- Job Title
- General Manager
- Job ID
- Garland, TX
- Other Location
General Manager – Fortress Railing Products
Come join a fast-growing company that is recognized as a leader in the railing industry.
Fortress Railing Products, a subsidiary of Fortress Building Products, is seeking an experienced General Manager to lead and execute a strategic plan for continued profitable growth of our railing business. As General Manager, you will lead and develop a team of sales, customer service, and product management personnel and own full P&L responsibilities for the business unit. You will collaborate regularly with various shared departments including Marketing to ensure alignment and success of key strategic initiatives. As part of the senior leadership team within Fortress, you will report directly into the Chief Operating Officer and play an active role in developing current and long-term company goals.
The ideal candidate for this role will have a strong sales and marketing background within the building products industry including demonstrated success in coaching, mentoring, and developing a diverse team to achieve overall sales growth.
OUR CORE VALUES
Work Hard, Play Hard – We seek passionate people. We take our work seriously and we take the enjoyment of our lives seriously.
Positive, Can DO Attitude – We are optimistic, we set challenging goals and we find a way to accomplish them. We approach challenges with the intention of finding solutions.
Compete & Win As A TEAM – We put the TEAM first. Our team is what makes our company great. We are a competitive group that like to win. We keep score.
Innovate & Seek Continuous Improvement - We believe it can always be better. We want better products and processes. We want to be better individuals. We want to be a better organization.
We Are Respectful – We respect fellow team members, our partners, ourselves and our company. We are known to be “the good guys”.
PRIMARY DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Responsible for strategic vision and planning that should be communicated through the creation and execution of a strategic plan that will assure a profitable growth path for Fortress Railing Products.
- Provide operational and sales leadership to guide the team through a tactical execution of the plan.
- Set and monitor Marketing and Product Management direction while overseeing Sales, Inside Sales, and Customer Service activity.
- Conduct evaluations of the team and provide mentoring, leadership, training and development. Evaluate, establish and develop a high performing Fortress Railing Products Team. Identify, and recommend, organizational structure needs and changes necessary for profitable growth.
- Set and implement procedures, processes and controls that will improve efficiencies and can support our desired growth.
- Collaborate with cross functional personnel, both domestic and international, to ensure alignment of key strategic initiatives for Fortress Railing Building Products.
- Complete an annual budget and corresponding business strategy that supports meeting the company’s financial forecast. Continuously track progress and assure that quarterly and annual goals for the business unit budget are met.
- Work with the management team to develop current and long term goals, plans, objectives and policies.
- Provide strong leadership to all functions of the business and build a "service/customer oriented" culture. Reinforce, throughout the entire company, the desire and commitment to the highest levels of customer service. Communicate and demonstrate this commitment to all customers.
- Evaluate areas of need and +/- impacts. When needed, lead an effective search and recruitment process to assure the “best of the best” in new members of the team.
- Assure constant review of the railing product line, analyzing product line and individual product performance, making necessary changes to assure strong ROI and viability of all active products.
- Participate in the identification, design, go/no-go, development and the launch of new and improved products. Assist in the setting and management of schedules.
- Utilize a Strategic Pricing Strategy that includes product costing and market pricing for Fortress Railing Products.
- Research, administer and analyze needed testing assuring that we are marketing products that will not present a liability to the company or its partners.
- Work with Supply Chain in materials forecasting and ordering to assure ample product turns and elimination of slow moving inventory.
- Utilize the ERP system and implement new management processes to better manage inventory. Create Key Performance Indicators to measure performance and drive accountability. Lead the charge to a reduced and balance inventory for improved customer satisfaction and financial health for Fortress.
- Serve as a conduit between the end user requirements and Manufacturing.
- Assist Manufacturing in the improvement of existing products through researching market needs, desires and opportunities and how to best address these areas.
- Communicate product specifications and improvements with the Manufacturing Engineering Manager.
- Assist in the identification and creation of needed quality control procedures.
- Occasional travel outside of the U.S. for factory visits, product development and general manufacturing work.
- Design, implement and manage an organizational structure of the Fortress Railing sales team that will assure profitable growth and the accomplishment of our annual sales plan.
- Lead the sales team to maximize gross margin dollars through a strategic pricing and sales strategy.
- Create promotional, market based or product based opportunities to spur off-season sales.
- Maximize two-step, one-step, retail, international and OEM distribution opportunities.
- Create and execute a plan to successfully launch new products.
- Expand International distribution opportunities.
- Achieve a very high, year over year growth percentage.
- Manage the marketing, branding and product image needs with the selected Marketing Resource.
- Lead the trade show process.
- Identify and evaluate advertising and promotional opportunities in print, web, new media, etc.
DESIRED SKILLS AND EXPERIENCE
- Bachelor’s degree in relevant field required, master’s degree or MBA preferred
- At least 3-5 years of applied professional experience in sales management
- At least 5 years of applied professional experience in sales and marketing of building products
- At least 2 years of applied professional experience leading managers
- P&L management experience
- Excellent interpersonal and customer interfacing abilities
- Solid customer service attitude with excellent negotiation skills
- Strong communication and team management skills
- Strong presentation and communication skills
- Analytical skills with a problem-solving attitude
- An ability to create, understand and analyze sales performance metrics
- Expected travel approximately 25% of the time
- Exposure to manufactured metal products a plus