A LEADING PROVIDER OF
TECHNICAL WORKFORCE SOLUTIONS
SBA 8(a) | Woman-owned Small Business
- Job Title
- Network Architect
- Job ID
- Baltimore, MD
- Other Location
Consulting Engineer – Network Architect
Baltimore, Maryland / Remote
Active Secret Clearance with the ability to obtain a Top Secret (preferred to have already) with Full Scope or CI Polygraph Required
@Orchard LLC has been retained by one of the most important technology companies you’ve never heard of. They are responsible for the underlying networks supporting many of the innovations that wow us (driverless cars), and those we now take for granted (the ability to mobile-stream your favorite show), as well as critical infrastructure that keeps us safe and serves critical missions. For more than 25 years, our client has been the global leader in networking strategy, and their technology has been part of the critical infrastructure running within the most advanced companies and government institutions in the world.
This position is a highly technical role, providing post-sales support for customer-specific network architecture design. The Consultant Engineer will be required to develop and maintain expertise on the products deployed within the customers’ network and related platform certification processes. This is a full-time position requiring strong knowledge and experience with Network Architecture and Transport Protocols. A secret security clearance is required. A Top Secret clearance is desired. The candidate may be required to obtain a full scope or CI poly at some point.
Critical Tasks and Responsibilities
- Hold design and information gathering workshops with the customer to understand the customer's existing network design and technical requirements.
- Understand the customer's organizational structure and become familiar with the customer's network implementation and support processes and procedures.
- Use of network design tools (e.g. Ciena OnePlanner, Ciena MPBP, etc.)
- Ability to interface with carrier partners
- Work with Quality Assurance, Development, Product Management, Technical Publications, and Training to provide customer feedback.
- Create, review, validate and publish required customer required reports
- Contribute to customer support knowledgebase.
- Travel to other customer sites with short notice.
- May also be engaged in customer training.
- Participate with peers to co-resolve critical client Multi-technology network issues and provide creative recommendations to highly complex network issues.
- Must follow Global Technical Support processes as outlined and provided.
- Provide on-call support evenings and weekends for critical events.
- Establish and maintain a strong technical support relationship with assigned clients.
- Participate with peers to co-resolve critical client multi-technology network issues and provide creative recommendations to highly complex network issues.
- Verify and report design, reliability and maintenance problems or defects to the engineering teams and communicate with engineering and manufacturing on problems found in the field.
- Act as a technical consultant to other Technical Support functions and others in the company.
- Act as a technical escalation path for regional support groups and peer engineers, if required.
- Excellent understanding of SONET/SDH, ATM, GbE, ADM, TL1 commands, and other Switching/transport concepts is required.
- Experience with Ciena 6500 product line
- General understanding of transport and switching systems for telecommunications applications
- Familiar with the use of various optical and Ethernet technologies test equipment.
- Demonstrates exceptional technical skills proficiency that is rated outstanding with relations to the product supported.
- Good knowledge and experience with Network Management software and a general understanding of the fiber optic transport and switching protocols are desired.
- Ability to diagnose, troubleshoot and debug complex system-level issues.
- Excellent customer service interaction skills especially in stressful situations.
- Excellent organizational, interpersonal skills and problem-solving skills.
- Experience in providing technical support; preferably through an equipment vendor in the Telco equipment industry.
- Expert in defining problems down to design level and translating back to Development Engineering.
- B.S. in Electrical Engineering, Optical Engineering, Computer Science or related field/discipline.
- 8 plus years of directly related experience or an equivalent combination of education, training and/or
Established in 2010, @Orchard LLC, also known as, Talent Orchard has an exceptional reputation, providing staffing solutions to time-sensitive, talent scarcity issues to deliver better talent management ROI. Our specialty lies in the critical area of program talent acquisition and resource management, not in one narrow skillset, but across many areas of technical and functional delivery. To learn more about our other exciting opportunities, visit our Jobs Page at www.atOrchard.com.