Have a problem applying? Please email firstname.lastname@example.org for assistance.
Captain Plans Review (Fire Rescue) - Polk County BoCC
- Job Title
- Captain Plans Review (Fire Rescue) - Polk County BoCC
- Job ID
- Bartow, FL 33830
- Other Location
- 2470 Clower Ln, Bartow, FL 33830
CAPTAIN PLANS REVIEW
* This position is covered by a collective bargaining agreement *
**This position may require a physical ability/agility test**
Must have the physical, developmental and mental ability to perform job tasks, work efforts, responsibilities and duties of the job illustrated. The job description herein provides for the range of duties to be performed for this position. It is not intended to reflect all duties that are required within this position.
This is professional work in analyzing, evaluating, recommending modifications and approving fire protection plans and systems in new construction and existing structures. May perform field inspection work as required.
- Meets with the public, engineers, contractors, developers and/or their representatives to review phases and types of building construction plans to ensure structures meet county, state and federal fire code and ordinance compliance standards.
- Provide excellent customer service to both internal and external customers. Supervises Prevention Staff members and subordinates.
- The physical demands consist of standing, walking, climbing, lifting objects weighing up to 20 pounds, driving, and sitting.
- Performs fire safety inspections of construction sites and advises customers on violations and corrective actions necessary for compliance with fire safety codes and fire protection engineering standards.
- Determines that plans meet fire regulation compliance and authorizes the plans for permitting/inspection procedures.
- Discusses and/or refers unusual or arduous situations/plans to the Fire Marshal.
- Participates in the review of Planned Unit Development plans, building plans for new construction and major alterations of major structures in Development Review Committee process.
- Stays abreast of local, state and federal fire policy, code and ordinance changes and/or amendments.
- Provides and/or advises the Fire Marshal of needs or recommendations affection policy or procedural changes, code amendments or related matters.
- Performs duties required of Fire Code Inspector or Fire Marshal as necessary.
- Prepares letters, updates files and files plans and information as necessary.
- Performs related duties as required.
KNOWLEDGE, ABILITIES AND SKILLS
- Knowledge of fire prevention laws, ordinances, rules and regulations.
- Knowledge of Fire Rescue Division rules, regulations, practices and procedures.
- Knowledge of fire prevention methods, codes and engineering standards for various types of building designs and construction.
- Knowledge of principles and practices of fire safety and inspection techniques.
- Knowledge of the County and State fire codes as adopted.
- Ability to recognize and define fire hazards and to recommend effective remedial measures.
- Ability to read and interpret statutes, codes and ordinances.
- Ability to operate standard office equipment, motor vehicles and standard measuring devices.
- Ability to make independent decision.
- Ability to communicate effectively both orally and in writing.
- Ability to understand and carry our and written instructions.
- Ability to establish and maintain an effective working relationship with employees, officials, and public.
- Skills in understanding and/or influencing people when requiring owners and contractors to meet building codes for fire safety.
Graduate of an accredited high school or possess an acceptable equivalency diploma
Valid Certificate of Compliance as outlined in the Florida Division of State Fire Marshal Uniform Fire Safety Rules and Standards Chapter 69A-37, or a verification letter indicating that the individual meets the above requirements, and will be issued a Certificate of Compliance from the Florida Division of State Fire Marshal, Bureau of Fire Standards and Training Office.
Must have a minimum of five (5) years experience as a full time paid Firefighter in an organized, public sector, career Fire Department within the State of Florida.
Certified as a Fire Inspector I in the State of Florida with a minimum of 4 years of Fire Safety Inspection experience.
Is at least 18 years of age.
· Must have a valid driver's license and be able to secure a valid Florida driver’s license at the time of employment.
Meet the following driving history requirements:
a. Have not accrued 12 points within 36 months or 18 points within 48 months.
b. Have not been convicted on alcohol/drug related offenses within 36 mounts.
c. Have not been convicted of two (2) alcohol/drug related offenses within 10 years
d. Have not had a suspension, revocation, or restriction due to moving violations or alcohol/ drug related problem, including failure to take a breath test within the 36 months prior.
e. Must provide proof of insurance when required to use their personal vehicle as part of their daily job duties.
Experience as a fire code plans reviewer is required.
Graduate of an accredited college or university with an Associate’s (Bachelor’s preferred) college degree in fire science or fire engineering, or equivalent combination of education and experience.
Possess good interpersonal and communication skills to deal with the public.
Must be able to comprehend, speak, and write the English language.
No comparable amount of training or experience may be substituted for the above minimum qualifications or for the certificates and licensures unless such an accepted equivalent is approved by the Division of the State Fire Marshal of the Florida Department of Insurance and the Polk County Fire Rescue Division.
Must obtain and maintain Federal Bureau of Investigations (FBI) Criminal Justice Information Services (CJIS) Security Awareness certification through the Florida Department of Law Enforcement (FDLE). Employees hired into this position after January 1, 2013 must obtain and maintain this certification as a condition of employment.
Certified Fire Plans Examiner designation from the National Fire Protection Association is preferred.
Must possess the following National Incident Management System (NIMS) certifications:
a. IS-100: Introduction to the Incident Command System
b. IS-200: ICS for Single Resources and Initial Action Incidents
c. IS-700: National Incident Management System, An Introduction
d. IS-800: National Response Framework, an Introduction
Applicant/employee shall be fingerprinted and subject to personal background investigation procedures to ascertain an evaluation and determination of moral character according to Chapter 69A - 37 Firefighter's Standards and Training.
Employee must have telephone while employed with the Fire Rescue Division as employee is subject to call in emergencies.
Certified Fire Investigator 1 (or higher) in the State of Florida through the Bureau of Fire standards and Training is preferred.
Prefer a minimum of five (5) years progressively responsible investigation experience.
Location: Fire Rescue – 2470 Clower Lane Bartow, FL 33830
Compensation: $27.05 Hourly (Non Exempt)
Work Schedule: Monday – Friday 8am – 5pm
Close Posting Date: 03/27/2017 - Posting maybe removed before or after without notice