At MSC, our success depends on the talent and dedication of our employees who are driven to make a difference. We create a culture of learning, innovation, and teamwork and encourage our staff to develop new skills and expertise. We offer competitive pay and excellent benefits. If you require assistance in submitting an application for employment with MSC please call 240-514-4140 or email email@example.com. Applicants have rights under Federal Employment Laws: Family and Medical Leave Act (FMLA), Equal Employment Opportunity (EEO), Employee Polygraph Protection Act (EPPA).
Scientific Data Management Specialist
- Job Title
- Scientific Data Management Specialist
- Position ID
- Bethesda, MD
- Other Location
~~Medical Science & Computing (MSC) is an exciting growth oriented company, dedicated to providing mission critical scientific and technical services to the Federal Government. We have a distinguished history of supporting the National Institutes of Health (NIH) and other government agencies. MSC offers a dynamic and upbeat work environment, excellent benefits and career growth opportunities.
We attract the best people in the business with our competitive benefits package that includes medical, dental and vision coverage, 401k plan with employer contribution, paid holidays, vacation, Medical and Flexible Spending Accounts, Pre-Tax Transit Assistance and tuition reimbursement. If you enjoy being a part of a high performing, professional service and technology focused organization, please apply today!
MSC is currently searching for a Scientific Data Management Specialist to support the National Institutes of Health (NIH). This opportunity is permanent, full-time, and it is on site in Bethesda/Rockville, MD.
Duties and Responsibilities:
• Manage dataflows and quality assessment of data in relational scientific databases.
• Evaluate and improve performance of data management.
• Move large amounts of quantitative data reliably and efficiently
• Responsible for design, development, implementation, and management of high-throughput automatic data processing infrastructure for large databases in a mature system.
• Assist in clarifying requirements, feature requests, and bug reports for software developers
• Developing and improving the infrastructure supporting the above systems
• Formal Education (minimum: Bachelor’s in life sciences, bioinformatics, physical sciences, mathematics, engineering, or computer science)
• Scripting experience in PERL, Python or related language
• Experience with LINUX/UNIX
• Skilled in SQL
• Strong oral and written communication skills
• The candidate has experience moving large amounts of quantitative data reliably and efficiently
• Biological background work experience such as genome annotation
• Formal Education (desired: Master’s in life sciences, bioinformatics, physical sciences, mathematics, engineering, or computer science)
• Experience with XML/XSLT
• Experience with C++ (or C)
• Experience with the NCBI ClinVar, GTR, MedGen, dbSNP, Gene, GenBank, RefSeq, or dbGaP databases
• Experience with grid computing (LSF, SunGrid, etc.)
• Broad knowledge of molecular biology
• Experience with continuous deployment or continuous integration
• Experience maintaining code in version control systems such as git
Medical Science & Computing is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability, or protected Veteran status.