Special Education Director, Up-coming School Year, Full time, Sanders, AZ
- Job Title
- Special Education Director, Up-coming School Year, Full time, Sanders, AZ
- Job ID
- Sanders, AZ 86512
- Other Location
We’re hiring for a Special Education Director for the upcoming school year (2019-2020) as a full-time job in Sanders, AZ.
The Director of Special Education will be responsible for providing leadership and supervision of all District special education programs and related services. Duties will include collaborating with the District Administrators in administering, planning, budgeting and coordinating all activities and programs pertaining to special education.
- Master’s Degree in Special Education or related field
- Five or more years’ experience working in a special education environment
- Experience supervising the administration of special education programs
- Five or more years special education teaching experience
- Evidence of leadership in delivery of professional development in special education
- Valid Administrative Certification
- Demonstrated proficiency with special education laws and Section 504
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Responsible for design, delivery and evaluation of special education programs that increase student growth and accomplishment of IEP goals
- Responsible for the evaluation of assigned staff and the oversight of all special education staff
- Responsible for aligning all special education programs and interventions with Arizona Academic Standards, best practices, and current textbook adoptions, AZ Learns and No Child Left Behind.
- Works collaboratively with the Administrator for Curriculum and Accountability and the Administrator for Professional Development and Instruction to develop annual and multi-year calendars for professional development opportunities for special education staff and all instructional staff.
- Works with administrative team to assure that all stakeholders are informed regarding special education programs across the district.
- Develops the plan for utilizing instructional and adaptive technology in the support of special education programs across the district.
- Conducts an annual program analysis and report on special education programs offered throughout the district. The purpose of the report is to identify areas in which activities can be improved to better meet the needs of Sanders' students.
- Works productively as a team member with the Leadership Team, District Planning Team and teaching staff, classified staff and site-based teams.
- Works with the Administrator for Curriculum and Accountability in coordinating the purchase and timely arrival in the classrooms of all supplementary instructional materials required for special education teachers that support district adoptions.
- Responsible for establishing and updating the list of standardized materials in each special education class in the district. Works with building administration to assure that special education teachers have the standardized materials they need to teach students.
- Responsible for supporting the Administrator for Student Services in keeping the district in compliance with all state and federal special education and student health laws as well as district policies.
- Works in coordination with Human Resources to recruit and retain “highly qualified” special education staff members.
- Other duties as may be assigned.
KNOWLEDGE AND SKILLS REQUIRED:
Skills required, but not limited to, for this position include:
- Knowledge of current research in educational leadership and school reform
- Knowledge of special education laws and programs
- Ability to interpret and apply special education law, policies and procedures and provide information to school staff
- In-depth understanding of special education teaching methods and techniques
- Coordinate the implementation of special education programs with the maximum consideration of inclusion and least restrictive environment
- Assist in difficult situations with students by facilitating meetings and problem resolutions with parents as well as staff
- Conduct observations in order to aid in the diagnosis as well as the development of programming and instructional strategies
- Develops and implements training opportunities and in-services for education staff, parents and administrators
- Extensive knowledge in the primary disability category supporting
- Well-developed understanding of the special education process
- Strong organizational and interpersonal skills
- Demonstrates successful teamwork and collaboration skills
- Demonstrates strong communication skills, writing competency, effective listening, and presentation skills
- Self-motivated, highly organized, and detail-oriented
- Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with staff, supervisors, parents, students, and external organizations, representing diverse populations
- Professional demeanor with strong ethical standards and ability to adapt to change
- Proven ability to work in a fast-paced, demanding environment, on multiple projects simultaneously both as a team member and individually
Futures Education is a unique organization that provides management and clinical staff to schools located in several locations through the United States. First and foremost, we are hands-on practitioners and educators, committed to best practices, research, and data-driven decision making that provides authenticity to our work and allows us to provide unparalleled service to our client partners. Futures Education is therapist owned and operated, and our mission is to build better lives.
Each day offers a chance for us to improve someone’s life. Do you want to help make a difference? Reach out today!
- Required Skills
• Master’s Degree in Special Education or related field
• Five or more years’ experience working in a special education environment
• Experience supervising the administration of special education programs
• Five or more years special education teaching experience
• Evidence of leadership in delivery of professional development in special education