Grant Accountant and Analyst
- Job Title
- Grant Accountant and Analyst
- Job ID
- HOUSTON, TX 77002-7665
- Other Location
The Coalition for the Homeless of Houston/Harris County is a private, non-profit organization whose mission is to lead in the development and implementation of community strategies to prevent and end homelessness. Our goals include establishing, maintaining, providing and assisting those entities that serve the needs of people who are homeless through advocacy, education, information exchange, collection of current and accurate data relevant to homeless issues; identifying gaps in homeless services and developing solutions to meet those needs; coordinating public and private resources; and dispensing information and referral sources to those that are homeless or at risk.
Are you an energetic team player looking to make a difference locally? We are always looking for talented professionals to succeed and grow with us. We value innovative people who are looking for a challenge and are able to adapt to rapid and continuous change. As a valued employee, you must be flexible and able to meet any challenges that come your way. Are you ready to join us?
Grant Accountant and Analyst
As the Grant Accountant and Analyst, we will rely on you to be primarily responsible for analyzing all government grants from award to close and managing grants with third party sub-recipients for which the Coalition serves as fiscal agent.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities include the following. Other duties may be assigned.
- Creates and maintains a master file of all government grants including reporting dates, documentation requirements and budget allocations.
- Processes monthly grant reimbursement requests, including reviewing sub-recipient invoices and details for inclusion, preparing all backup documentation for submission and filing, and meeting monthly billing deadlines for reimbursement.
- Evaluates and monitors grant funded programs to assure compliance with grant contract requirements,
- Matching funds requirements, funder restrictions, regulations, reporting and OMB guidelines, where applicable.
- Makes recommendations for internal adjustments and/or budget revisions monthly to assure all funds are maximized.
- Updates master spreadsheet summary, tracking spending and matching funds by individual contract and in relation to all grants on a monthly basis for management review.
- Works jointly with program staff to implement approved internal adjustments and budget revisions.
- Manages agency interface with all sub-recipient agency personnel.
- Maintains current and historical files for all grants/contracts.
- Applies distribution codes for pre-determined allocations.
- Prepares grant reporting and analysis for senior management and board reporting.
- Provides support during annual audit with special emphasis on providing documentation needed for the single audit.
- Manages special projects as assigned.
To perform the job successfully, an individual should demonstrate the following competencies:
- Attention to Detail – Able to manage and monitor multiple contracts each with differing grant periods, reporting requirements and budget allocations.
- Communication – Able to communicate clearly and effectively both orally and in writing. Ability to understand, interpret and present numerical data effectively. Listens and gets clarification when needed. Can translate accounting concepts and reports to non-accounting audiences.
- Team Player – Works well in small teams, respecting other team member(s) and assuring deadlines are met. Displays willingness to help where needed.
- Independent Worker – Prioritizes and plans work activities. Exhibits sound and accurate reasoning when making decisions. Takes responsibility for own actions but seeks management direction when needed. Identifies and informs management of areas of concern or potential changes with work plan. Completes tasks on time.
- Bachelor's degree in Accounting from four-year college or university and 5+ years of relevant experience required.
- Experience with government grants preferred.
- Knowledge of mid-tier or higher accounting software.
- Advanced proficiency in Microsoft Excel spreadsheet software and data reporting.
- Intermediate proficiency in Microsoft Word.
We value our employees’ time and efforts. Our commitment to your success is enhanced by our competitive salary, and an extensive benefits package including paid time off, medical, dental and vision benefits, 401(k) with company match and future growth opportunities. Plus, we work to maintain the best possible environment for our employees, where people can learn and grow with the company. We strive to provide a collaborative, creative environment where each person feels encouraged to contribute to our processes, decisions, planning and culture.