Option 1: Create a New Profile
Vice President International Investment & Trade
- Job Title
- Vice President International Investment & Trade
- Job ID
- HOUSTON, TX 77002
- Other Location
WHO WE ARE
The Partnership is a place for community-minded business leaders who want to be involved in Houston’s positive growth and influence the direction in which Houston is going. Through the dedicated efforts of our members, the Partnership addresses Houston’s unique challenges, and champions the growth and success of our region.
Since 1840, the Greater Houston Partnership has strived to make the region the best place to live, work and build a business. We serve over 1,100 member companies in the 11-county Houston region including Austin, Brazoria, Chambers, Fort Bend, Galveston, Harris, Liberty, Montgomery, San Jacinto, Walker and Waller counties.
Join us as we work together to make Houston greater.
WHO WE ARE LOOKING FOR TODAY
The Partnership is looking for an ambitious, results driven, community minded, experienced leader who will help develop the strategies and plans for the Partnership’s international economic development and trade efforts.
WHAT YOU WILL DO
Reporting to the Senior Vice President of Economic Development, the Vice President, IIT will execute strategies and programs to advance Houston’s position as a global trade and logistics hub, as well as facilitate initiatives that establish the Houston region as the leading gateway to global markets. Specifically, through the leadership and management of a team of seven professionals, the Vice President will work to increase exports, encourage trade development, and attract foreign direct investment to the Houston region.
In addition, the Vice President will lead protocol and manage international relationships for the Greater Houston Partnership, specifically regarding international officials, the Houston Consular Corp, and other entities and organizations involved in international opportunities relevant to the goals of the Greater Houston Partnership.
Primary Duties and Responsibilities
The following responsibilities are essential to job performance:
- Direct staff efforts in support of all Partnership’s International Investment & Trade programs and volunteer committees, including the International Investment & Trade Advisory Committee;
- Assist the SVP of Economic Development with the development of strategic international business plans for increasing foreign direct investment, Houston’s international visibility, trade development, and related services to member companies;
- Establish and maintain strategic external relationships with high-level international government and business development allies;
- Position GHP as the “go-to” organization in Houston for international business and global trade;
- Manage GHP’s participation in the Brookings Global Cities Initiative, World Trade Center initiative as well as other identified international organizations/opportunities to promote the international goals of the greater Houston region;
- Develop and maintain strategic external relationships with appropriate marketing allies, government officials and media representatives to publicize, advocate and promote foreign direct investment and trade;
- Develop, lead and manage international trade and investment missions to key markets under the direction of the SVP, Economic Development;
- Responsible for facilitating, overseeing and coordinating the activities of the GHP Mexico Energy Task Force; also responsible for developing a Mexico energy strategy and work plan for GHP, and helping facilitate business opportunities, supplier connections, and trade matches in Mexico for GHP members and Houston companies;
- Oversee development of policy items that will enhance the infrastructure of the international business community in the greater Houston region;
- Interface between department staff and SVP/CEDO on all strategic planning, program, budget and internal staffing issues;
- Oversee development of agenda items related to International Investment & Trade department activities for Board of Directors, Executive Committee, International Investment & Trade Advisory Committee as well as International Trade Development and Foreign Direct Investment Committees;
- Represent Economic Development Division and the Greater Houston Partnership at assigned special functions, deliver speeches when requested, and provide other support to accomplish the International Investment & Trade Department’s goals;
- Other duties as assigned.
- Effectively identify and develop talent, advancing high performers; Assist team members in their development as individuals and professionals;
- Partner with the SVP in relation to goals and direction of the department, and maintain budget parameters for the IIT team;
- Direct the activities of the team as described above, setting priorities and delegating responsibility to staff;
- In coordination with the SVP, Economic Development, set performance metrics that drive the team’s success;
- Deliver and participate in formal and informal performance reviews for direct reports and indirect reports;
- Work with confidential matters;
- Other duties as assigned.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
The following knowledge, skills and abilities are desirable for job success:
- Knowledge of the local and global economy: the private sector business community and government at local, state and federal levels;
- Excellent verbal, written, analytical, presentation and interpersonal skills;
- Proficient in Windows, Microsoft Word, Microsoft Excel, and other software programs;
- Preference for fast-paced, deadline-oriented environment with minimal supervision;
- Preference for working with internal and external contacts at all levels;
- Preference for detail work;
- Ability to prioritize simultaneous assignments;
- Ability to work in a team environment;
- Professional appearance;
- Flexibility to work extra hours, as necessary;
- Multilingual abilities helpful.
Behavioral Competencies- Attributes, Behaviors, and Characteristics (ABC’s)Leaders of People Competences:
Exceptional Communications - Communicates effectively and persuasively, both verbally and in writing. Can write prose with proper grammar and syntax; Listens actively; builds trust; uses the appropriate media for the situation; Knows what and when to communicate to a particular audience;
Strategic Thinking - Adapts strategy to changing conditions; Analyzes market and competition; Develops strategies to achieve organizational goals; Identifies external threats and opportunities; Understands organization's strengths & weaknesses;
Impact oriented - Mission driven and seeks to make a vital difference in the development and success of the greater Houston region;
Community minded - Appreciates and understands the needs and complexity of greater Houston; Has respect and understands the needs of the greater Houston region and its residents; Knows the key players and organizations; represents GHP well in the community at all times;
Business Savvy- Sophisticated; mature; understands business implications of issues and options; Understands motivations of members/stakeholders (businesses, organizations, and government entities); Consistently demonstrates subject-matter expertise at a high level;
Requires a background in business development, economic development, commercial real estate, marketing, corporate sales or other equivalent experience; with a minimum of seven years of progressively responsible experience in economic development. Certified Economic Developer (CEcD) preferred.
A person in this position must be able to work in both a stationary position and frequent movement in the office;
Mental and Aptitude Requirements
Ability to define problems, collect data, establish facts, and draw valid conclusions.
Adhere to office safety policies and procedures.
The Greater Houston Partnership is an Equal Opportunity Employer. Applicants and employees are treated without regard to such factors as race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability, veteran status, or any other reason prohibited by law.