- Job Title
- Investment Analyst
- Job ID
- CHICAGO, IL 60603
- Other Location
National Community Investment Fund (NCIF; www.ncif.org) is an impact investor and national nonprofit Community Development Financial Institution (CDFI) formed in 1996 with a mission to increase access to responsible financial products and services in underserved communities. Total assets under management at NCIF are around $200 million, including $180 million of New Markets Tax Credits (NMTC) allocations outstanding. To support our growth initiatives, we have launched a $35 million Credit Strategies Fund with new debt capital of $15 million. NCIF is the largest investor in CDFI & MDI banks with investments in 19 institutions nationwide. NCIF achieves its mission via 3 complementary business lines:
- Equity Investing in Mission Oriented Financial Institutions: We support depository institutions with equity, debt and deposit investments with more than $40 million invested in and lent to 50+ financial institutions since inception.
- New Markets Tax Credits: We have received $326 million in NMTC allocations and are deploying it into real estate, operating companies, health care facilities, schools, other nonprofit and for-profit impact-oriented businesses.
- Lending: With the launch of the Credit Strategies Fund, we will make/purchase loans in partnership with CDFI Banks and other mission-oriented partners to finance socially impactful commercial real estate projects that benefit underserved communities.
Impact measurement is the core foundation of NCIF’s Theory of Change and supports all of our business lines. We inform investors and other stakeholders place equity, debt, deposits and grants to meet their programmatic and geographic focus areas. NCIF pioneered the use of Social Performance Metrics (see www.bankimpact.org and www.BankImpactmaps.org) and is developing a cloud based core data platform to support data analytics.
As the Investment Analyst, you will support the Investment team and have the following specific responsibilities, which will include but not be limited to:
Support Underwriting of Investment Opportunities
- Review and analyze financial condition and operating performance information of mission oriented financial institutions, which include CDFI and MDI depository institutions.
- Assist in the preparation of various valuation analyses of investment targets and portfolio financial institutions. Such analysis will include but not limited to comparable company and transaction analysis, discounted cash flow analysis and internal rate of return analysis.
- Assist in data gathering due diligence process including economic, market and industry research and analysis.
- Prepare and analyze social impact and performance of investment targets and portfolio banks.
- Create financial projections to perform financial statement, cash flow and risk and mitigant analysis.
- Analyze borrower budget and projections to assess and stress test debt service capacity.
- Assist investment team with investment memoranda and presenting to investment/loan committee.
- Ensure compliance of all transaction covenants and conditions.
- Monitor financial and social performance of portfolio financial institutions on a quarterly and annual basis.
- Assist with the preparation of portfolio company annual reviews.
- Assist with the preparation of semi-annual portfolio valuation analysis.
- Support investment department with post close monitoring/reporting, as required.
- Assist with weekly, quarterly market and industry reports to promote NCIF brand.
- Assist with the preparation of grant applications and with any capital raising efforts as required.
- Bachelor’s degree required, preferably in Business, Accounting or Finance.
- 2 - 5 years of experience as an analyst with investment industry experience.
- Experience in equity and impact investing, CDFI and nonprofit organizations and working with depository institutions would be a plus.
- Passion for community development and for improving the lives of individuals in underserved communities.
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office with strong expertise in MS Excel
- Strong attention to detail and analytical skills.
- Ability and willingness to work in an entrepreneurial organization positioned to grow.
- Ability to work on multiple projects simultaneously.
To respond to this opportunity, please include your resume and cover letter.
We are an equal opportunity employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.