Chief Technology Officer
- Job Title
- Chief Technology Officer
- Open Position ID
- New York, NY 10019
- Other Location
Reporting to the President and CEO, the CTO is a key member of WNET’s senior management team and partners with senior leaders to identify and implement a technology vision that is aligned with the interests of the business and ensures the full support of all of WNET’s operations.
This role requires a dynamic and collaborative individual with deep knowledge of media technology who will develop, direct, and communicate WNET’s technology strategy. In addition, the CTO oversees the advancement of the technological software and infrastructure architecture that will support and enhance the mission of WNET.
The CTO oversees IT infrastructure, hosting and applications and provides thought leadership in innovation and strategy regarding the future anticipated technological developments in the areas of content delivery for broadcast, cable, information technology, systems, new media applications and web technology. The CTO will also provide leadership and vision to the Board of Trustees in all technology related matters.
The CTO manages and directs all activities for the collection, communication, processing and reporting of information to support the organization, including centralized and decentralized information processing, voice and data. The CTO will lead a systems and technology team that operates at the highest level to support the IT infrastructure of the organization, fostering sound business practices, cost effectiveness and accountability. The CTO will lead a cross functional team to ensure that WNET’s IT operational requirements are fulfilled to include: fully integrated systems, data reporting, production operations, broadcast distribution and Interactive. Specific responsibilities include:
· Working collaboratively with the President and the WNET Senior Management, direct the strategic design, acquisition, implementation, and operational management of all technology infrastructure and capabilities across the organization;
· Partner with other senior leaders to direct and support the strategic design, implementation, and operational management of all digital products;
· Develop and implement a sustainable technology planning process at WNET;
· Along with the President and Senior Management team, oversee the operations of all technical facilities and the supporting workflow ongoing maintenance of these facilities;
· Establish, communicate, and maintain all technology best practices and standards, including those related to software, hardware, cloud services, data collection / retention, and data privacy management to internal management (including Board of Trustees) as well as to PBS, technology community and outside consultants;
· Develop standards and practices and oversee business continuity and recovery systems for natural disasters, political uncertainty and any other unforeseen events that could affect operations;
· Establish and drive all cybersecurity and technology governance practices, processes, and controls;
· Build and maintain the operational tools, resources, and processes needed to provide appropriate availability, scalability, and service levels across all technology services and infrastructure;
· Develop and maintain qualified, diverse talent through appropriate hiring, staff development and training, and effective, timely performance feedback;
· In partnership with the CFO, implement enterprise wide procurement practices with significant client/vendors for Technology whether for hardware, software and/or services;
· Work collaboratively with other departments across WNET, and with other PBS constituencies, as appropriate, to ensure a high level of communication, understanding and customer satisfaction for technology projects;
· Balance risk against capital and operating expenses while managing department and capital budgets and equipment grant applications;
· Strong financial acumen to prepare capital requests, understand the financial drivers of the organization and oversee budgets.
· Actively participate in the audit process both for technology and for the enterprise
- Required Skills
• A minimum of 10 years of experience in a production/broadcast/digital environment and in-depth knowledge of broadcast, information technology and digital technologies used in the industry;
• Experience with digital audio/video formats and technology;
• Solid understanding of current application development tools and practices and with operating systems;
• Proven experience in managing a technology and operations function from a financial and managerial point of view;
• Strong operational background and ability to design broadcast production systems and processes;
• Ability to implement excellent customer service based processes;
• Hands-on experience in attracting and retaining innovative, technologically savvy talent;
• Negotiation experience with clients, vendors, and technology business partners;
• Familiarity with market for broadband distribution services.
• A BA/BS or equivalent work experience is required. A technical and/or business postgraduate degree is preferred.