Director - Software Engineering
- Job Title
- Director - Software Engineering
- Job ID
- Work Hybrid
- Ann Arbor, MI 48104
- Other Location
Director – Software Engineering
Ann Arbor, MI – Hybrid On-site/Remote
$165,000/yr. - $170,000/yr. – Full-time Senior Level
From our start in 2009, Conexess has established itself in 3 markets, employing nearly 200+ individuals nation-wide. Operating in over 15 states, our client base ranges from Fortune 500/1000 companies, to mid-small range companies. For the majority of the mid-small range companies, we are exclusively used due to our outstanding staffing track record
Who We Are:
Conexess is a full-service staffing firm offering contract, contract-to hire, and direct placements. We have a wide range of recruiting capabilities extending from help desk technicians to CIOs. We are also capable of offering project based work.
Our client develops leaders at all levels. Our approach to ongoing career development shapes employees into leaders, no matter the role or job title.
As part of our team, you are a leader in building and supporting cutting-edge eCommerce technology, driving the latest advances in eCommerce experiences to our customers. Our team consists of technologists, developers, solution architects, analysts, and leaders.
The Director of Software Engineering is responsible for organizing, managing, and driving the successful delivery for all workstreams within the program. This position is responsible for owning and running the portfolio of projects including staffing, resource management, financial management and tracking and coordination with appropriate business customers and stakeholders.
Project Planning and Execution
- Leads the development of strategic plans for initiatives of high business complexity
- Works with architects to design business solutions by applying the right technology. Works with architects to transform requirements into solutions design.
- Works with cross functional resources to develop and gain approval for high-level delivery plans of various sized software development projects based on a set of objectives (scope, delivery and technical approaches, risk, assumptions, staffing plans, other cost, and ongoing operational plans and cost).
- Oversee client/customer/vendor relations to ensure that service expectations are met or exceeded
- Monitors portfolio and project metrics for significant deviations in quality, cost, or schedule
- Monitors and reports on all portfolio and project risks and issues; leads mitigation and resolution efforts to limit risks; escalates as needed
- Provides thought leadership to deliver creative and efficient technical solutions
- Accountable for the accuracy of estimates produced, and the on-time, quality delivery of initiatives within the portfolio.
Strategic Leader and Portfolio Manager
- Directly manages a portfolio of technology assets and software development projects.
- Creates, monitors, tracks, and reports on the financial metrics – budget creation and tracking, actual spend, forecasted spend - for the portfolio
- Collaborates with business customers to identify, define, and implement new software solutions that drive customer satisfaction and exceed quality expectations.
- Ensures the technical solution architecture is in alignment with our Technology technical standards and direction.
- Works with peers to define, mature and communicate software development processes.
- Identifies, evaluates, and manages third party vendors, products, technology, or processes for their integration when necessary.
- Coordinates and facilitates activities and commitments with other directors and managers
- Assists in establishing, enabling, and improving project delivery and software development methodologies, procedures, and policies
- Manages the development of detailed technical standards aligned to our Technology technical strategy.
- Able to organize, document and present complex technology information to executive leadership in a concise and understandable manner
- Directly manages the Sr. Technical Product/Project Mangagers and other roles supporting the portfolio of technical initiatives.
- Develop team members to increase the bench strength and flexibility of the department. Ensure that all team members are appropriately trained and have the resources to perform their jobs effectively and efficiently.
- Coach and mentor individuals on the project teams and provide feedback on performance to their leaders
- Recruit, retain and motivate highly technical personnel.
- Ensures staff is cross trained to ensure bandwidth for future support and transfer of knowledge.
- Ensure team members’ understanding of and alignment to the group’s overall goals and operating structure.
- Bachelor’s degree in computer science, engineering or equivalent
- Experience recruiting, managing, and retaining an open source development team
- 8+ years IT experience with a concentration on application development and architecture
- 5+ years managing an agile software development organization (Agile Scrum strongly desired)
- Experience recruiting, managing, and retaining a software development team
- Exceptional leadership skills with a proven ability to work with business customers, stakeholders, and executives
- Demonstrated ability to be productive in a fast-moving environment where coping, tolerance for ambiguity, and common sense is required.
- Possesses strong general business as well as IT acumen, thereby assuring credibility with other leadership team members
- Has foundational experience playing a contributing role in full cycle software delivery as a business analyst, developer, or quality expert (previous development experience preferred).
- Understands, can participate in and lead solution design discussions
- Strong project management, leadership, and organization skills
- Must have the ability to work independently and with minimal supervision
- Candidate must be thorough and detail-oriented
- Application development experience preferred
- Excellent written, oral, and presentation skills