Join the Grand Rapids Public Museum, the oldest and second largest museum in the state, with a focus on science, history and culture. The Grand Rapids Public Museum has a long history as an educational resource in the community. We are looking for a Vice President of Development to join our Leadership Team.
The Vice President of Development is a significant leadership role reporting to the President & CEO. The V. P. of Development will provide leadership, strategy, direction and coordination for a comprehensive fundraising program that secures financial resources from all donor segments for the Grand Rapids Public Museum. The V.P. of Development will strategically plan and manage the development operation to meet short and long term fundraising goals and to build a multifaceted revenue stream. The V.P. of Development will be the catalyst to strategically grow the Development Program.
The V.P. of Development will have extensive leadership experience in an organization, a proven track record, and extensive experience leading high performance staff and volunteers, preferably in a cultural organization. The successful candidate will be highly motivated, a strategic thinker, passionate about the mission of the Grand Rapids Public Museum and possess the poise, experience and attitude to build and sustain positive relationships with all stakeholders including the philanthropic leaders of the West Michigan community. Our dynamic development team fosters a positive, collaborative culture.
V.P. of Development Responsibilities
- Thoroughly understand and articulate GR Public Museum’s mission, programs, history, policies, culture, values, key stakeholders and financial strategy
- Provide strategic direction for the development efforts at the Museum
- Primary responsibility for the Museum’s Development plan and its related results including management of regular reporting and progress towards goals
- Lead programs to meet the Museum’s current operating needs and capital needs for the Strategic Plan objectives
- Manage donor cultivation, solicitation and relationships both individually and managing the team
- Leverage the President/CEO’s involvement in fundraising
- Implement “Moves Management” or similar fundraising program
- Develop a culture of fundraising within the staff and volunteers
- Oversee direct mail processes and Development publications in coordination with Marketing team
- Coordinate with the Database Manager to manage donor data processes
- Keep up to date with best practices in development and work regularly to implement such practices at the Museum
- Manages the development team of staff and volunteers
- Participate in fundraising conferences and events, act as a representative of the Museum in the community
- Communicate fundraising progress and objectives to the board and volunteers while encouraging their engagement and participation
Professional Experience and Qualifications
- Bachelor’s degree required with at least 7 years of senior leadership level experience in fundraising or its applicable experience equivalent
- Demonstrated competence in the areas of leadership, strategic and tactical planning, major donor solicitation and cultivation, designing and planning fundraising programs, management of donor data, and overseeing detailed operations
- A team player, able to work effectively and collaboratively with colleagues; a member of appropriate professional organizations
- Available to work evenings and weekends as required
The Grand Rapids Public Museum is an equal opportunity employer.