Option 1: Create a New Profile
Manager, Economic Development
- Job Title
- Manager, Economic Development
- Job ID
- HOUSTON, TX 77010
- Other Location
WHO WE ARE
The Partnership is a place for community-minded business leaders who want to be involved in Houston’s positive growth and influence the direction in which Houston is going. Through the dedicated efforts of our members, the Partnership addresses Houston’s unique challenges, and champions the growth and success of our region.
Since 1840, the Greater Houston Partnership has strived to make the region the best place to live, work and build a business. We serve over 1,100 member companies in the 11-county Houston region including Austin, Brazoria, Chambers, Fort Bend, Galveston, Harris, Liberty, Montgomery, San Jacinto, Walker and Waller counties.
Join us as we work together to make Houston greater.
WHO WE ARE LOOKING FOR TODAY
The Partnership is looking for a results driven, collaborative, economic development professional to manage and implement programs and projects that support the attraction, relocation, expansion, and retention of domestic and international businesses; The manager will support the VP of Regional Economic Development and the department in attaining all of its goals and objectives with specific responsibility on Business Attraction.
WHAT YOU WILL DO
Reporting to the Vice President, Economic Development, the manager The primary role and responsibility of the manager is to market the Houston region as a business magnet to expanding and relocating businesses to foster job creation and economic growth. The Manager supports our mission to make Houston one of the world’s best places to live, work, and build a business.
The following responsibilities are essential to job performance:
Primary Duties and Responsibilities
- Develop and direct various business attraction programs which focus the regional economic development efforts on the creation of new primary jobs and new investments in the various industry clusters.
- Utilize CRM System to manage a portfolio of leads (within a cluster or target industry focus).
- Work with Marketing and Research to prepare messages and identify opportunities; and conduct proactive reach-outs.
- Plan, coordinate and deliver assistance, information and services to assigned leads and prospects. Services and information include, but are not limited to, the following: marketing and community information, custom proposals, sites and facilities, special incentives, permitting, workforce development, briefings/orientation, site visits, VIP introductions, regional ally support/referral, press releases, ground breaking/open houses, and other assistance necessary to recruit and retain companies.
- Obtain and maintain knowledge of assigned target industries, industry trends and influencers, expansion/relocation factors and local companies in the target industries.
- Demonstrate expert knowledge about the industries and communities of the 11-county region served by the Partnership.
- Track a direct-contact campaign for targeted industries.
- Manage and shape agenda of the assigned council(s); support target industry working groups.
- Represent Economic Development and Greater Houston Partnership at assigned special functions, seminars, trade shows/exhibitions, business development meetings, missions, etc.
- Maintain regional ally network, give speeches and presentations and provide other support to accomplish Economic Development goals and market the Houston region.
- Team with International Investment & Trade team on domestic/international leads, projects, trade shows, briefings to international delegations, etc.
- Works with sites/special projects manager and on site selection projects infrastructure assessments, (proposal assessments as well as field evaluations) labor evaluations and tax abatement and other incentive assessments for expansion and relocation projects.
- Assist the VP Regional Economic Development with business plans, reporting, presentations, and budgeting for assigned target industries and clusters.
- Assist the VP Regional Economic Development by coordinating with or supporting other departments on special projects related to research, public policy, marketing, etc.
- Other duties as assigned.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
The following knowledge, skills and abilities are desirable for job success:
- Demonstrated familiarity with one or more key areas of prospect advocacy (e.g. real estate incentives, finance, workforce)
- Experience working in CRM systems such as Salesforce
- Ability to analyze data, produce and summarize reports
- Strong organizational, written and interpersonal communications skills (must be comfortable developing presentations and presenting to and/or interacting with leads/prospects).
- Demonstrated ability to work well in fast-paced, deadline-oriented environment with minimal supervision.
- Strong consultative skills
- Preference for working with internal and external contacts at all levels.
- Preference for detail work.
- Ability to prioritize simultaneous assignments.
- Ability to work in a team environment.
- Professional appearance.
- Proficient in Microsoft Windows, Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Outlook, Project, and other software programs.
- Flexibility to work travel domestically as well as work some overtime, as necessary (travel 4-8 trips per year).
- Bilingual helpful.
Behavioral Competencies- Attributes, Behaviors, and Characteristics (ABC’s)
The following behavior competencies include a myriad of defining qualifications, skills, and competencies required for job success:
- Achievement Focus- Demonstrates persistence and overcomes obstacles, measures self against standard of excellence, recognizes and acts on opportunities, sets and achieves challenging goals, takes calculated risks to accomplish goals
- Exceptional Communications- Communicates effectively and persuasively, both verbally and in writing; Can write prose with proper grammar and syntax; Listens actively; builds trust; uses the appropriate media for the situation; Knows what and when to communicate to a particular audience.
- Teamwork- Balances team and individual responsibilities, contributes to building a positive team spirit, exhibits objectivity and openness to others' views, gives and welcomes feedback
- Accountable- Willing to be judged; takes ownership; Makes decisions; overcomes obstacles; Takes initiative and finishes a job at a high-level of excellence.
- Executes with Excellence- Consistently delivers on promises to the highest standards; Appreciates and demands quality; Goes the extra mile.
College degree required, with a preference for degrees in Real Estate, Business, Economics, City planning.
Prior economic development training; or extensive business development/relevant sales and/or real estate experience, with a minimum of 5 years’ experience in economic development, marketing corporate sales or related field
A person in this position must be able to work in both a stationary position and frequent movement in the office;
Some travel required
Mental and Aptitude Requirements
Ability to define problems, collect data, establish facts, and draw valid conclusions.
Adhere to all office safety policies and procedures.
The Greater Houston Partnership is an Equal Opportunity Employer.