Senior Platform Engineer- AWS
- Job Title
- Senior Platform Engineer- AWS
- Job ID
- Seattle, WA 98101
- Other Location
Our Technology Team is on a mission to build the next generation e-commerce platform for the next generation customer. We build world-class, innovative experiences and products that give our users access to the world’s most-coveted products and unlock economic opportunity by turning reselling into a business for anyone. Our team uses cutting edge technologies that handle massive scale globally. We’re an internet-native, cloud-native company from day 1 - you won’t find legacy technology here. If you’re a curious leader who loves solving problems, wearing multiple hats, and learning new things, join us!
About the role:
The Platform Engineering mission is to build foundational components which enable engineering teams to rapidly deliver robust services. We strive to learn and understand the collective needs of engineers such that we build a community which fosters innovation, psychological safety, and growth.
Our team focus is on building tools that empower all engineers (including ourselves) to run operationally excellent services, not necessarily operating services ourselves.
We utilize cutting edge tools and services like CircleCI, Kubernetes, LaunchDarkly, Datadog, and Amazon Web Services to build resilient and scalable platforms that accommodate our rapid growth. As a Platform Engineer, you will be empowered to take ownership of technology decisions and solutions while playing a pivotal role in establishing a successful engineering culture at a fast-growing company.
- Work within a cross-functional team of engineers to specify, design, develop, test, and implement cloud services and solutions
- Function as a subject matter expert to projects and implementations regarding DevOps, SRE, and Cloud Architecture
- Programmatically automate routine cloud deployment, administration, and monitoring tasks
- Collaborate with engineers throughout the organization to ensure we are using best practices to build scalable, secure, and operationally sound systems
- Develop data driven measures of team success, overall system, and company health.
- Work with the Platform Engineering team to define OKRs for our goals and quantitatively measure progress against those targets
- 3+ years of applicable experience
- Familiar with microservice, distributed, and event-driven architectures
- Solid understanding of Linux/UNIX and comfortable working in a command line-centric environment
- Troubleshooting, debugging, and collaboration are second nature
- A strong desire to eliminate toil in daily work for all engineers
- Strong understanding of version control concepts, ideally Git (pull requests, branching, tagging, integrations, etc.)
- Experience and passion for automation of key processes, focusing on consistent and measurable results
In addition to these general responsibilities and requirements, we are looking for candidates that span one or more of the following disciplines. (While we’re a multi-disciplinary team, candidates aren’t expected to be experts in all of the items detailed below)
CI/CD & Tooling
- Experience developing and operating CI/CD pipelines (using CircleCI, Jenkins, Github Actions, Travis, etc) to automate delivery of working code to production
- Enforce strict compliance and security requirements in conjunction with Security Engineering via static code analysis, dependency vulnerability scanning, container scanning, etc.
- Work with engineers to create standard local/non-production environments for systems across the organization to enable expedited development and testing
- Develop automated deployment and monitoring of cloud infrastructure, web applications, and microservices.
- Document tooling for use by engineers in the development, deployment, and operation of their services.
- Experience managing PostgreSQL and/or MySQL databases
- General knowledge of infrastructure as code concepts including Terraform, Docker, and Helm
- Comfortable working in Linux environments
- Experience with AWS (VPC, EC2, Fargate, S3, RDS, Elasticache, DynamoDB, API Gateway, SQS, SNS, Lambda)
- Experience developing and troubleshooting networks in cloud providers. Including DNS, VPNs, VPC Peering Connections, etc.
- Knowledge of modern software architectures, including event-driven architecture and 12 factor app design
- Experience with managing containerized platforms, especially Kubernetes
- General knowledge of managing edge networking services like CDN and reverse proxies
Site Reliability Engineering
- Experience building, tuning, and troubleshooting performance for high traffic cloud/web services
- Implementing and consistently improving the performance, availability, reliability, maintainability, security, and scalability of our platform and cloud infrastructure
- Excellent grasp of Kubernetes and Helm including scheduling methods, scaling abilities, control plane, cost effectiveness, etc.
- Comfortable with core SRE concepts like availability, latency, change management, emergency response, and capacity planning
- Able to apply core SRE concepts to small teams (RCAs, trend analysis, availability expectations) and help set the tone around service operations, reliability, and standards.
- Excitement to push metrics and data out to engineering teams and collaborate with them on improving their systems.