Platform Engineer - Site Reliability Engineering (VMWare, Kubernetes, and Linux)
- Job Title
- Platform Engineer - Site Reliability Engineering (VMWare, Kubernetes, and Linux)
- Job ID
- Ann Arbor, MI 48106
- Other Location
Title: Platform Engineer - Site Reliability Engineering (VMWare, Kubernetes, and Linux)
From our start in 2009, Conexess has established itself in 3 markets, employing nearly 200+ individuals nation-wide. Operating in over 15 states, our client base ranges from Fortune 500/1000 companies, to mid-small range companies. For the majority of the mid-small range companies, we are exclusively used due to our outstanding staffing track record
Who We Are:
Conexess is a full-service staffing firm offering contract, contract-to hire, and direct placements. We have a wide range of recruiting capabilities extending from help desk technicians to CIOs. We are also capable of offering project based work.
The Platform Engineer – Site Reliability Engineering (SRE) is responsible for the overall maintenance and provisioning of the RedHat Linux environment within our eCommerce team, both VMWare Guest and Kubernetes platforms. This position requires a wide base of knowledge from basic Linux administration through capacity planning.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Perform regular operating system patching, rebooting, and remediation of identified security vulnerabilities
- Participate in regular security analysis and operating system hardening requirement discussions
- Ensure platform consistency is achieved between each stack and environment, prior to each release cycle
- Ensure base server platforms are upgraded to N, or N-1 where required by the business on a quarterly basis
- Ensure services are upgraded to N, or N-1 where required by the business on a quarterly basis
- Perform service benchmarking to determine the impact of application of upgrades, tuning parameters, or business requirements
- Provide capacity planning and trending analysis with regards to system and service performance over time
- Ensure a standard platform is available, current, and extensible for both eCommerce and Corp environments
- Ensure server provisioning practices and documentation are current and maintained
- Participate in automation activities related to their functions, managing content in revision control
- Bachelor’s degree in computer science or equivalent experience
- 5+ years production application support experience in a high uptime environment
- 5+ years UNIX administration experience including diagnosis of performance issues, package management, load estimation, kernel tuning, networking configuration, etc.
- 5+ years hosting experience in a large heavy-traffic environment
- Excellent troubleshooting and analytic skills
- Extensive knowledge in platform management in VMWare and Kubernetes
- Ability to manage and execute scripting such as bash and python
- Ability to manage content in BitBucket
- Prefer experience with middleware tools such as ActiveMQ, RadiantLogic and PingFederate
- Ability to work independently on large, complex projects with minimal guidance
- Strong oral and written communications skills.
- Ability to create systematic and manual operations procedures in both technical and user-friendly language.
- Strong facilitation skills.
- Effective leadership, scheduling and management skills.
- Familiarity with process and efficiency enhancements.
- Excellent organization and management skills.
- Extensive knowledge of industry standard development methodologies and technologies.