Strategic Operations Manager (Non-Profit)
- Job Title
- Strategic Operations Manager (Non-Profit)
- Job ID
- Burbank, CA 91505
- Other Location
Strategic Operations Manager
The Hollywood Professional Association (HPA®) is the trade association serving the community of individuals and businesses who provide creative and technical expertise, support, tools and infrastructure for professional content creation, distribution and archive.
Through our three pillars of activities — Community, Knowledge Exchange and Recognition — the Hollywood Professional Association (HPA) advances the arts, science and business of the media and entertainment industry.
A partnership with the HPA connects Society of Motion Picture and Television Engineers (SMPTE) and its membership with the professional community of businesses and individuals who provide the expertise, support, tools and infrastructure for the creation and finishing of motion pictures, television programs, commercials, digital media and dynamic media content. HPA is affiliated with, and shares services and support from, the global industry standards organization, The SMPTE, headquartered in White Plains, NY. This includes shared leadership - the Executive Director of SMPTE also serves as HPA Executive Director, as well as many administrative services such as membership database support, event management, conference content programming support, sponsorship and membership sales, as well as accounting/financial reporting services.
For the past 102 years, the people of the SMPTE have sorted out the details of many significant advances in entertainment technology, from the introduction of “talkies” and color television to HD and UHD (4K, 8K) TV.
SMPTE’s global membership today includes 7,000 members, who are motion-imaging executives, engineers, creative and technology professionals, researchers, scientists, educators and students. The Society has developed thousands of standards, recommended practices and engineering guidelines, more than 800 of which are currently in force.
As the Strategic Operations Manager, you will manage day-to-day operations, communications activities and functionality of the HPA and will interact with a broad range of people in the industry. You will oversee the initiatives of the HPA and management of the Burbank office staff, in addition to other committees and assignments as determined from time to time. The ability to demonstrate a broad set of communication, computer/technical and financial skills will be essential for your success.
Report directly to the SMPTE-HPA Executive Director, this position is based in Los Angeles, at the HPA offices in Burbank and you will have three direct reports and regular interactions with staff at the White Plains office. We will rely on you to travel throughout the LA area to attend various industry events, as well as to visit with member and prospective member organizations.
- Oversee and manage HPA membership and social events
- Identify business development opportunities that generate revenue
- Maintain excellent level of customer service
- Increase brand recognition, awareness and member engagement initiatives by developing various marketing outreaches
- Represent HPA to contractors, members, media, industry professionals, other association executives, etc.
- Manage day-to-day operations and Burbank staff assignments
- Join the Executive Director direct-reports team reporting regular status on HPA activities
- Work with White Plains team, support execution of the main HPA activities, Tech Retreat and Awards
- Provide guidance and support for HPA committees
- Work with external marketing-communications team, ignite strategic communications, develop and execute on marketing plans
- Work with White Plains staff, manage membership
- Work with White Plains team, oversee IT infrastructure, including database, website, apps, content and required updates
- Facilitate member access to information
- Participate in budget process
- Manage monthly forecasting
- Support Executive Director in preparing regular monthly financial reports
An ideally qualified candidate will have:
- Experience successfully managing and motivating small teams with focus on driving an open, collaborative culture where stakeholders and staff are heard and engaged
- The ability to successfully navigate between industry stakeholders, members, sponsors, a committed and engaged volunteers - Board of Directors and committee leaders - and a staff where relationships, needs and priorities are dynamic
- Strong written and oral communications skills
- Exhibits a passion for the creative/post-production/distribution community
- Ability to create and maintain effective working relationships with individuals
- Professionalism in representing the HPA at all times
- Efficient multi-tasking skills with the ability to consistently meet deadlines and deliver results
- Strong and diligent organizational and recordkeeping skills
- Ability to make sound business decisions and independently carry out day-to-day management functions in support of mission and strategic goals
- Creative self-starter
- Ability to determine member needs and seek solutions
- Ability to identify new business opportunities that support HPA’s mission
- Must work collaboratively with all constituent groups, including volunteers, staff, membership and the general public
- Ability to manage time and priorities, attention to detail and ability to follow through independently
- Flexibility to travel to member locations, and travel to meetings, tradeshows, and/or conventions as required
Other Desired Personal Characteristics:
- Minimum of 5 years of operational and management experience (or non-profit association experience)
- College degree, MBA a plus
- Experience successfully managing small teams
- Event planning experience a plus
- Proficient with financial management and analysis, including budgeting and forecasting
- Business development experience a plus
- Strong technical/computing skills with proficiency in Microsoft Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Outlook, Acrobat and other PC based tools
We are an equal opportunity employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.