Business Development Manager
- Job Title
- Business Development Manager
- Job ID
- Garland, TX 75040
- Other Location
Business Development Manager – High Security
Department: Channel Sales
Manager: Director, Channel Sales Specification Business
FLSA Status: Exempt
Location: Garland, TX
Do you revel in the thrill of identifying and securing new business opportunities? Are you an engaging presenter, skillful trainer, and technical guru who enjoys helping others solve challenging problems? Would you thrive leading a rapid growth segment in a very entrepreneurial mid-size company? If so, come join Fortress Building Products launch a game changing high security fence product into a market that is booming!
We are seeking a Business Development Manager – High Security to serve as the product expert and technical voice for our newly developed high security product line. In this role, you will be charged with optimizing new and existing customer relationships, marketing, and promotion of the product line. Above all you must embody and embrace the Fortress Core Values.
As the Business Development Manager – High Security, you will be responsible for driving sales growth through a focus on end-user vertical markets such as: contractors, architects, and engineers, as well as, driving continued growth through distributors, key end-user influencers, and specifiers. You will provide technical knowledge, consultative solution development, and end-to-end project support to customers ensuring success and comfort with the product.
OUR CORE VALUES
Work Hard, Play Hard – We seek passionate people. We take our work seriously and we take the enjoyment of our lives seriously.
Positive, Can DO Attitude – We are optimistic, we set challenging goals and we find a way to accomplish them. We approach challenges with the intention of finding solutions.
Compete & Win As A TEAM – We put the TEAM first. Our team is what makes our company great. We are a competitive group that like to win. We keep score.
Innovate & Seek Continuous Improvement - We believe it can always be better. We want better products and processes. We want to be better individuals. We want to be a better organization.
We Are Respectful – We respect fellow team members, our partners, ourselves and our company. We are known to be “the good guys”.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES include the following. Other duties may be assigned.
- Partner with the sales team to develop and execute a sales strategy to meet/exceed sales goals.
- Assist Regional Sales Managers and Territory Managers with market strategy for the product line. Identify new sales targets, market segments, and sales opportunities.
- Assist in the development of marketing collateral and technical documents.
- Secure meetings with prospects to introduce the features and benefits of our high security product line.
- Prepare and deliver effective presentations and training to existing and prospective customers as well as internal teams, from high-level introductory pitches to technical deep dives and product demonstrations, knowing how to gracefully maneuver back-and-forth based on the audience.
- Act as a trusted advisor and professional consultant during the sales process, leveraging deep product knowledge and consulting skills to assess customer needs, understand technical project requirements, and provide optimal solutions.
- Analyze project plans and work with in-house Estimators to define project scope, create an initial design, complete a project take-off, and produce an estimate.
- Develop and maintain professional relationships with key customers, providing exceptional customer service and technical support while gathering customer feedback and intel on how to better serve the market.
- Lead the development of the value statement and the best method to articulate the cost vs. value equation.
- Work with the Regional Sales Managers and Product Manager to create forecasting for manufacturing, inventory, and budgeting purposes.
- Work closely with the Innovations team and Product Manager to enhance and expand the product line in the future.
- Attend industry events and work national trade shows as applicable.
COMPETENCIES: To perform the job successfully, an individual should demonstrate the following competencies:
Achievement Focus – Sets and achieves challenging goals; demonstrates persistence and overcomes obstacles; measures self against standard of excellence; recognizes and acts on opportunities; takes calculated risks to accomplish goals.
Adaptability – Adapts to changes in the work environment; manages competing demands; changes approach or method to best fit the situation; able to deal with frequent change, delay, or unexpected events.
Communications – Expresses ideas and thoughts verbally; expresses ideas and thoughts in written form; exhibits good listening and comprehension; keeps others adequately informed; selects and uses appropriate communication methods.
Customer Focus – Identifies and prioritizes customer needs and recognizes constraints; responds promptly to customer needs; seeks to find out more about customers and provide a better product or service; adopts professional approach to customers; is reliable and delivers on promises.
Problem Solving – Identifies and resolves problems in a timely manner; gathers and analyzes information skillfully; develops alternative solutions; works well in group problem solving situations; uses reason even when dealing with emotional topics.
Consultative Selling – Qualifies potential customers; builds rapport and establishes trust; asks questions to discover client business needs; applies product and market knowledge effectively; presents solutions that meets customer objectives; manages and documents sales process.
Analytical – Synthesizes complex or diverse information; collects and researches data; uses intuition and experience to complement data; designs work flows and procedures.
Business Acumen – Understands business implications of decisions; displays orientation to profitability; demonstrates knowledge of market and competition; aligns work with strategic goals.
Continuous Learning – Assess own strengths and weaknesses; seeks feedback to improve performance; pursues training and development opportunities; strives to continuously build knowledge and skills; shares expertise with others.
Cooperation – Establishes and maintains effective relationships; exhibits tact and consideration; offers assistance and support to co-workers; works cooperatively in group situations; works actively to resolve conflicts.
Impact & Influence – Pursues and wins support for ideas; displays ability to influence key decision-makers; achieves win-win outcomes; uses authority appropriately to accomplish goals; addresses divergent opinions.
Initiative – Volunteers readily; undertakes self-development activities; seeks increased responsibilities; takes independent actions and calculated risks; looks for and takes advantage of opportunities; asks for and offers help when needed.
Project Management – Develops project plans; coordinates projects; communicates changes and progress; completes projects on time and budget; manages project team activities.
Technical Expertise – Effectively applies technical knowledge to solve a range of problems; develops solutions to problems that cannot be solved using existing methods or approaches; is sought out to provide advice or solutions in the area of expertise; keeps informed about current developments in the area of expertise.
QUALIFICATIONS: To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Bachelor’s Degree
- 5+ years of technical or outside sales experience in a similar or related role
- Ability to quickly interpret technical information and provide recommendations on technical issues
- Excellent interpersonal and customer interfacing abilities with drive to positively influence others
- Ability to pioneer a new product line and successfully promote the value to the customer
- Strong business development and negotiation skills
- Excellent communication and presentation skills with the ability to build an industry presence
- Solid project management skills
- Ability to work well under pressure and manage difficult situations
- 25% travel
- Bilingual – English/Spanish a plus
- PSP Certification or willingness to obtain
WORK ENVIRONMENT: The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
This job operates in a professional office environment. This role routinely uses standard office equipment.
PHYSICAL DEMANDS: The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to sit, stand; talk, hear, and use hands and fingers. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision requirements. Light to moderate lifting is required. Ability to uphold the stress of traveling.
ACKNOWLEDGEMENTS: The above job description is not intended to be an all-inclusive list of duties and standards of the position. Incumbents will follow any other instructions, and perform any other related duties, as assigned by their supervisor.