Option 1: Create a New Profile
Vice President, Economic Development
- Job Title
- Vice President, Economic Development
- Job ID
- HOUSTON, TX 77010
- Other Location
WHO WE ARE
The Partnership is a place for community-minded business leaders who want to be involved in Houston’s positive growth and influence the direction in which Houston is going. Through the dedicated efforts of our members, the Partnership addresses Houston’s unique challenges, and champions the growth and success of our region.
Since 1840, the Greater Houston Partnership has strived to make the region the best place to live, work and build a business. We serve over 1,100 member companies in the 11-county Houston region including Austin, Brazoria, Chambers, Fort Bend, Galveston, Harris, Liberty, Montgomery, San Jacinto, Walker and Waller counties.
Join us as we work together to make Houston greater.
WHO WE ARE LOOKING FOR TODAY
The Vice President, Regional Economic Development (RED) oversees the implementation of regional business attraction, business retention & expansion as well as ecosystem initiatives/programs that position the Houston region as a global location of choice for business relocations, expansions and startups, all with the goal of positively affecting regional job creation, capital investment and Gross Domestic Product (GDP). The RED Vice President provides supervision and day-to-day operational direction to approximately six direct reports, (ED Managers, Directors, Coordinator, and NASA-Executive-on-Loan as needed) on all economic development projects in support of the mission to make Houston one of the world’s best places to live, work and build a business.
WHAT YOU WILL DO
The primary role and responsibility of this position is to lead and manage the organization’s business recruitment, business development, business retention, and expansion programs. This includes generating leads and closing deals as well as coordination with ED Marketing and International Investment & Trade departments to get results. Partnering with regional economic development allies and engaging members to get results is critical to success. This person will be responsible for successfully managing many stakeholders, both inside and outside the organization, including government and elected officials and C-level executives from major corporations.
Primary Duties and Responsibilities
The following responsibilities are essential to job performance:
- Direct and lead business recruitment, retention and expansion efforts to create jobs and attract capital investment to the region within the regional economic development strategy and targeted industry sectors;
- Manage and lead business development efforts of the team with a pipeline of prospective companies through a team approach in connection with key software tools such as a customized Sales Force database and the Synchronist BR&E System;
- Develop, engage and advance an active network of partners, allies, corporate executives, real estate brokers and site consultants to positively affect results through Partnership Committees, HREDA (Houston Regional Economic Development Allies) and related groups;
- Coordination of site visits, events and initiatives which include regional allies, elected officials, business leadership and educational institutions, as examples, to create and develop opportunities;
- Work in collaboration with GHP marketing and research teams to prepare messages and conduct proactive outreach to targeted companies, regions and individuals;
- Manage the collection and reporting of metrics and results using Salesforce CRM;
- Oversee standardization and training of division-wide staff in prospect management and business development processes as needed;
- Plan, coordinate and deliver assistance, information and services to assigned leads and prospects; Services and information include, but are not limited to, the following: marketing and community information, custom proposals, sites and facilities, special incentives, permitting, workforce recruitment/training, briefings/orientation, site visits, VIP introductions, regional ally support/referral, press releases, ground breaking/open houses, and other assistance necessary to recruit, expand and retain companies.
- Obtain and maintain knowledge of assigned target industries, industry trends and influencers, expansion/relocation factors and local companies in the target industries;
- Support and assist SVP in shaping working groups and committee structures under the GHP economic development committee and subcommittee structures;
- Manage the professional development and education of assigned staff, to include coaching, career development and other supervisory functions;
- Represent Economic Development and The Greater Houston Partnership organization at assigned special functions, seminars, trade shows/exhibitions, business development meetings, and missions-- domestically and abroad;
- Work in close collaboration with the International Investment & Trade team of the economic development division as required to support foreign direct investment leads, prospects, trade shows, and briefings to international delegations;
- Support the GHP Public Policy, Workforce and Membership teams by advising or providing guidance on local, state and federal legislation, workforce issues or member engagement and events;
- Support executive leadership team with special assignments and requests;
- Work closely with Partnership staff to recruit and engage new members to the organization.
- Other duties as assigned.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
The following knowledge, skills and abilities are desirable for job success:
- Excellent verbal, written, analytical, presentation and interpersonal skills;
- Proficiency in Microsoft Windows, Word, Microsoft Excel, PowerPoint, Outlook, Project, Salesforce, budget tracking systems, and other software programs;
- Ability to coordinate, engage and fully utilize member expertise;
- Professional appearance;
- Professional interaction with all levels of internal and external contacts;
- Preference for fast paced, goal- and team-oriented environment;
- Ability to work well under pressure and deadlines, with minimal supervision;
- Ability and flexibility to prioritize and work on multiple assignments;
- Preference for detail work and accuracy.
- Effectively identify and develop talent, advancing high performers. Assist team members in their development as individuals and professionals.
- Partner with the division VP’s to set goals and direction of the departments and maintain budget parameters for the team.
- Direct the activities of the team as described above, setting priorities and delegating responsibility to staff.
- Set performance metrics that drive team’s success.
- Deliver and participate in formal and informal performance reviews for direct reports and indirect reports
KEY BEHAVIORAL ATTRIBUTES-
- Exceptional Communications-Communicates effectively and persuasively, both verbally and in writing; Can write prose with proper grammar and syntax; Listens actively; builds trust; uses the appropriate media for the situation; Knows what and when to communicate to a particular audience.
- Strategic Thinking - Adapts strategy to changing conditions. Analyzes market and competition. Develops strategies to achieve organizational goals. Identifies external threats and opportunities. Understands organization's strengths & weaknesses
- Impact oriented- Mission driven Seeks to make a vital difference in the development and success of the greater Houston region.
- Community minded- Appreciates and understands the needs and complexity of greater Houston; Grounded in and cares about the community; Knows the key players and organizations; represents GHP in the community.
Bachelor’s degree in business, public administration, economics, urban planning, or a closely related field is required. MBA or other master’s degree in same is desirable.
Requires a background in business development, economic development, commercial real estate, marketing, corporate sales or other equivalent experience; with a minimum of seven years of progressively responsible experience in economic development. Certified Economic Developer (CEcD) helpful but not mandatory.
- Good vision and hearing acuity (with adaptive aids if necessary).
- Manual dexterity and skillful use of computer keyboard.
- Physical exertion includes bending, pushing, standing, and walking. Must be able to move or lift approximately 25 pounds on occasion.
MENTAL APTITUDE REQUIREMENTS
- Job requires the ability to hear, see, and talk; analytical, conceptual, problem-solving, planning and decision-making skills. (reasonable accommodations available)
Adhere to the office safety policies and procedures.
WHAT WE OFFER
We value our employees’ time and efforts. Our commitment to your success is evident in the opportunities to grow professionally throughout the organization.
- Competitive total compensation, extensive benefits package including paid garage parking, paid time off, medical, dental and vision benefit, and future growth opportunities within the organization.
- We strive to provide a collaborative, idea driven, creative environment to contribute to our processes, decisions, planning and culture.
The Greater Houston Partnership is an Equal Opportunity Employer