- Job Title
- Plant Manager
- Job ID
We are working with a food-tech company that wants to empower their customers to eat healthy while helping to improve the sustainability of their food systems. The Plant Manager will oversee all functions including food prep, cooking, plating, warehousing, and facilities management.
Our client delivers delicious, organic, plant-forward meals, juices, and snacks to customers on the West Coast at the intersection of convenience, health, and sustainability. This is a hands-on opportunity (and not your average 9 to 5 job- our client works around the clock) for an individual who enjoys getting in the trenches with their team, understands challenges, and identifies opportunities. This individual will also collaborate with senior leadership to help strategize and budget according to the company’s goals and objectives.
- Lead, supervise and monitor the execution of all plant production activities, including receiving, prep, cook, plate, pack, and warehouse operations, to ensure the safe and efficient operation of people, equipment, and facilities.
- Work with the Senior Director of Operations devise the annual plan and budget based on company coals and objectives.
- Define OKRs and strategic plan for key initiatives, including the setting of meaningful metrics (COGS drivers, efficiency, waste, etc) for reporting, meeting operational and financial goals, and communicating goals and progress against them to the team.
- Work with team to plan, organize resources, monitor production and quality, coordinate priorities, resolve issues, and participate in special projects.
- Help define and lead the execution of facilities improvement projects, including build outs and equipment automation.
- Recommend and implement continuous improvement initiatives to increase quality, efficiency, and safety.
- Analyze and control plant expenditures to ensure conformity with budgetary requirements
- Work with R&D to develop new product launch strategies
- Plan, organize, implement, and monitors work schedules and external suppliers consistent with plant needs, production volume, and growth forecasts.
- Rigorously measure operational metrics and KPIs and build a data-driven culture of high performance, accountability, quality, and food/workplace safety in operations.
- Ensure effective preventive maintenance and repair of all material handling systems and equipment to minimize downtime.
- Analyze problems in the production chain, identify their root cause, and establish procedures to reduce or eliminate them.
- Ensure production schedules are met in a timely, efficient, and safe manner.
- Ensure that Health and Safety requirements are being met by supporting and participating in regular Health & Safety meetings.
- Provide support to internal and external audits; assist the QA Director in ensuring proper team member training, compliance, and enforcement of all company policies including food safety, GMPs, SOPs, SSOPs, HACCP, and all local, state, and federal laws.
- Ensure compliance with Company policies, as well as all Federal, State, and Local Employment laws and OSHA regulations.
- Bachelor's Degree in an applicable discipline preferred (i.e. Business, Industrial Management, Engineering, Food Science, Management, Operations)
- 10+ years in manufacturing operations, with 7+ years or more in food manufacturing (preferably fresh perishables)
- 7+ years of people/team management experience, with demonstrated experience leading large teams (200+)
- Strong leadership skills with proven ability to motivate people, assess and develop employee skills, provide support, and feedback (positive and negative) to direct reports and employees at all levels of the organization
- A proven track record of building new systems and scaling for rapid growth, including making sure the right people are in the right seats, the right processes and trainings are in place, and the right equipment and tools have landed.
- Excellent planning and organizational skills, with the ability to balance production and maintenance needs
- Strong understanding of budgeting/expense management with a basic understanding of financial and accounting practices
- Good understanding of safety systems and enforcement of safety rules and policies
- Ability to set, work towards, and achieve aggressive COGS driver and KPI goals
- Proven track record of continuous improvement successes and efficiencies, familiar with lean manufacturing principles including 5-S, Kaizen, Six Sigma, and Root Cause Analysis
- Tech savviness; comfort with data analysis and proficiency in Excel / Google Sheets
- Strong knowledge of OSHA/HACCP/GMP/SSOP/FDA/3rd party GSF/Food Safety