Why join Adler University?
- Subsidized group health insurance
- Employer-paid group life, long-term disability and accidental death & dismemberment insurance
- Employee-paid dental, vision, and transportation benefits
- 403(b) savings/retirement plan benefit, with a fully-vested employer matching contribution of up to 5% in the first year. After two years of participation, matching grows by 1% per year, to a limit of 10% employer match.
- $1,500 professional development allowance per fiscal year
- Tuition reimbursement of 50% for coursework related to Adler University employment
- Paid time off for holidays, vacation and sick days
Click here to read our recruitment brochure.
- Job Title
- Payroll Accountant
- Job ID
- Chicago, IL
- Other Location
JOB TITLE: Payroll Accountant
The Adler School of Professional Psychology, founded in 1952, is the oldest independent school of psychology in North America. The School provides graduate education in psychology and health service delivery with campuses in the heart of downtown Chicago and downtown Vancouver. Program offerings include an APA-accredited clinical psychology program and five Master’s Degree programs at its Chicago location and a Master of Arts in Counseling at its Vancouver location. The Adler School is committed to continuing the pioneering work of the by. As part of its commitment to continue the work of the first community psychologist Alfred Adler, the School graduates socially responsible practitioners, by engages in communities, and by advances social justice.
The Payroll Accountant is primarily responsible for processing semi-monthly payroll, A/P, and some balance sheet reconciliations. Initiative and assistance with ad hoc payroll issues as they arose is expected.
Applicants must have the following competencies:
- Bachelor Degree in Accounting
- 3-5 years of experience in payroll
- Able to identify problems and recommend solutions
- Must be a self-starter, as some of the processes have not been fully implemented
- Highest level of professionalism and integrity with the ability to handle and manage confidential information. Excellent interpersonal skills to build strong relationships at all levels with confidence.
- Demonstrated attention to details
- Familiarity with at least one payroll system (preferably UltiPro)
- Experience in higher education a plus
- Excellent communication skills. Excellent computer skills including aptitude to write reports from the payroll system. Strong proficiency in Excel and other Microsoft applications.
30% PROCESSING PAYROLL:
- Full cycle semi-monthly payroll processing
- Responds to employee payroll questions in a friendly and efficient manner
- Prepares payroll journal entries
- Reviews of the quarterly payroll tax reports
- Year-end processing W-2 and 1099
- Liaises with HR Generalist to ensure employee information in the payroll system is accurate
- Stays current on regulatory and legal payroll developments
20 % ACCOUNT RECONCILIATIONS:
- Reconciles payroll related accounts against payroll register on monthly basis
- Investigates any and all reconciliation items that are not appropriate; prepares corrective journal entries
- Able to draw conclusions, educate and build inter-departmental relationships to avoid further reconciliation issues
- Assists in preparing reconciliation-related schedules for annual audit
- Processes payments to vendors and employee reimbursements
- Liaises with the Registrar and VP of Academic Affairs to process adjunct payments
- Processes employee Metra/CTA contributions
- Becomes a super-user of UltiPro Payroll system and learns its reporting capabilities to track PTO, benefits, and special payroll codes
- Tracks professional development allowance
- Supports the development of accounting policies and procedures to ensure controls over transactional processing
- Facilitates payroll system training for managers on as needed basis
5% DATA MAINTENANCE:
- Maintains an orderly accounting filing system
5% SPECIAL PROJECTS:
Assists in automating and improving existing accounting processe
- Required Skills
Bachelor Degree in Accounting
3-5 years of experience in payroll
Able to identify problems and recommend solutions
Must be a self-starter, as some of the processes have not been fully implemented
Highest level of professionalism and integrity with the ability to handle and manage confidential information. Excellent interpersonal skills to build strong relationships at all levels with confidence.
Demonstrated attention to details
Familiarity with at least one payroll system (preferably UltiPro)
Experience in higher education a plus