Option 1: Create a New Profile
Manager, Marketing & Communications (Media & Internal)
- Job Title
- Manager, Marketing & Communications (Media & Internal)
- Job ID
- Houston, TX 77010
- Other Location
WHO WE ARE
The Partnership is a place for community-minded business leaders who want to be involved in Houston’s positive growth and influence the direction in which Houston is going. Through the dedicated efforts of our members, the Partnership addresses Houston’s unique challenges, and champions the growth and success of our region.
Since 1840, the Greater Houston Partnership has strived to make the region the best place to live, work and build a business. We serve over 1,100 member companies in the 11-county Houston region including Austin, Brazoria, Chambers, Fort Bend, Galveston, Harris, Liberty, Montgomery, San Jacinto, Walker and Waller counties.
Join us as we work together to make Houston greater.
WHO WE ARE LOOKING FOR TODAY
The communications manager (media and internal) is part of a team of experienced, communications professionals responsible for the development, planning and execution of an integrated communications strategy, both internally and externally, that generates positive media coverage, reinforces and supports the Partnership vision and brand and assists in achieving the organization’s goals and objectives.
WHAT YOU WILL DO
The communications manager is responsible for executing and managing strategies related to media relations, content management, and internal communications.
Under the general direction of the Director of Marketing and Communications (Content Creative), and working collaboratively with other respective Marcom professionals, the Manager of Communications (Media and Internal) will:
- Partner with the broader Partnership Marcom team and external agency to aggressively advance key Houston and organization storylines with the media. Advance the story and keep the conversation relevant with media and stakeholders through long-term, campaign-styled efforts.
- Develop and execute strategic media relations and communications plan that increases awareness and positive perception of the organization internally and externally.
- Capitalize on unique and newsworthy stories as well as leveraging unexpected opportunities as they arise.
- Support media relations efforts including strategy development, story pitching, fact checking, reporter targeting and results packaging.
- Identify and generate story line opportunities that tie Partnership priorities to external news cycle relevancy.
- Support the development of press releases, media advisories, and press announcements.
- Build and maintain on-going relationships with relevant media, editors, reporters, producers and bloggers across relevant media outlets.
- Assist with the management of the organization’s relationship with its external public relations firm.
- Actively manage professional relationships with local and regional media
- Host media, assist with photo and/or video shoots, and supporting social media and public relations
- Under the direction of the Director of Marketing & Communications acts as strategic communications advisor to management by tracking public attitudes, flagging possible consequences of prospective decisions, developing key messages and managing issues and crisis communications
- Partner with Marcom professionals while using a strategic approach in overseeing the organization’s community relations, initiatives, internal communications and other activities specific to the Partnership.
- Other duties as assigned.
- Develop blog and other online content items on a regular basis.
- Work with internal and external stakeholders to identify stories that will benefit Partnership audiences.
- Consistently mine news media and other resources for new content ideas.
- Conduct interviews, recap events and generally collect information necessary to create relevant content items.
- Contribute to the maintenance of collaborative editorial calendar.
- Other duties as assigned.
- Partner with Human Resources and the organization’s leadership team to create comprehensive, multi-faceted internal communications strategies and programs that engage employees and help them better understand how their roles contribute to and support the Partnership’s goals and priorities.
- Responsible for executing employee communications, strategies, and programs.
- Partner in the integration of internal communication strategies across the organization
- All-staff presentations and follow up communication
- Bi-monthly employee newsletter
- Onboarding announcements
- Various employee engagement programs
- Oversee day-to-day activities of the internal communications program.
- Develop a communications strategy leveraging the company’s intranet portal.
- Oversee agenda and produce presentation for company all-staff meetings.
- Work with confidential matters.
- Other duties as assigned.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, AND ABILITIES
The following knowledge, skills and abilities are desirable for job success:
- Energetic and passionate about Houston
- Excellent writing and speaking ability
- An aptitude for selling ideas
- Excellent written communications skills required; composition, writing, grammar, and spelling.
- Experience in project management; ability to work in a high-volume communications environment with tight deadlines and fast turnarounds.
- Possess a proven track record which demonstrates public relations and business-to-business marketing skills.
- Possess a working knowledge of the local and global economy, the private sector business community and government at local, state and federal levels.
- Excellent verbal, written, analytical, presentation and interpersonal skills.
- Preference for working with internal and external contacts at all levels.
- Ability to prioritize simultaneous assignments.
- Ability to work in a team environment.
- Execute with excellence by consistently delivering on promises to the highest standard
- Professional appearance
- Collaborative both internally and externally; works with others to achieve common goals
- Advanced level proficient in Microsoft PowerPoint, Word, and Excel.
- Nimble/flexible to work some overtime and/or work on additional projects, as necessary.
- B.A. in communications, marketing, or other relevant area of study
- Five to seven years of experience in communications, journalism, public affairs, marketing, or related field.
- outstanding written and oral communications skills
- customer service and relationship management skills
- Three years of project management experience
KEY BEHAVIORAL ATTRIBUTES
- Ability to balance team and individual responsibilities
- Communicates effectively and persuasively, both verbally and in writing; Can write prose with proper grammar and syntax; Listens actively; builds trust; uses the appropriate media for the situation;
- Consistently delivers on promises to the highest standards; Appreciates and demands quality; Goes the extra mile.
- Willing to be judged; takes ownership; makes decisions; overcomes obstacles; takes initiative and finishes a job at a high-level of excellence.
- Good vision and hearing acuity (with adaptive aids if necessary).
- Manual dexterity and skillful use of computer keyboard.
- Physical exertion includes bending, pushing, standing, and walking. Must be able to move or lift approximately 25 pounds on occasion.
MENTAL APTITUDE REQUIREMENTS
- Job requires the ability to hear, see, and talk; analytical, conceptual, problem-solving, planning and decision-making skills.
Adhere to the office safety policies and procedures.
WHAT WE OFFER
We value our employees’ time and efforts. Our commitment to your success is evident in the opportunities to grow professionally throughout the organization.
- Competitive total compensation, extensive benefits package including paid garage parking, paid time off, medical, dental and vision benefit, and future growth opportunities within the organization.
- We strive to provide a collaborative, idea driven, creative environment to contribute to our processes, decisions, planning and culture.
The Greater Houston Partnership is an Equal Opportunity Employer.