Join our team and be part of a meaningful organization!
Our goal is to attract and retain a highly talented and qualified workforce who can meet the needs of the children, families and child care providers we serve. If you enjoy working in a healthy yet challenging and innovative work environment and are motivated by providing excellent services, we encourage you to apply for a position with Pathways LA.
Pathways LA believes in promoting health, balance and peace of mind among its employees so we provide medical, dental and vision benefits; generous retirement contributions; paid vacation, sick and holidays; employer-paid life, accident and long-term disability insurance; flexible spending accounts; an employee assistance program (EAP) and more.
PUBLIC POLICY MANAGER
- Job Title
- PUBLIC POLICY MANAGER
- Job ID
- Los Angeles, CA 90010
- Other Location
Pathways LA is one of the largest child care and early education resource for low income and vulnerable working families in metropolitan Los Angeles. Pathways LA gives back to the community. We pride ourselves in strengthening low-income and vulnerable working families, promoting high quality early care and education services for children of all abilities, developing knowledgeable early care providers, and promoting economically resilient communities.
If you are a talented professional with a passion for children and families, please consider applying for the following positions currently open:
Title: Public Policy Manager
Job Type: Full-time, 37.5 hours/week
Reports to: Executive Director
Salary: Competitive salary, commensurate with prior experience, education and abilities + Full Benefits (please see below for full details)
FLSA STATUS: Non-Exempt
Start Date: Immediately
The successful candidate will:
- Develop relationships with elected officials, district office staff, community stakeholders and partners.
- Be engaged in developing common messages, data presentations and communications, including use of social media platforms.
- Build strategic partnerships with Alliance member agencies in strengthening our organizational capacity for advocacy and public policy efforts
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- Participate and coordinate visits to legislators, elected officials and policy related activities.
- Advocate for policy and systems changes that improve access to quality, affordable early learning settings for children in Los Angeles County.
- Provide research, analysis, and draft responses to a range of policy issues that impact the families, children and child care providers served by Pathways LA.
- Develop communication strategies for Pathways LA.
- Coordinate Public Policy responses, strategies and communication with CCALA members and non CCALA members.
- Interface with Community Voices program at Crystal Stairs, Inc., to engage grass-roots advocacy activities with Alliance Policy goals.
- Participate in the Public Policy Committee of the CCALA Board of Directors.
- Travel as needed to Sacramento and possibly Washington DC to engage in advocacy activities or meet with Legislators and/or Legislative staff on key issues.
- Participate in funder-led learning meetings and evaluation activities.
- Represent Pathways LA in various event, community groups and/or commission meetings related to early childhood education (ECE), as needed.
- Other duties related to the scope of this contract, as assigned by the Executive Director.
- BA/BS degree in Political Science or related field required. Master’s Degree preferred.
- 3-5 years’ experience in public policy positions that demonstrate knowledge of the legislative process.
- 1-2 years’ experience working for a nonprofit organization highly preferred.
- Familiarity of Early Childhood Education field preferred.
- Experience and ability to work well with diverse client populations.
- Ability to nurture respectful relationships with community agencies and leaders, and families and other community stakeholders
- Experience working in groups and collaborations.
- Effective project management capabilities.
- Good problem solving skills.
- Detail oriented with high level of accuracy.
- Ability to multi-task, organize and prioritize information and assignments.
- Ability to exercise confidentiality, discretion and good judgement.
- Knowledge of evaluation processes used to measure program impact.
- Strong written and verbal communication skills.
- Ability to analyze and condense data and information into briefing papers.
- High proficiency in Microsoft Office (e.g. Word, Excel, Outlook, and Power Point).
- Must possess a valid California driver’s license, have use of a motor vehicle and automobile liability insurance.
- Applicants must be currently authorized to work in the United States for any employer. No sponsorships are available for these positions.
PHYSICAL DEMANDS: The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
COMPENSATION PACKAGE INCLUDES:
- 403b Retirement Contributions:
- 3% of salary contribution by Pathways for all employees (whether you contribute or not)
- 50% match by Pathways on employee contributions up to 3% of salary
- Life Insurance - paid by Pathways for all employees
- Accident Insurance - paid by Pathways for all employees
- Long Term Disability Insurance - paid by Pathways for all employees
- Flexible Spending Accounts (pre-tax accounts) available to all employees
- Medical Account
- Dependent Care Account
- Commuter Expenses
- PAID TIME OFF
- 10 days of vacation per year for the first 2 years of employment (increases)
- Sick Leave
- 10 Holidays per year
- Employee Assistance Program (EAP)
- Counseling Services
- Child and Elder Care Referrals
- Financial and Legal Advice
- Balancing Work and Life Issues
- Adoption Assistance Program
- ...and more
We are an EEO Employer