BE A SPARK IN OUR INDUSTRY
JOIN THE METRONOME FAMILY
Every individual has unique passions, career goals, and personal values. We are here to make the connection between those and the needs of our customers. When the stars align, we welcome our new employees - or Pulsers as we like to call them - to the family. We offer competitive benefits to ensure that our Pulsers are well taken care of for whatever comes their way.
Enterprise Management Systems (EMS) Engineer
- Job Title
- Enterprise Management Systems (EMS) Engineer
- Requirement ID
- Springfield, VA
- Other Location
The Linux Engineer will design and define system architecture for new or existing computer systems. Team member will support Data Center Service in support of installation, administration, management, configuration, testing, and integration tasks related to Fault and Performance tools. The candidate must have the ability to work independently and as part of a small team of system engineers responsible for the care and feeding of a diverse IT infrastructure.
- Demonstrated hands-on experience and knowledge of Linux platform (i.e. RHEL, CentOS) including administration, management, and troubleshooting for physical and virtual platforms
- Demonstrated hands-on experience and understanding of proactive monitoring concepts, including experience configuring and deploying Network and systems monitoring (i.e. SNMP, Nagios, Splunk, SolarWinds, etc.)
- Demonstrated experience performing trend analysis on overall system health, performance, and capacity management with regard to utilization and growth
- Demonstrated ability to develop and maintain capacity metric
- Perform software upgrades, patch installs, firmware upgrades then test for functionality on a periodic basis.
- Demonstrated proficiency with the following infrastructure principles: Fault tolerance, High availability, Scalability and Capacity planning, Data center organization, Backup / Recovery
- Create shell and Perl scripts in various shells to automate daily and periodic tasks
- Maintain server configuration baselines and configuration compliance against baseline/benchmarks
- Collaborate with Application Teams to perform system maintenance and patch management tasks
- Document work for leadership, update/create Standard Operating Procedures, and brief staff and customers various tasks.
- Work with others engineers to establish and modify thresholds to better monitor systems
- Work with software and hardware vendors to resolve issues and share requirements
- Assume other duties/projects as they arise and be responsive to the needs of the department
- Required Skills
• Bachelor’s Degree in Computer Science, Engineering or a related technical discipline, or the equivalent combination of education, technical training, or work/military experience
• 8-10+ years of related systems engineering experience.
• 3-6+ years of experience with monitoring tools
• Experience with Linux systems in the areas of system administration troubleshooting, integration, shell scripting, and development
• Advanced scripting skills to include experience using Perl and Python
• Experience with Infrastructure as a Service (IaaS)
• Ability to partner with other systems administrators, storage administrators, application developers, and network engineers to solve complex problems
• Strong proficiency in enterprise networks including load balancers, routers, switches, TCP/IP, DNS, Local Area Networking, AD, GPO
Fault event rules development, performance threshold management
• Experience with tools in an enterprise environment
• Experience with event analysis
• Experience with one or more of security hardening, backup management, capacity planning, change management, or patch management.
• Advanced advanced proficiency with systems engineering principles, methods, and techniques.
• Proficient with the current industry hardware, software, and equipment.
• Must be able to support a large, complex server and network infrastructure
• Must possess a strong work ethic, be self-directed, and be a detail-oriented professional
• Must be willing to learn and adapt to new, cutting edge technologies
• Must be willing to document work and participate in customer change procedures
• Must possess excellent time management skills and the drive to work unsupervised
• Must be a team player; willing to both share knowledge and learn from others to ensure the team's success
• Professional certification in one or more relevant technologies.
• Must have current 8570 IAT II Level Certification (CNA-Security, GICSP, GSEC, Sec+ CE, SSCP) or higher.
Active US Government Security Clearance Required.
- Optional Skills
• Experience with BMC fault and performance management tools; including installation, configuration, and administration
• Experience with CA eHealth and/or other network performance tools
• Experience with any of the following: JIRA, Nagios, Python, Puppet, YUMRpo, Ansible Tower, and/or ILOM
• Familiarity of VMware ESX 6.0/6.5/6.7
• Experience with Windows System Administration