- Job Title
- Accounting Clerk
- Job ID
- HOUSTON, TX 77002-9001
- Other Location
The Coalition for the Homeless of Houston/Harris County is a private, non-profit organization whose mission is to lead in the development and implementation of community strategies to prevent and end homelessness. Our goals include establishing, maintaining, providing and assisting those entities that serve the needs of people who are homeless through advocacy, education, information exchange, collection of current and accurate data relevant to homeless issues; identifying gaps in homeless services and developing solutions to meet those needs; coordinating public and private resources; and dispensing information and referral sources to those that are homeless or at risk.
Are you an energetic team player looking to make a difference locally? We are always looking for talented professionals to succeed and grow with us. We value innovative people who are looking for a challenge and are able to adapt to rapid and continuous change. As a valued employee, you must be flexible and able to meet any challenges that come your way. Are you ready to join us?
As the Accounting Clerk, we will rely on you to compute, classify, record, and verify numerical data for use in maintaining accounting records by performing the following:
- Prepares accounts payable by tracking and coding invoices, processing for approval signatures, inputting invoices into accounting software and processing check run.
- Prepares accounts receivable by inputting cash receipts and preparing bank deposits.
- Files payables and cash receipts, copies and files all backup documentation for grant processing.
- Updates government grant binders monthly.
- Researches problems that vendors have with obtaining payment for their bills.
- Reviews timesheets, enters and posts timesheet data including allocations into accounting software and prepares percentage reports per pay period.
- Reconciles credit card statements and matches receipts to statement to process for payment.
- Assists Grant Accountants in preparation for monitoring.
- Provides support for audit as needed.
- Performs other duties, as assigned.
To perform the job successfully, an individual should demonstrate the following competencies:
- Attention to Detail: Able to manage and monitor multiple contracts each with differing grant periods, reporting requirements and budget allocations.
- Communications - Expresses ideas and thoughts verbally; expresses ideas and thoughts in written form; exhibits good listening and comprehension; keeps others adequately informed; selects and uses appropriate communication methods.
- Dependability - Follows instructions, responds to management direction; takes responsibility for own actions; keeps commitments; completes tasks on time or notifies appropriate person with an alternate plan.
- Teamwork – Works well in small teams, respecting other team member(s) and assuring deadlines are met. Displays willingness to help where needed.
- Associate's degree or equivalent from two-year college or technical school; or six months to one year related experience and/or training; or equivalent combination of education and experience.
- Basic or mid-tier knowledge of Accounting software.
- Intermediate proficiency in Microsoft Excel and Word.
We value our employees’ time and efforts. Our commitment to your success is enhanced by our competitive salary, and an extensive benefits package including paid time off, medical, dental and vision benefits, 401(k) with company match and future growth opportunities. Plus, we work to maintain the best possible environment for our employees, where people can learn and grow with the company. We strive to provide a collaborative, creative environment where each person feels encouraged to contribute to our processes, decisions, planning and culture.