Payroll Tax Compliance Specialist
- Job Title
- Payroll Tax Compliance Specialist
- Job ID
- KINGWOOD, TX 77339
- Other Location
There’s a reason Insperity ranks No. 1 on Houston Business Journal’s list of Best Places to Work.
Want to work for us and find out why?
As a trusted advisor to America’s best businesses for more than 32 years, Insperity provides an array of human resource and business solutions designed to help improve business performance. In addition, we provide the client company and their worksite employees with a wide array of value-added benefits and services.
Insperity offers a competitive compensation package and one of the best benefits packages in the business, including 19 days paid time off, 8 paid holidays, medical, dental and vision benefits, 401k and tuition reimbursement. We work to maintain the best possible environment for our employees where people can learn and grow with the company. We strive to provide a collaborative, creative environment where each person feels encouraged to contribute to our processes, decisions, planning and culture.
At Insperity, our work environment and our commitment to our employees’ personal and professional success are the reasons we’ve been regarded as one of the “Best Places to Work” for 16 years running.
PAYROLL TAX COMPLIANCE SPECIALIST
Under general supervision and moderate decision-making:
- Ensures submission of timely, accurate tax deposits and reports, and remains in compliance with all employment tax laws in order to limit legal exposure for Insperity.
- Interacts with various Federal, State and local taxing agencies regarding compliance with regulatory guidelines as well as resolving related issues.
- Prepares daily Federal, State and local tax deposits including processing reports, preparing check requests and tax coupons, coding check requests for the general ledger, filing paperwork and ensuring any deposits are mailed or submitted electronically in a timely manner, and performing electronic payment submissions.
- Ensures accurate payment and general ledger coding of all check or ACH payments for State unemployment taxes on Insperity accounts and all client accounts in states requiring client level reporting.
- Prepares all returns for state income tax, state unemployment tax and various local taxes. Assists in all year-end processing and reporting, including W-2’s and W-2C’s.
- Verifies that tax reports and payments from Master Tax program reconcile with AIMS system.
- Files amended returns as needed to correct state income and unemployment taxes.
- Prepares and enters all master file adjustments to the payroll system on a regular basis to ensure correctly issued W-2 forms and SUI returns.
- Ensures accuracy of all check requests for tax related refunds and calculates taxes due on pre-tax deduction refunds.
- Partners with Insperity Payroll Services (IPS) on tax reporting/payments for shared clients with employees on both IPS and Insperity PEO payrolls. Provides support to clients transitioning to Insperity both by assisting internal service departments and Sales and dealing directly with clients on State Unemployment Insurance registration/transition paperwork and questions.
- Provides documentation to assist clients choosing to close payroll related tax accounts.
- Advises and guides internal personnel regarding Federal and State payroll tax regulations and the correct processing of payrolls.
- Works with Unemployment Claims group in resolving unemployment benefit denials due to erroneous information given/entered into AIMS payroll system.
- Assists in researching client FEIN issues and corrections due to erroneous information given/entered into AIMS.
- Provides information or explanations requested by auditors.
EDUCATION / EXPERIENCE REQUIREMENTS
- High school diploma or equivalent is required. Bachelor’s Degree in Business Administration, Finance or Accounting is preferred.
- Two to three years of experience in multi-state payroll tax filing is preferred.
LICENSES / CERTIFICATIONS
- CPP certification is preferred.
KNOWLEDGE / SKILLS
- Strong knowledge of Payroll and multi-customer operation.
- Principles, practices, and methods of general accounting including methods and techniques used in payroll tax accounting; payroll tax laws applicable to the various Federal, State and local taxing authorities; methods and techniques used in researching various State and local payroll tax laws; the regulatory requirements of various state and local payroll tax laws; and methods and techniques used in general ledger applications as they relate to payroll taxes.
- Ability to work effectively and accurately under narrow time limitations and strict reporting deadlines; plan, organize and complete assigned work in a timely manner; communicate clearly and concisely, verbally and in writing; work independently from general instructions; and maintain effective work relations with those encountered in the course of employment.
- Effective customer service skills with professional verbal and written communication abilities.
At Insperity, we believe diversity is the #1 quality of leadership. We are an equal opportunity employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law. #ZR