ESL Teacher - Contractor - Poughkeepsie, NY
- Job Title
- ESL Teacher - Contractor - Poughkeepsie, NY
- Job ID
- Poughkeepsie, NY
- Other Location
The Cambridge Network onsite teaching program is designed for students on all points of the academic ability spectrum. We are currently hiring an ESL teacher to teach international students at our local high school programs. This opportunity is ideal as a side project to supplement the schedule of a part-time or full-time student or professional.
This position will begin as soon as possible and will be 4 hours per week.
Required Qualifications and Skills:
- Bachelor's degree or higher
- Sensitivity to cultural differences
- Strong interpersonal skills
- Access to personal vehicle (for onsite programs)
- Academic school-year commitment
- Knowledge of Microsoft Office, Outlook and web conferencing (Zoom, Skype, etc.)
Preferred Qualifications and Skills:
- ESL Instruction experience
- 2+ years’ experience in Education
- Master's or Advanced Degree/Background in TESOL, EFL, Linguistics, English or another related field.
- Knowledge in Mandarin Chinese as well as international experience are always a plus
- Create one-on-one or small group curricula for courses
- Teach CPLC class(es) and/or Humanities Support
- Assess the academic needs of the students, prepare the students for their academic goals, and ensure students achieve their highest possible test scores
- Make full academic year commitment
- Track and analyze student progress, complete progress reports and communicate with Tutoring Coordinator about student progress
ESL graded classes: Teach a College Prep Language and Culture class, execute placement tests, implement established curriculum focused on critical reading and writing skills and SAT prep. Conduct regular assessments, textbooks for students included. Class can be substituted for a world language requirement.
Humanities Support/Guided Study: Teachers are asked to provide content support and homework help to students after school for up to one hour a day. These sessions are also spent conducting academic essay strengthening as well as working on critical thinking techniques. Students get the individualized, personalized support they need to reach their highest potential academic goals.
- Monthly check in with Cambridge Regional Manager
- Complete Progress Reports every quarter
- Provide a weekly report for academically struggling students
- Submit monthly invoice to Cambridge Regional Manager