Area Specifications Manager
- Job Title
- Area Specifications Manager
- Job ID
- Charlotte, NC
- Other Location
Area Specifications Manager
Department: Channel Sales
Manager: Sr. Area Specifications Manager
FLSA Status: Exempt
The Area Specifications Manager will be responsible for driving specifications with the AEC community and public agencies within the assigned region. This role will be responsible identifying, securing, and closing specification opportunities in targeted markets while engaging and growing relationships with current and future customers through presentations, training seminars, and technical consultations. The Area Specifications Manager will serve as a market resource and technical product expert, providing ongoing promotion of Fortress Building Products’ full product portfolio to key decision makers, educating them on multi-item architectural “solutions” for their project needs, and influencing the increased specification of our products.
OUR CORE VALUES
Work Hard, Play Hard – We seek passionate people. We take our work seriously and we take the enjoyment of our lives seriously.
Positive, Can DO Attitude – We are optimistic, we set challenging goals and we find a way to accomplish them. We approach challenges with the intention of finding solutions.
Compete & Win As A TEAM – We put the TEAM first. Our team is what makes our company great. We are a competitive group that like to win. We keep score.
Innovate & Seek Continuous Improvement - We believe it can always be better. We want better products and processes. We want to be better individuals. We want to be a better organization.
We Are Respectful – We respect fellow team members, our partners, ourselves and our company. We are known to be “the good guys”.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES include the following. Other duties may be assigned.
- Visit with AEC community and public agencies educating and promoting the full FBP product portfolio. Drive specifications from architects and other design and engineering professionals through AIA Continuing Education (CE) course presentations and sharing FBP marketing materials.
- Participate in area trade groups, organizations, and associations to build relationships with the AEC community.
- Develop in-depth knowledge of specifiers' needs, requirements, and concerns, and offer creative solutions to their challenges.
- Provide timely and complete documented responses to customer requests.
- Work with Estimators by sharing and requesting project leads and AEC community contact information. Assist Estimators and Territory Managers in the development of case studies.
- Identify and analyze large growth markets or business opportunities and assess their viability.
- Support efforts of Territory Managers and other Area Specifications Managers by sharing project leads and assist with planning, attending, and follow up after area trade shows.
- Become the product technical expert for the regional team.
- Manage AEC Daily CE program for assigned region: scheduling, attendee entry, delivery of Certificates of Completion, and report to AIA for self and Independent Reps in assigned region.
- Train area Territory Managers and Independent Reps new to CE course(s). Oversee Independent Reps giving FBP courses to verify adherence to CE SOP and assure exclusive promotion of FBP.
- Upon delegation, plan, attend, and follow up after national industry shows, expos, and exclusive builder events.
COMPETENCIES: To perform the job successfully, an individual should demonstrate the following competencies:
Achievement Focus – Sets and achieves challenging goals; demonstrates persistence and overcomes obstacles; measures self against standard of excellence; recognizes and acts on opportunities; takes calculated risks to accomplish goals.
Communications – Expresses ideas and thoughts verbally; expresses ideas and thoughts in written form; exhibits good listening and comprehension; keeps others adequately informed; selects and uses appropriate communication methods.
Customer Focus – Identifies and prioritizes customer needs and recognizes constraints; responds promptly to customer needs; seeks to find out more about customers and provide a better product or service; adopts professional approach to customers; is reliable and delivers on promises.
Problem Solving – Identifies and resolves problems in a timely manner; gathers and analyzes information skillfully; develops alternative solutions; works well in group problem solving situations; uses reason even when dealing with emotional topics.
Consultative Selling – Qualifies potential customers; builds rapport and establishes trust; asks questions to discover client business needs; applies product and market knowledge effectively; presents solutions that meets customer objectives; manages and documents sales process.
Continuous Learning – Assess own strengths and weaknesses; seeks feedback to improve performance; pursues training and development opportunities; strives to continuously build knowledge and skills; shares expertise with others.
Planning/Organizing – Prioritizes and plans work activities; uses time efficiently; plans for additional resources; sets goals and objectives; organizes or schedules other people and their tasks; develops realistic action plans.
Teamwork – Balances team and individual responsibilities; exhibits objectivity and openness to others’ views; gives and welcomes feedback; contributes to building a positive team spirit; puts success of team above own interests; able to build morale and group commitments to goals and objectives; supports everyone’s efforts to succeed.
Analytical – Synthesizes complex or diverse information; collects and researches data; uses intuition and experience to complement data; designs work flows and procedures.
Business Acumen – Understands business implications of decisions; displays orientation to profitability; demonstrates knowledge of market and competition; aligns work with strategic goals.
Impact & Influence – Pursues and wins support for ideas; displays ability to influence key decision-makers; achieves win-win outcomes; uses authority appropriately to accomplish goals; addresses divergent opinions.
Technical Expertise – Effectively applies technical knowledge to solve a range of problems; develops solutions to problems that cannot be solved using existing methods or approaches; is sought out to provide advice or solutions in the area of expertise; keeps informed about current developments in the area of expertise.
Initiative – Volunteers readily; undertakes self-development activities; seeks increased responsibilities; takes independent actions and calculated risks; looks for and takes advantage of opportunities; asks for and offers help when needed.
QUALIFICATIONS: To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Bachelor's degree in a professional design field (Architecture, Landscape Architecture), Engineering, Marketing, Business, or technical field
- 5+ years of specification sales experience in the building materials industry with a proven track record of profitable specification growth; specifications writing skills a plus
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Professional presentation skills; confident speaking to large groups educated on the subject matter
- Excellent interpersonal, networking, and negotiation skills
- Self-motivated, high energy, and able to work independently in a home office environment with little to no supervision
- Technical aptitude and design sensibility with the ability to read and interpret architectural documents and make technical recommendations while also considering design aesthetics
- Proficient in data analytics, market research, and forecasting
- Professional demeanor and appearance a must
- Proficiency with Microsoft Office (Word, Excel, PowerPoint, & Outlook)
- Willingness and ability to travel overnight up to 40% of the time
- Bilingual a plus
WORK ENVIRONMENT: The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
This job operates in a professional/home office environment. This role routinely uses standard office equipment.
PHYSICAL DEMANDS: The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to sit, stand; talk, hear, and use hands and fingers. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision requirements. Light to moderate lifting is required. Ability to uphold the stress of traveling.
ACKNOWLEDGEMENTS: The above job description is not intended to be an all-inclusive list of duties and standards of the position. Incumbents will follow any other instructions, and perform any other related duties, as assigned by their supervisor.