organize, manage, coordinate, and implement programs and projects that support the attraction, relocation, expansion, and retention of domestic and international businesses. The Sr. Director will also provide support to the Regional Economic Development and International Investment and Trade Vice Presidents of the Economic Development Division, in attaining all of the departmental goals and objectives.
Primary Duties and Responsibilities
The following responsibilities are essential to job performance:
Specialize in one or more of the industry cluster targets (energy, life sciences, aerospace, advanced manufacturing, headquarters & business services, transportation & logistics, and advanced technologies). Demonstrate proficiency as a subject matter expert in assigned industry sectors/clusters. Serve as project Sr. Director throughout project processes.
- Under the guidance of the SVP Economic Development, execute the Houston Next, economic development departmental strategy, especially in relation to the goals and objectives surrounding the growth and development of the Global Life Sciences industry in the greater Houston region;
- Represent the Greater Houston Partnership in the dialogue of industry development related to the Life Science sector within the parameters outlined by the SVP of Economic Development;
- Work collaboratively with the International Investment and Trade Team and the Regional Economic Development Team to identify, target and recruit new corporate opportunities in the Global Life Sciences sector to the Greater Houston region;
- Work collaboratively with the International Investment and Trade Team and the Regional Economic Development Team to retain and grow jobs and capital investment opportunities in the Life Sciences sector in the Greater Houston region;
- Work collaboratively with regional organizations/partners to further enhance the regional competitiveness of the Life Sciences sector as well as the startup ecosystem in the Greater Houston region;
- Work collaboratively with the Research, Marcom, Workforce and Public Policy teams of the Greater Houston Partnership, to identify areas of importance to enhance the regional competitiveness of the Life Sciences sector in the greater Houston region;
- Explore and develop new tools to better highlight and illustrate the Life Sciences industry in the Greater Houston region;
- Work collaboratively with GHP Marcom team to develop and execute marketing strategies for the Life Sciences industry for the Greater Houston region;
- Work collaboratively with GHP Public Policy team to identify and advocate for effective Public Policy issues to strengthen the growth and development of the Life Sciences industry sector in the Greater Houston region;
- Coordinate any task force and/or committees organized through the Economic Development division designed to provide economic development focus around the growth of the Life Sciences sectors in Greater Houston, as well as initiatives emanating from the same.
- Participate in the maintenance of the regional ally network, including giving speeches and presentations and providing other support to accomplish Economic Development goals and market ing of the Houston region.
- Team with International Investment & Trade team on international leads, projects, trade shows, briefings to international delegations, etc.
- Work with global and regional Sr. Directors on proactive project/prospect identification and outreach;
- Plan, coordinate and deliver assistance, information and services to assigned leads and prospects. Services and information include, but are not limited to, the following: marketing and community information, custom proposals, sites and facilities, special incentives, permitting, workforce development, briefings/orientation, site visits, VIP introductions, regional ally support/referral, press releases, ground breaking/open houses, and other assistance necessary to recruit and retain companies.
- Represent Economic Development and Greater Houston Partnership at assigned special functions, seminars, trade shows/exhibitions, business development meetings, missions, etc.
- Assist the SVP Regional Economic Development with business plans, reporting, presentations, and budgeting for assigned target industries and clusters.
- Special duties and assignments put forth by the SVP, Economic Development, that pertain to the sector of Global Life Sciences.
General Department Responsibilities
- Utilize CRM System to manage a portfolio of leads (within a cluster or target industry focus).
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
The following knowledge, skills and abilities are desirable for job success:
- Demonstrated familiarity with one or more key areas of prospect advocacy (e.g. real estate incentives, finance, workforce)
- Experience working in CRM systems such as Salesforce
- Ability to analyze data, produce and summarize reports
- Strong organizational, written and interpersonal communications skills (must be comfortable developing presentations and presenting to and/or interacting with leads/prospects).
- Demonstrated ability to work well in fast-paced, deadline-oriented environment with minimal supervision.
- Strong consultative skills
- Preference for working with internal and external contacts at all levels.
- Preference for detail work.
- Ability to prioritize simultaneous assignments.
- Ability to work in a team environment.
- Professional appearance.
- Proficient in Microsoft Windows, Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Outlook, Project, and other software programs.
- Flexibility to work travel domestically as well as work some overtime, as necessary (travel 4-8 trips per year).
Behavioral Competencies- Attributes, Behaviors, and Characteristics (ABC’s)
- Achievement Focus- Demonstrates persistence and overcomes obstacles, measures self against standard of excellence, recognizes and acts on opportunities, sets and achieves challenging goals, takes calculated risks to accomplish goals
- Exceptional Communications- Communicates effectively and persuasively, both verbally and in writing; Can write prose with proper grammar and syntax; Listens actively; builds trust; uses the appropriate media for the situation; Knows what and when to communicate to a particular audience.
- Teamwork- Balances team and individual responsibilities, contributes to building a positive team spirit, exhibits objectivity and openness to others' views, gives and welcomes feedback
- Accountable- Willing to be judged; takes ownership; Makes decisions; overcomes obstacles; Takes initiative and finishes a job at a high-level of excellence.
- Executes with Excellence- Consistently delivers on promises to the highest standards; Appreciates and demands quality; Goes the extra mile.
Prior economic development training or extensive business development/relevant sales and/or real estate experience;
One to three years experience in the life science industry working in the business development, industry engagement or related area of work.
- Good vision and hearing acuity (with adaptive aids if necessary).
- Manual dexterity and skillful use of computer keyboard.
- Physical exertion includes bending, pushing, standing, and walking. Must be able to move or lift approximately 25 pounds on occasion.
Mental and Aptitude Requirements
- Job requires the ability to hear, see, and talk; analytical, conceptual, problem-solving, planning and decision making skills.
We value our employees’ time and efforts. Our commitment to your success is enhanced by our competitive compensation commensurate with experience. We also offer an extensive benefits package including paid garage parking, generous paid time off, medical, dental and vision benefits, and future growth opportunities within the company. Plus, we work to maintain the best possible environment for our employees where people can learn and grow with the company. We strive to provide a collaborative, creative environment where each person feels encouraged to contribute to our processes, decisions, planning and culture.
Meet the Qualifications? Who Should Apply?
If you are passionate about Houston and seek to be on a team committed to addressing Houston’s skills gap, communicating to raise awareness of career and professional opportunities in Houston’s thriving industries, and increasing collaboration of organizations that support workforce development efforts, then apply by uploading your cover letter and resume to: https://j.brt.mv/ATS/jb.do?reqGK=27384307
The Greater Houston Partnership is Equal Opportunity Employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.